Yet another rig looking for approval

Sean618

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Hi, I have been viewing THG for about half a year now and intently over the last month and I would just like to say thanks to all the people at THG and in the forums you are the best PC components resource on the internet. Could do with updating the graphic charts ;p

Btw I am British so unfortunately I don't have newegg, however there is scan.co.uk which I shall probably use for most of my components.

This is the PC I intend to build (mainly for gaming and music as I'll be going to uni ;P);

Intel core 2 duo E6400/E6600
Corsair 2GB TWIN2X2048-5400/6400
250 Gb Samsung SP2514N SpinPoint P120
Pioneer DVR-111
Plextor Black PX130A/T3BPB 16x DVD-ROM + 52x CD-ROM (oem)
Thermaltake Tsunami va3000swa
Thermaltake W0116RB 750W Toughpower Psu
Razer copperhead mouse
X-fi etreme music
20.1" Viewsonic VX2025wm widescreen
Sapphire ATI RADEON X1900XT
Asus P5W DH Deluxe

This will be my first PC so I would apprechiate all the help I can get. I left the motherboard and gfx card till last as I'm still not sure whether I should go for the new Asus SLI motherboard and get an Nvidia card instead, however the board costs quite a bit more and the 7900gt isn't as good as the X1900XT. For some reason I seem to prefer Nvidia, it could be all the Nvidia stickers all over the place :D.

I want to build it before october so there isn't much point wait for the new nvidia cards, is there?

With the ram is the 6400 worth the extra £20 over the 5400?

Do you think I'll need any extra cooling, I could just wait until I've build it and then check the temp?

Also I was thinking about using windows vista beta until it comes out, would this be a reasonable?

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Also I was thinking about using windows vista beta until it comes out, would this be a reasonable?

good choice on parts. fu.cking ace setup. u get ur student loan thru??? what i spent mine on. :D

scan is good for parts. aria.co.uk is quite good too. anyhow.

secondly vista beta is unstable as fuck when i tryed to run it. was a complete arse to get to work. getting the beta drivers for all ur stuff after aswell. its like working with windows 98 again. hated it. know where to get a copy??? u can get one free off MS at the mo.

the ram is also worth the £20. dont worry so much about timing, look for bandwidth with conroe. the motherboard u have chosen has some really good reveiws as well...

Sean618

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
My student loan isn't thru yet but when it does :D but I've also been working over the summer hols as well.

Aria.co.uk seem good, cheaper on quite a few things but doesn't have some of the components I want.

With the OS I might use xp just to start with and then try the beta, but I'm not willing to pay for the genuine copy of xp just for 6 months. Thanks for your help.