Adding one host

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I have a linux mail host on my subnet and would like internal users to send
to accounts on it. How do I resolve mail to the internal machine via DNS?
I'm running SBS 2003.

Thank you,

Jason

"Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a linux mail host on my subnet and would like internal users to
send
> to accounts on it. How do I resolve mail to the internal machine via DNS?
> I'm running SBS 2003.

Mail (from a client perspective) isn't really something that
DNS understands.

(MX records are requested automatically for one SMTP server
to reach another -- actually for a Mail Transfer Agent to find
the correct SMTP server for a particular domain/zone name but
that doesn't play for client programs like Outlook, Pegasus, etc.)

So we must presume you just want to teach such programs where
the SMTP server is located (or sending mail)?

Or you may mean the Pop server (for a client receiving mail)?

Or something else...?

Presuming you want to teach the internal clients to use
linux.yourdomain.com at address 192.168.1.200 then
you could merely add the IP address directly to the client
machine email configuration.

Or you could add an A record for that name linux.yourdomain.com
with an IP value of 192.168.1.200.

As long as your internal DNS can resolve the name it will
work -- but if your internal DNS doesn't hold that zone
(e.g., it is really linux.otherdomain.com) then you have to
either forward or more likely (with Win2000) create a
single zone record.

[Which may have been your original intended question based
on the vague similarity of your subject line...]

You can add "ONE host os a domain/zone" by giving that single
host it's own 'child zone', i.e., by NOT adding otherdomain.com
but rather the specific host name a a NEW ZONE all by itself:

zone = linux.otherdomain.com

....then by adding an A record with a "blank" name (also shown
as "same as parent"). This overrides or supplies just that one
single name and not the entire (parent) zone.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE