Server 2003 with dual nics - how to choose ip dns reports

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 6, 2005 5:41:38 PM

Hi
We have a number of servers all with dual NICs connected using the
primary NIC (NIC1) into our internal network. No problem.

We want to back these servers up using a totally separate network and
so configured the secondary nic (NIC2) to have a private TCP/IP
address of the form 1.1.1.1 (first server) 1.1.1.2 (second server)
etc:

No problem all works BUT...

The second addresses (1.1.1.1 etc:)  seem to be registering in DNS and
are being picked up (sometimes) by our clients on our internal network
DESPITE having deselected the ’Register this connections addresses in
DNS’ option in TCP/IP Advanced settings.

Obviously this causes problems, is there anyway of stopping this
behaviour ?

Thanks !

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/DNS-Server-2003-dual-nics-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1711482
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 10:38:44 PM

> We want to back these servers up using a totally separate network and
> so configured the secondary nic (NIC2) to have a private TCP/IP
> address of the form 1.1.1.1 (first server) 1.1.1.2 (second server)
> etc:
>
> No problem all works BUT...
>
> The second addresses (1.1.1.1 etc:)  seem to be registering in DNS and
> are being picked up (sometimes) by our clients on our internal network
> DESPITE having deselected the 'Register this connections addresses in
> DNS' option in TCP/IP Advanced settings.

Uncheck the "register this NIC" but you may still have trouble
with a DC so try also giving it a specific DNS name and say
use this name if the first method (do not register) doesn't work.

Don't give the NIC a DNS server might help.

Make sure the "second NIC" is really second -- I (think
that I) have seen cases where the second installed/configured
NIC thought it was first -- make sure (try binding order in
the NIC properties and consider removing binding for
anything unnecessary.)

Finally, block the traffic from that address to the DNS server
if necessary. Use IPSec (filters, not IPSec encryption.)

> Obviously this causes problems, is there anyway of stopping this
> behaviour ?

Try some of the above.

If you get desparate you might try setting up the private NIC using
NWLink (netware) and NO IP so it has no IP to register. <grin>

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

!