Am I the only one who thinks that more than half of the spells in this game
are completely useless? Consider the following:

-Cure Paralyzation - Sounds like it would be nice, but you can't cast spells
while paralyzed, so there's pretty much no point whatsoever.
-Burden - Okay, can be a pain when enemies cast it on you, but I've never
seen an enemy that's carrying enough stuff that a Burden spell does anything
whatsoever to them. Maybe Gaenor or those guards in Mournhold, but that's
quite limited.
-Damage/Drain Attribute/Skill - Has anybody ever used any of these spells
against an opponent and actually noticed a difference? Ooh, this guy's
using an axe, let's see, here it is - "Drain Axe". Only by the time you
locate and cast the spell on him, you could have cast a bunch of more useful
spells, or just whacked him with whatever weapon you've got, and finished
the fight a lot sooner. The Absorb Attribute/Skill spells are slightly more
useful, though again, the draining part of it on the enemy is hardly
noticeable, and you could serve yourself much better by using a Fortify
spell instead.
-Restore Intelligence/Willpower/Luck/Personality - While these might be
useful, I've yet to see an enemy attack that drains any of these attributes.
-Blind - I've never seen any effect whatsoever when casting this spell on an
enemy. Of course, I've never seen a way to cast a 100% Blind on an enemy,
so maybe it would be useful then, but the highest Blind I've seen on a spell
you can cast is like 40%, which seems to do nothing at all.
-Demoralize - It might work, but I've never felt the need to make an enemy
run away from me.
-Rally - Same deal, only this is even less useful, as I've almost never seen
any companion or ally actually flee from combat. Rather, they prefer to get
in the way, even if they're only armed with fists. This is hardly the sort
of behavior you'd want to encourage...
-Sound - Okay, you could cast Silence which completely prevents
spellcasting, or you could cast Sound, which only reduces the chance. What
possible advantage would there be to using Sound over Silence?
-Invisibility - Marginally useful, but when you've got a high enough
Chameleon spell, (easily available from the Amulet of Shadows) there's no
reason to ever use Invisibility again...
-Light/Night Eye - Would be useful if there was such a thing as "dark" in
the game, and I've seen various mods which do add darkness, but in default,
un-modded MW, these are essentially useless.
-Disintigrate Armor/Weapon - The number of times you'd have to cast these
spells on an enemy to actually cause their gear to break makes them pretty
pointless. The armor one is particularly useless, as any armor strong
enough to cause you serious trouble when hitting an opponent is also
generally quite high in durability, meaning it would take forever to cast it
on them enough times to be of use.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:59:00 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>Am I the only one who thinks that more than half of the spells in this game
>are completely useless? Consider the following:
>
>-Cure Paralyzation - Sounds like it would be nice, but you can't cast spells
>while paralyzed, so there's pretty much no point whatsoever.

Can you use an enchanted item while paralyzed? I haven't ever tried
it in Morrowind, but it worked in Daggerfall. If so, you could use
the spell to make an enchanted item. I always use potions to cure
paralysis.

>-Light/Night Eye - Would be useful if there was such a thing as "dark" in
>the game, and I've seen various mods which do add darkness, but in default,
>un-modded MW, these are essentially useless.

I play with only Morrowind and Tribunal installed and I have found
plenty of really dark places where Light and Night Eye come in really
handy. Even cloudy nights get pretty dark. Maybe you have your Gamma
turned up too high.
--
Nyctolops

I have always found the normal MW has some very dark places. Even
moonless nights are quite dark. Perhaps you (or someone else who
plays the game on the same computer) tweaked the brightness up
on the game so that it is "always" light. If so, you can go into the
options
mode and move the slider on the "gamma" back to the center. Then
you should have lots of dark again.

Nyctolops wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:59:00 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
> wrote:
>

>>Am I the only one who thinks that more than half of the spells in this game
>>are completely useless? Consider the following:
>>
>>-Cure Paralyzation - Sounds like it would be nice, but you can't cast spells
>>while paralyzed, so there's pretty much no point whatsoever.
>

> Can you use an enchanted item while paralyzed? I haven't ever tried
> it in Morrowind, but it worked in Daggerfall. If so, you could use
> the spell to make an enchanted item. I always use potions to cure
> paralysis.

I tried this and it doesn't work in Morrowind. Had to make sure and
carry enough cure potions.

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
> Am I the only one who thinks that more than half of the spells in this game
> are completely useless? Consider the following:

<snip>
> -Restore Intelligence/Willpower/Luck/Personality - While these might be
> useful, I've yet to see an enemy attack that drains any of these attributes.

I have run into numerous encounters where all my attributes have been
trashed. Some of them may have been in mods, but some were normal
encounters. I think there are also weapons that will trash your
attributes, not that Personality has much affect in combat anyway.

<snip>
> -Light/Night Eye - Would be useful if there was such a thing as "dark" in
> the game, and I've seen various mods which do add darkness, but in default,
> un-modded MW, these are essentially useless.

My character needs the Night Eye ability with the Boots of Blinding
Speed. Being Dunmer he is at a disadvantage using the boots to begin
with. Casting a short term immunity to magic of 100 means that
everything is dark. Adding Night Eye fixes that problem.

> -Disintigrate Armor/Weapon - The number of times you'd have to cast these
> spells on an enemy to actually cause their gear to break makes them pretty
> pointless. The armor one is particularly useless, as any armor strong
> enough to cause you serious trouble when hitting an opponent is also
> generally quite high in durability, meaning it would take forever to cast it
> on them enough times to be of use.

> My character needs the Night Eye ability with the Boots of Blinding
> Speed. Being Dunmer he is at a disadvantage using the boots to begin
> with. Casting a short term immunity to magic of 100 means that
> everything is dark. Adding Night Eye fixes that problem.

I assume you mean Altmer, right? The Weakness to Magicka? I think there
must be another way around that. What if you made TWO items with Resist
Magicka 100%? Make one of them 2 seconds, and the other 1, and give them
similar names so they're always right next to eachother, cast the long one,
scroll mouse wheel quickly and cast the short one, then put the boots on. A
slightly more complicated procedure, but it's not like you'd have to do it
that often. I almost never take them off, and they rarely get damaged
enough to break. I remember when my Breton character wanted to wear them.
Of course, being Breton, she only needed 50%, but for a while I couldn't
afford to enchant even that, so I used two items I found that had 10% and
15% respectively, and along with my 50% to start with, and me casting the
spell myself for another 30%, I was able to get the full 100%. Granted, as
soon as she was able, she went and got a 50% enchanted item to save all the
hassle, but it was still possible to do with several lesser items. Not sure
whether that would work if you need more than 100% total, though...

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>>My character needs the Night Eye ability with the Boots of Blinding
>>Speed. Being Dunmer he is at a disadvantage using the boots to begin
>>with. Casting a short term immunity to magic of 100 means that
>>everything is dark. Adding Night Eye fixes that problem.
>

> I assume you mean Altmer, right? The Weakness to Magicka? I think there
> must be another way around that. What if you made TWO items with Resist
> Magicka 100%? Make one of them 2 seconds, and the other 1, and give them
> similar names so they're always right next to eachother, cast the long one,
> scroll mouse wheel quickly and cast the short one, then put the boots on. A
> slightly more complicated procedure, but it's not like you'd have to do it
> that often. I almost never take them off, and they rarely get damaged
> enough to break. I remember when my Breton character wanted to wear them.
> Of course, being Breton, she only needed 50%, but for a while I couldn't
> afford to enchant even that, so I used two items I found that had 10% and
> 15% respectively, and along with my 50% to start with, and me casting the
> spell myself for another 30%, I was able to get the full 100%. Granted, as
> soon as she was able, she went and got a 50% enchanted item to save all the
> hassle, but it was still possible to do with several lesser items. Not sure
> whether that would work if you need more than 100% total, though...

The character is Dunmer, but maybe it is the sign of the Apprentice that
is giving me the weakness to magic. I just found it easier to use an
item with a constant affect Night Eyes, such as the ring you get from
Azura at the end of the main quest since it also restores fatigue.

My take:

> -Damage/Drain Attribute/Skill

I like "Damage Strength" a lot. My favourite tactic against really tough
opponents (like Suran Underworld). Damage Strength 30 pts for 5 seconds.
Needs quite some Destruction skill to cast, though. But this brings
everyone to a halt. Then fry them from the distance. I also have an
additional area effect version of this spell in my spellbook.
Paralyse is similar, but can be resisted, what could be deadly. I
usually play mage/thief combo chars who arn't keen to enter close battle.
Drain is quite stupid, as it's only temporary.

> -Invisibility

I *love* this spell. Why fight when you can just walk by? :*) Only way
to travel Solstheim and survive it for a mid-level char (at least my
chars who usually are no hitpoint monster).

> -Night Eye

Required when using some Light mod. I run Lights 300 after seeing DeAnns
review about it here, and like it quite a lot. This mod alters lighting
in caves and crypts drastically, so without light/night-eye you don't
really see anything. :)
Though I often use torches instead, just because it looks so much cooler.

Otherwise I agree on the uselessness of the remaining spells you mentioned.

Peter

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
> Am I the only one who thinks that more than half of the spells in this game
> are completely useless? Consider the following:
>
> -Cure Paralyzation - Sounds like it would be nice, but you can't cast spells
> while paralyzed, so there's pretty much no point whatsoever.

You know!?

> -Rally - Same deal, only this is even less useful, as I've almost never seen
> any companion or ally actually flee from combat. Rather, they prefer to get
> in the way, even if they're only armed with fists. This is hardly the sort
> of behavior you'd want to encourage...

Yeah, what's really needed is a hide/quake-with-fear spell that you can
cast on companions so they will stay back and out of your way. Telling
them to "wait here" sometimes takes too long. I've resorted to casting
paralyze on a companion, more than once. Companions have no judgement
or fear of doom, and they should.

> -Light/Night Eye - Would be useful if there was such a thing as "dark" in
> the game, and I've seen various mods which do add darkness, but in default,
> un-modded MW, these are essentially useless.

Well, I disagree with that. I find night-eye to be very useful (I
prefer it to lugging torches around), but I certainly can live without
LIGHT.

Nyctolops wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:59:00 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
> wrote:
>

>>Am I the only one who thinks that more than half of the spells in this game
>>are completely useless? Consider the following:
>>
>>-Cure Paralyzation - Sounds like it would be nice, but you can't cast spells
>>while paralyzed, so there's pretty much no point whatsoever.
>

> Can you use an enchanted item while paralyzed?

Not unless it's constant effect.

wrote:

>-Damage/Drain Attribute/Skill - Has anybody ever used any of these spells
>against an opponent and actually noticed a difference? Ooh, this guy's
>using an axe, let's see, here it is - "Drain Axe". Only by the time you
>locate and cast the spell on him, you could have cast a bunch of more useful
>spells, or just whacked him with whatever weapon you've got, and finished
>the fight a lot sooner. The Absorb Attribute/Skill spells are slightly more
>useful, though again, the draining part of it on the enemy is hardly
>noticeable, and you could serve yourself much better by using a Fortify
>spell instead.

I think the skill spells are fairly useless, but I really love my custom
ranged Damage Speed. It makes some encounters in Giants much easier.

>-Light/Night Eye - Would be useful if there was such a thing as "dark" in
>the game, and I've seen various mods which do add darkness, but in default,
>un-modded MW, these are essentially useless.

Night Eye helps you see through the BoBs.

>-Disintigrate Armor/Weapon - The number of times you'd have to cast these
>spells on an enemy to actually cause their gear to break makes them pretty
>pointless. The armor one is particularly useless, as any armor strong
>enough to cause you serious trouble when hitting an opponent is also
>generally quite high in durability, meaning it would take forever to cast it
>on them enough times to be of use.

I find a custom Disintegrate Armor useful vs Gaenor.

Greg Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:59:00 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
> wrote:
>

>>-Damage/Drain Attribute/Skill - Has anybody ever used any of these spells
>>against an opponent and actually noticed a difference? Ooh, this guy's
>>using an axe, let's see, here it is - "Drain Axe". Only by the time you
>>locate and cast the spell on him, you could have cast a bunch of more useful
>>spells, or just whacked him with whatever weapon you've got, and finished
>>the fight a lot sooner. The Absorb Attribute/Skill spells are slightly more
>>useful, though again, the draining part of it on the enemy is hardly
>>noticeable, and you could serve yourself much better by using a Fortify
>>spell instead.
>

> I think the skill spells are fairly useless, but I really love my custom
> ranged Damage Speed. It makes some encounters in Giants much easier.
>

>>-Light/Night Eye - Would be useful if there was such a thing as "dark" in
>>the game, and I've seen various mods which do add darkness, but in default,
>>un-modded MW, these are essentially useless.
>

> Night Eye helps you see through the BoBs.
>

>>-Disintigrate Armor/Weapon - The number of times you'd have to cast these
>>spells on an enemy to actually cause their gear to break makes them pretty
>>pointless. The armor one is particularly useless, as any armor strong
>>enough to cause you serious trouble when hitting an opponent is also
>>generally quite high in durability, meaning it would take forever to cast it
>>on them enough times to be of use.
>

> I find a custom Disintegrate Armor useful vs Gaenor.

A single dart was a much easier way to handle him and the Hand. And
they didn't damage the armor, which was a bonus.

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> skrev i meddelelsen

> -Restore Intelligence/Willpower/Luck/Personality - While these might
> be useful, I've yet to see an enemy attack that drains any of these
> attributes.

You haven't seen anything yet. Got out of Seyda Neen already, or are you
still on board the ship? ;-)

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

> > -Restore Intelligence/Willpower/Luck/Personality - While these might
> > be useful, I've yet to see an enemy attack that drains any of these
> > attributes.
>
> You haven't seen anything yet. Got out of Seyda Neen already, or are you
> still on board the ship? ;-)

I've finished the main plotlines to Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon twice
each. I've seen plenty of attacks that drain speed, agility, and endurance
(mostly only from undeads), and I once got hit with a drain strength from a
disease (which was a real pain in the ass, as it drained my newbie
character's strength to 0, and I had no spells or items of restore strength
at the time, so I had to strip naked and run to the nearest temple to fix
it) But I've never seen any enemy use an attack which damaged any of the
other attributes. I've seen a few weapons which drain them, and that effect
is temporary, and wears off, so there's not much need to use a Restore
spell. Maybe some mods add more of these attacks, but there aren't many by
default.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:49:25 -0500, ToolPackinMama
<laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:

>> -Rally - Same deal, only this is even less useful, as I've almost never seen
>> any companion or ally actually flee from combat. Rather, they prefer to get
>> in the way, even if they're only armed with fists. This is hardly the sort
>> of behavior you'd want to encourage...

Do you have any idea how many reloads it took to do that quest that
involved getting the freed slave near Suran to Ebonheart? (I didn't
know at that point you could just use a ship - does siltstrider take
both? If so Suran -> Balmora -> Vivec dramatically cuts down the trip)

At one point I thought about trying to put the bracers back ON so he
would obey my command to stay _out_ of battle!

>Yeah, what's really needed is a hide/quake-with-fear spell that you can
>cast on companions so they will stay back and out of your way. Telling
>them to "wait here" sometimes takes too long. I've resorted to casting
>paralyze on a companion, more than once. Companions have no judgement
>or fear of doom, and they should.

Yup - the only companions I've seen that were useful for fighting were
in the Firemoth mod and even they got snuffed quickly.

>> -Light/Night Eye - Would be useful if there was such a thing as "dark" in
>> the game, and I've seen various mods which do add darkness, but in default,
>> un-modded MW, these are essentially useless.
>
>Well, I disagree with that. I find night-eye to be very useful (I
>prefer it to lugging torches around), but I certainly can live without
>LIGHT.

I also disagree - though the #1 problem with Light is that it's
immobile. Now give me a spell to set paralyse on contact and I'll show
you what I can do with traps when the bad guys try to follow...

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> Am I the only one who thinks that more than half of the spells in this game
> are completely useless? Consider the following:

Useless to the player, yes. A lot of this stuff is in the game to be
used _on_ you not _by_ you I guess.

> Do you have any idea how many reloads it took to do that quest that
> involved getting the freed slave near Suran to Ebonheart? (I didn't
> know at that point you could just use a ship - does siltstrider take
> both? If so Suran -> Balmora -> Vivec dramatically cuts down the trip)
>
> At one point I thought about trying to put the bracers back ON so he
> would obey my command to stay _out_ of battle!

Which slave is this? Is it an Argonian named Reeh-jah, by any chance? I
ask because I just created a mod that gives all of the followers better AI
to prevent specifically this problem. I don't remember a slave near Suran,
though. Reeh-jah is the closest, but he's much further north, closer to the
Erabenimsum Camp than Suran. If it's somebody else, then I've missed him
somehow, and I'll have to go back and fix his script as well...

Buser

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005

Perhaps you are unaware, Dagoth Ur is not immunt to Damage Attribute
spells. I usually end up with a really nice little ring, Damage Strength
and Speed 5 each at range about 800 charges, I like to spam that on
Golden Saints and tough melee fighters.
--
Sometimes too much drink is not enough.