Dynamic IP and DNS addresses

I run a windows 2000 server as a member server. It is connected to the
Internet through an ISP with a dynamic IP address. If I assign an IP and DNS
address in the network configuration, I cannot access the Internet. So here
is my question, is there a way to promote my member server to a pdc and add
other computers (2 notebooks running xp) to my local wireless network?
If that's impossible, how to connect the xp notebooks to the local network
and share files between PC and notebooks?
Other info: the server machine has one network card to which a wireless
gateway (providing local network and internet connection) is connected.
Thanks for your time.

In news:A76589D8-3627-4AA9-9DC9-FA19171945AF@microsoft.com,
kwizyu <kwizyu@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I run a windows 2000 server as a member server. It is connected to the
> Internet through an ISP with a dynamic IP address.

> If I assign an IP
> and DNS address in the network configuration, I cannot access the
> Internet.

Not sure what you mean ... use a private IP range internally. Set up all
machines to point at your internal DNS server's LAN IP for DNS, and set up
the DNS server with forwarders to your ISP's DNS servers. They'll handle all
non-local requests.

> So here is my question, is there a way to promote my member
> server to a pdc and add other computers (2 notebooks running xp) to
> my local wireless network?

Yes...if ithey're running XP Pro and not Home.

> If that's impossible, how to connect the xp notebooks to the local
> network and share files between PC and notebooks?
> Other info: the server machine has one network card to which a
> wireless gateway (providing local network and internet connection) is
> connected. Thanks for your time.

Since you don't even need an Internet connection to create/use AD, sure. You
need *internal* DNS for AD - whether you connect to the internet or not.
Just make sure you think very hard about security - make sure your wireless
gateway offers at least some semblance of protection for both wired &
wireless connections, or you'll soon have unwanted visitors.