Performance problem with new Core 2 Duo system

optionexplicit

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I just finished building my new computer. E6600, MSI 975x platinum, 2gb dd2-800 corsair, 7900gt and 3 harddrives.

Now since I have so much storage I decided to convert my cd collection to mp3. When the program I am using is converting the data the rest of the system slows down. I can still do stuff but its really sluggish. Like I'll just try to surf the internet while ripping a cd and its really choppy.

I thought that since I have a dual core processor I would be able to multitask. I turned my virus scanner off and it didn't help. Maybe its the program I am using? Its dbpoweramp, maybe there is a better freeware program? Or maybe I have something misconfigured?

The BIOS is the latest version. All the other drivers are updated as well. I am running Windows XP Professional and that has all the latest patches. I'm not overclocking at all. Something else I noticed with that Core Temp program is that the core #1 is about 5 degrees hotter than core #2 which leads me to believe that it isn't being utilized.

Is this normal or is there something wrong with my system? Thanks in advance for any help.

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
When you are doing these multi-tasking scenarios it's important to remember that software needs to built to take advantage of multiple procs. As a work around you can enter the task manager and set process affinity to one processor or another for your encoding. I'f you are doing a lot of memory intensive multi-tasking you can always benefit from more RAM . . . but with 2GB already, more would probably not help all that much (unless you are using a 64 bit OS which allows more RAM per process than win32)