DNS failing every couple of days

When the students or teachers call and say the internet is down, i have
finally discovered that restarting DNS on the W2k server fixes the problem.
I just finished removing all the root servers and figure that DNS could
rebuild the list but what else can i do to make sure DNS will function
without restarting every couple of days? charlie

obiwan

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

> When the students or teachers call and say the internet is down,
> i have finally discovered that restarting DNS on the W2k server fixes
> the problem. I just finished removing all the root servers and figure
> that DNS could rebuild the list but what else can i do to make sure
> DNS will function without restarting every couple of days ?

First of all, I'd need some more details about how your DNS is
configured, you wrote about root-hints.. but... is your DNS using
forwarders ? And, in any case, how is it connected to the internet ?
The connection is "always on" or it gets disconnected from time
to time ?

As a rule of thumb I'd avoid use forwarders and try setting up the
DNS to use full recursion and root-hints, also, be sure that the DNS
traffic is allowed on both UDP and TCP and not only over UDP,
as a final measure, although it may be unrelated, try disabling the
EDNS0 on the server http://support.microsoft.com/?id=832223 and
also, enable server tests/monitoring (e.g. every hour) and enable
DNS full logging; as a final question.. do you have any entry in your
eventlog related to DNS or network connectivity ?

Regards

--

* ObiWan

Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/MVP/MVP.mspx
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

DNS "fail-safe" for Windows clients.
http://www.ntcanuck.com