XP clients registering unauthorized "Same as Parent" record

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hello,

I've been combing the Web trying to figure this one out, but I'm stumped.
Our large multi-site network has a root domain and two child domains, with a
total of 14 domain controllers. Each separate location has a DNS server that
is configured as a slave to the primary internal DNS that runs on one of the
DCs for the root domain.

Everything works great, except that periodically we start having logon
problems and - almost invariably - the difficulty is that an XP machine has
registered itself (or been registered) with a "Same as Parent" record in DNS,
resulting in some requests for the root domain going unanswered.

I initially thought it might be an issue related to defining
workgroup/domain membership after re-imaging a machine, but just this week it
happened with a machine that's been stable for nearly a year.

I'm stumped... anyone have any insight?

In news:708D0B9A-5661-430B-BE66-260D8932CEBA@microsoft.com,
Steve <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> posted this:
> Hello,
>
> I've been combing the Web trying to figure this one out, but I'm
> stumped. Our large multi-site network has a root domain and two child
> domains, with a total of 14 domain controllers. Each separate
> location has a DNS server that is configured as a slave to the
> primary internal DNS that runs on one of the DCs for the root domain.
>
> Everything works great, except that periodically we start having logon
> problems and - almost invariably - the difficulty is that an XP
> machine has registered itself (or been registered) with a "Same as
> Parent" record in DNS, resulting in some requests for the root domain
> going unanswered.
>
> I initially thought it might be an issue related to defining
> workgroup/domain membership after re-imaging a machine, but just this
> week it happened with a machine that's been stable for nearly a year.
>
> I'm stumped... anyone have any insight?

This pops up occasionally, I think you will also find it is creating SRV
records. Call MSPSS for the hotfix or apply SP2.
Netlogon incorrectly registers SRV records in DNS for Windows XP-based
clients:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825675

--?
Best regards,