I won a new processor..what should i do ??

Hey guys..

I won a AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor this weekend. :lol:
My current PC is a Athlon xp 3200+ and a upgrade is essential/necessary.

Is it worth to keep the NEW CPU or should i sell the FX and buy a x2 for the half price of the FX-55??

Where is the difference. Why the fx is sooo expensive?

Please help me to make the right choice

sry for bad english cause i´m german :o)

regards
53 answers Last reply
More about processor what
  1. Keep it and build a nice system around it.
  2. At its time of introduction, the FX-55 would have been AMD's fastest offering. You could keep it, as it would be a decent step up from your 3200. Over here in the States, your FX now sells for around $370, so I don't know how much money you could get for it if you sold it.

The question is, what would youo be doing with this computer?
  3. You could probably sell it for around $300 (about 230 Euros). Sell it and buy a 4400+ or 4600+ and a new mobo. Or you could throw in a couple hundred $$ and get a good Core 2 setup. If you do upgrade, I'd recommend a dual-core (the FX-55 is one of the fastest single core chips available). Of course, it all depends on what you plan to do with your rig.
  4. Quote:
    Keep it and build a nice system around it.

i thought so too, but when i sell the fx i can buy a AMD X2, a good mainboard and some good RAM´s for this money and i also have some bucks left.

In germany the FX is about 800€ / 1024 US$

Price in Germany
    wow..what a difference :o) is this possible ?!
    but i saw the dollar-price in ebay too.

i´m undetermined what to do.
    confusing

PS: My pc mostly used for Gaming i.e. Battlefield 2 , COD 2 ....
  5. Quote:

i thought so too, but when i sell the fx i can buy a AMD X2, a good mainboard and some good RAM´s for this money and i also have some bucks left.

wow..what a difference :o)

confusing

PS: My pc mostly used for Gaming i.e.: Battlefield 2 , COD 2 ....I would sell the FX, buy an x2 4200/x2 4600 , and if you have anything left over..put it towards either some more RAM, or a better graphics card. In order to make it seem like you actually won something, you don't want to have to put in your own money. You can contribute some of your own funds of course, but it will depend on your finances. GL :)
  6. well this is my 2 cents, if you try to sell it unless it is to someone you personaly know it will be hard to make them know 100% that this cpu is new and not messed up so basicly you will get a low price for it.

if you can get like 85% or more of market value out of it, only then would I sell it otherwise I would just drop it into your current rig and use it.

allso you could just build a nice new rig around it then sell the full pc or just use it. I just wouldnt sell it unless you can get a good price for it or you need money to feed your family or something like that
  7. Quote:
    Hey guys..

Is it worth to keep the NEW CPU or should i sell the FX and buy a x2 for the half price of the FX-55??
    regards

They're not many of them around and it is stil a pretty decent piece of CPU;
    I'D KEEP IT!
  8. Quote:
    I just wouldnt sell it unless you can get a good price for it or you need money to feed your family or something like that

second that. stick it in ur rig and up the multiplier from 13 >to> 14.

14x200 = 2800mgz. not bad for a free upgrade.

and the games u play dont use a second core anyhow. so u would not see any bonus from the X2.
  9. Quote:

PS: My pc mostly used for Gaming i.e. Battlefield 2 , COD 2 ....

For gaming the FX-55 is a great CPU. I would say keep it if I were you.

But, you really CAN'T go wrong, since you got a free CPU :D. If you sell it, it's money in the bank. If you keep it, it's a free upgrade (that's going to be a lot faster than your current 3200).
  10. Quote:

confusing

PS: My pc mostly used for Gaming i.e.: Battlefield 2 , COD 2 ....

I would sell the FX, buy an x2 4200/x2 4600 , and if you have anything left over..put it towards either some more RAM, or a better graphics card. In order to make it seem like you actually won something, you don't want to have to put in your own money. You can contribute some of your own funds of course, but it will depend on your finances. GL :)

Well, as he has a Athlon XP 3200+, he will have to change his mobo to use the CPU. If he stays with the 939, he'll have to buy a mobo and can keep the memory if it's DDR400, else he would be better selling it and going with one of the newer plataforms, either a Core 2 Duo system or a AM2 system. And at this time I'd advise getting a C2D.

PS - There's a AsRock board for Core 2 Duo, the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA that has both DDR and DDR2 slots, and can use AGP and PCI-E, so you could do a minimum effort on upgrading, keeping your video-card or memory and with the money you get from selling the FX-55 you'd get the board and a E6400.
  11. Quote:
    Definitely keep it. It is still fast enough for gaming and will be a very good upgrade from what you have. Damn I wish I could win a new processor like that. Some people have all the luck :cry:

No kidding... who wins an FX-55? I've never won anything big in my life, and my brother has won the 1st place door prize 2 times at a Microsoft conference he went to (1st was an XBOX when they were brand new, latest was a copy of Visual Studio).

But, my time for luck will come!!! :twisted:
  12. Quote:

confusing

PS: My pc mostly used for Gaming i.e.: Battlefield 2 , COD 2 ....

I would sell the FX, buy an x2 4200/x2 4600 , and if you have anything left over..put it towards either some more RAM, or a better graphics card. In order to make it seem like you actually won something, you don't want to have to put in your own money. You can contribute some of your own funds of course, but it will depend on your finances. GL :)

Well, as he has a Athlon XP 3200+, he will have to change his mobo to use the CPU. If he stays with the 939, he'll have to buy a mobo and can keep the memory if it's DDR400, else he would be better selling it and going with one of the newer plataforms, either a Core 2 Duo system or a AM2 system. And at this time I'd advise getting a C2D.

PS - There's a AsRock board for Core 2 Duo, the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA that has both DDR and DDR2 slots, and can use AGP and PCI-E, so you could do a minimum effort on upgrading, keeping your video-card or memory and with the money you get from selling the FX-55 you'd get the board and a E6400.Oops. I misread. I thought he had an A64 3200+. :?
  13. Quote:

I'd be surprised if you could still get that kind of money for that CPU. That's what it cost a year ago, before X2, before AM2, before Conroe.

I'd keep it and build a nice gaming system.

No matter what you do, you will have to spend some money.
  14. Quote:
    I just wouldnt sell it unless you can get a good price for it or you need money to feed your family or something like that

in fact at the moment i dont´t have any money left to upgrade.
    so i try to make the right choice for my "first price CPU" :o)

i think i try to earn a good price for the fx and grab a x2 4800
    in germany the x2 cost´s about 300€ / 384 USD

so theres enough money left to buy a new board and some RAM´s
  15. What are the complete specs on your current 'rig ?

An X2 4800+ wouldn't be such a great buy IMHO.
  16. Quote:
    Athlon xp 3200+

Though he didn't say what video card, and more then likely he would prolly want to invest in a good PCI-E card, as well.

Winning that FX CPU is fortutuate, but the unfortunate side is to spend more money if you don't have compadible stuff to run it.

I'd save up and make a decent gaming rig out of it, if it were me.
  17. I say pop the FX-55 into your machine and be happy! I wish someone would give me a free CPU worth upgrading too! The only free CPU's I get these days are old socket 370 Celerons!
  18. Quote:
    What are the complete specs on your current 'rig ?

An X2 4800+ wouldn't be such a great buy IMHO.

My current system:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
    2*512 MB 333 Mhz Infineon RAM @ 400 Mhz
    MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR MoBo Socket A
    Sapphire GeForce 6800 128MB
    250GB Samsung ATA-HDD with 16MB cache
  19. Errr, I don't think a MB that runs an XP CPU would run a A64 FX CPU.
  20. D'oh! Yeah, hard to run a 939 CPU in a Socket A Mobo!
  21. Heh.. Well.. Err..

ASRock 939SLI32-eSata2 $78 bucks?

But then that guy is in Euro.
  22. Quote:
    Heh.. Well.. Err..

The Price for this MoBo is about 70€ / 89$ in Germany.
    Sounds good. I will keep this in mind.

What do you think about this one ?
    Gigabyte GA-K8NF9 Socket939 nForce4
    Same price ??!!
  23. Quote:
    Heh.. Well.. Err..

Same price ??!!

I think the most tough decision would be video card for that FX.

I really wouldn't know what to recommend, and prices are lil tougher to shop, and what is available there, I would assume.

Edit: That Gigabyte be a good non-sli board with nForce 4 chipset, although its a 24 pin for PSU.
  24. i think SLI is unnecessary.
    I´m happy enough if i can afford 1 good new Graphic-Card :lol:
  25. What PSU do you have?

I edited my last post..

The ASRock will use 20 pin, but the gigabyte uses 24 pin.

And you can use a single card on the ASRock MB.
  26. Quote:
    Hey guys..

Where is the difference. Why the fx is sooo expensive?

Please help me to make the right choice

sry for bad english cause i´m german :o)

regards

sell that cr@p and get c2d 8)
  27. Quote:
    What PSU do you have?

I edited my last post..

my current PSU is an Enermax 400W with aehmm 20 Pins ( i think )
    thanks for info.
    I forgot to care about this important thing. I won´t buy a new PSU too :wink:
  28. Thinking about it, I wonder which FX55 he has.

Clawhammer or Sandy (San Deigo).

Isn't there a price/performance difference on them?
  29. Quote:
    Thinking about it, I wonder which FX55 he has.

what's the difference, if c2d beats fx62, than fx55 comparing to c2d is cr@p.
  30. Quote:
    What PSU do you have?

I edited my last post..

my current PSU is an Enermax 400W with aehmm 20 Pins ( i think )
    thanks for info.
    I forgot to care about this important thing. I won´t buy a new PSU too :wink:

Well, sometimes it can work with the 20-pin... The extra four pins are soley for the PCI-e slot, which must provide 75W from the mobo, requiring new pins. I'm 80% sure that is why. If the mobo doesn't boot, just get a converter for it. Should work fine. What are the amps on the 12V?

~Ibrahim~
  31. Quote:

what's the difference, if c2d beats fx62, than fx55 comparing to c2d is cr@p.

If he were to sell it, I just wonder if there is a price difference.

And besides, I said I'd try to make a good system out of it. I'm not comparing it to a C2D core. Nor did I say it was better.
  32. Quote:
    Heh.. Well.. Err..

Same price ??!!

I see quite a few problems here, a motherboard without AGP will require that you purchase a brand new video card, your best bet would be to opt for an innexpensive hybrid motherboard such as the Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 which will allow you to migrate your 6800 (which wasn't made by Sapphire, they only manufacture ATI video cards) and memory yet give you an upgrade path to a PCIe video card and AM2/DDR2 using a riser card.

Alternatively, you can sell the FX55 you won and use the money to purchase a C2D system based on an Asrock 775Dual-VSTA, another innexpensive hybrid motherboard that support DDR, DDR2, AGP & PCIe so you can migrate your 6800 and memory if you chose to do so.
  33. Quote:

Don´t know which core
    CPU Informations @ AMD:

Quote:
    Processor Details
    AMD Athlon™ 64 FX Details
    Processor AMD Athlon™ 64 FX
    Model FX-55
    Ordering P/N (Tray) ADAFX55DEI5AS
    Ordering P/N (PIB) ADAFX55ASBOX
    Operating Mode 32/64
    Stepping CG
    Frequency 2600Mhz
    HT Speed 2000
    Voltage 1.50V
    Max Temp 63°C
    Thermal Power 104W
    L1 Cache 128KB
    L2 Cache 1MB
    CMOS Technology 130nm SOI
    Socket Socket 939
  34. Ah.. thats the claw hammer.

The Sandy is 90 nm SOI.

Though still not sure if there is a price difference, between the 2.
  35. Quote:
    Heh.. Well.. Err..

Same price ??!!
    I'd reccomend selling your current PC and teh FX-55 and putting the money towards getting a Core2Duo setup :)
  36. And how long would you guys say, it would take him to sell that at a price he'd accept? Especially when it seems allot of people are going for C2D systems?

:lol: I'm not much of a sales person, I guess that is why I'd perfer to make working system with it. It is still a decent CPU, not the best, and free, not brought.
  37. Quote:
    And how long would you guys say, it would take him to sell that at a price he'd accept? Especially when it seems allot of people are going for C2D systems?

:lol: I'm not much of a sales person, I guess that is why I'd perfer to make working system with it. It is still a decent CPU, not the best, and free, not brought.

I'm sure there are stil some AMD fanboi's wanting a really really fast single core CPU :)
  38. Quote:
    And how long would you guys say, it would take him to sell that at a price he'd accept? Especially when it seems allot of people are going for C2D systems?

I'm sure there are stil some AMD fanboi's wanting a really really fast single core CPU :)

i know that is :cry: :oops:
  39. okay..first of all thanks for your suggestions.

i visited some online-shops and got some prices in europe:

Quote:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2x 2.67GHz S775 Boxed: $740
    AMD - ATHLON 64 FX 55 2.6GHZ IN-A-BO S939 1024KB FSB1000: $1108

I can´t find any reason that legitimate the price-difference between AMD + Intel. I watched some Benchmarks and Intel wins most....

I´m also confused about the immense price-differences between US and Europe
  40. Quote:
    okay..first of all thanks for your suggestions.

I can´t find any reason that legitimate the price-difference between AMD + Intel. I watched some Benchmarks and Intel wins most....

get e6600 (4mb cache) alot cheaper or e6400 (2mb cache), both overclock very well 8)
  41. Quote:
    okay..first of all thanks for your suggestions.

Perhaps AMD price cuts haven't really hit Euro yet? Geesh, you could get a FX62 cheaper here then that FX55.

Hell, if you could sell that puppy for 1100 bucks.. definately get a C2D setup.. :lol:
  42. Quote:

Perhaps AMD price cuts haven't really hit Euro yet? Geesh, you could get a FX62 cheaper here then that FX55.

jepp...the FX 62 is cheaper than the FX 55

FX 62 --> $940
    FX 55 --> $1108

but why ??
  43. Quote:

FX 62 --> $940
    FX 55 --> $1108

but why ??

That seems impossible, man. But, if FX-55 is really worth that much I would possibly sell it and use it towards C2D system or an FX-62 or something.
  44. Yeah, 1k+ for the second best single-core? Very high price, but that is good for you, ;)

~Ibrahim~
  45. Quote:
    Yeah, 1k+ for the second best single-core? Very high price, but that is good for you, ;)

~Ibrahim~

that is, if he finds the buyer for that price
  46. >> Is it worth to keep the NEW CPU or should i sell the FX and buy a x2 for the half price of the FX-55??

Neither. Sell them both and use the money to buy a Core 2. All AMD sucks compared to Intels now. You were talking about paying 80 for a new AMD mobo anyway so just spend 60 and get the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA instead, especially if you need AGP support. It will support all your existing hardware along with Core2.

>> Where is the difference. Why the fx is sooo expensive?
    Because all the AMD fanboys don't have a clue anymore.
  47. Quote:

FX 62 --> $940
    FX 55 --> $1108

but why ??

That seems impossible, man. But, if FX-55 is really worth that much I would possibly sell it and use it towards C2D system or an FX-62 or something.Same in Canada.

FX-62-->$999.98 CAD http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18452&vpn=ADAFX62CSBOX&manufacture=AMD

FX-55-->$1,065.91 CAD http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=15302&vpn=ADAFX55BNBOX&manufacture=AMD

Old tech. Just like trying to sell an 840EE would be very hard, yet they have to get most of the money back that they paid for the stock. :wink:
  48. Quote:
    Same in Canada.

FX-62-->$999.98 CAD http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18452&vpn=ADAFX62CSBOX&manufacture=AMD

FX-55-->$1,065.91 CAD http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=15302&vpn=ADAFX55BNBOX&manufacture=AMD

Old tech. Just like trying to sell an 840EE would be very hard, yet they have to get most of the money back that they paid for the stock. :wink:

That FX55 is a Sandy (90nm).

Now the other question I'm still curious about is the difference between the 2 (FX55 Clawhammer 130nm).

Not sure how much that would affect price difference, but I vaguely remember the only difference is heat, and OC was better on the FX55 Sandy version.

I guess the other thing to keep in mind, its no longer made, might be the only other reason why you see prices ranging that high, especially if it is an unopen box retail.
  49. Quote:
    >> Is it worth to keep the NEW CPU or should i sell the FX and buy a x2 for the half price of the FX-55??

Neither. Sell them both and use the money to buy a Core 2. All AMD sucks compared to Intels now. You were talking about paying 80 for a new AMD mobo anyway so just spend 60 and get the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA instead, especially if you need AGP support. It will support all your existing hardware along with Core2.

>> Where is the difference. Why the fx is sooo expensive?
    Because all the AMD fanboys don't have a clue anymore.

I agree with you that Intel is on top of the game right now, but way to post like an aggro 12 year old :roll:
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors Windows XP Product