Proper DNS setup with two domains - How?

Fran

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003

I have a DHCP server on our network that issues addressd and DNS
server addresses to all workstations. The problem (for me) is that I
have two domains each with their own primary DNS. I have two issues I
need to understand:

1) Since I will be sharing resourses between domains both domains need
to know about each other. How do I make sure Domain A knows about
computers in Domain B?

2) I would like the DHCP server to set the proper Primary DNS server
for Domain A and Domain B according to their primary AD servers (e.g.
Domain A's primary DNS server is it's own AD server and same for
Domain B)

Both LANs are running WIndows 2000 server with Active Directory.
Domain B's AD server is acting as the DHCP server.

Any help is appreciated!

-Fran-

> I have a DHCP server on our network that issues addressd and DNS
> server addresses to all workstations. The problem (for me) is that I
> have two domains each with their own primary DNS. I have two issues I
> need to understand:
>
> 1) Since I will be sharing resourses between domains both domains need
> to know about each other. How do I make sure Domain A knows about
> computers in Domain B?
>
> 2) I would like the DHCP server to set the proper Primary DNS server
> for Domain A and Domain B according to their primary AD servers (e.g.
> Domain A's primary DNS server is it's own AD server and same for
> Domain B)
>
> Both LANs are running WIndows 2000 server with Active Directory.
> Domain B's AD server is acting as the DHCP server.
>
> Any help is appreciated!
>
> -Fran-

Are you saying you have one DHCP server for both domains or one DHCP server
for each domain?

You should have a DHCP server serving each domain assigning the local DNS
for that domain only.
If the DNS server is Win2k you should have a secondary zone for the other
domain on each DNS server. If the DNS is Win2k3 you can use either a
conditional forwarder or stub zone for the other domain.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

"Fran >" <<fran> wrote in message
> I have a DHCP server on our network that issues addressd and DNS
> server addresses to all workstations. The problem (for me) is that I
> have two domains each with their own primary DNS. I have two issues I
> need to understand:
>
> 1) Since I will be sharing resourses between domains both domains need
> to know about each other. How do I make sure Domain A knows about
> computers in Domain B?

Make sure each DNS server holds a copy of the other
domain's zone (secondary to the other zone.)

> 2) I would like the DHCP server to set the proper Primary DNS server
> for Domain A and Domain B according to their primary AD servers (e.g.
> Domain A's primary DNS server is it's own AD server and same for
> Domain B)

You will either need to put them on different subnets to get a
different scope OR use a "User Defined Class ID".

Create the class id on the DHCP server with the differing settings,
and use "IPConfig /setclassId" on the clients of that domain to
match them up. (See [ DHCP classes ] in Help.)

> Both LANs are running WIndows 2000 server with Active Directory.
> Domain B's AD server is acting as the DHCP server.

Even if you had two DHCP servers it would not help you (with this
problem) as they are promiscuous.

You must either segrate the clients or teach them to request
different options by using a User Defined Class (or Classes.)

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE