Client PC unable to join domain

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 6, 2005 11:37:03 AM

Hello,

I have setup a domain ’home.local’ on the windows server pc. It is a
dns and domain controller. I have 1 client pc running winxp pro which
is connected wirelessly to the windows server pc. The wireless router
is the dhcp server.

I have added the client’s ip to the foward and reverse dns lookup
zones. However, when i tried to add the client pc to the domain, there
is a message saying : ’unable to connect to the domain controller in
home.local’ .

So how do i add a client to a domain? Or what are the things which i
missed?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/DNS-Client-PC-unable-join-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1702760
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:19:39 AM

In news:3_1702760_1c286259a32c3c43a8e12602d04192a3@windowsforumz.com,
weng <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> posted this:
> Hello,
>
> I have setup a domain 'home.local' on the windows server pc. It is a
> dns and domain controller. I have 1 client pc running winxp pro which
> is connected wirelessly to the windows server pc. The wireless router
> is the dhcp server.
>
> I have added the client's ip to the foward and reverse dns lookup
> zones. However, when i tried to add the client pc to the domain, there
> is a message saying : 'unable to connect to the domain controller in
> home.local' .
>
> So how do i add a client to a domain? Or what are the things which i
> missed?

The Client and the DC must use the DC's IP address for DNS. Chances are the
router is not publishing the DC's address for DNS.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps