Sign in with
Your question

How to get 31% oveclock on E6300 + Bad Axe D975XBX

Last response: in Motherboards
August 21, 2006 10:08:48 PM

I bought a TigerDirect bundle including a Rev. 304 Bad Axe and Conroe E6300. Running great so far, with easy overclock in BIOS to +30% FSB. So I'm getting 347MHz bus speed, FSB 1387MHz, and core speed 2427MHz.

Flashed to the latest bios, 1334. However, for the life of me, I cannot get the bus above the +30% mark.

In BIOS, it lets me use a value over 30%, but even if set to (say) 35% it still shows 347MHz / 2427MHz in CPU-Z. In other words -- no effect.

I even tried taping a wire across the OC DEBUG jumpers to see if that enabled exceeding the limits. I had to reset to default bios settings afterward and reconfigure, but didn't notice any changes (or any new BIOS options).

I do know that I have the IDT CV115FPVG clock generator, in case that makes a difference.

Has anyone out there (ElBurro??) successfully overclocked beyond the 30% bios limitation? If so, does your board have the IDT clock gen? What am I missing here? I have read forum posts on this for the last two days and cannot seem to get anywhere.....

Thanks!

mk
August 22, 2006 5:44:57 AM

Quote:
I bought a TigerDirect bundle including a Rev. 304 Bad Axe and Conroe E6300. Running great so far, with easy overclock in BIOS to +30% FSB. So I'm getting 347MHz bus speed, FSB 1387MHz, and core speed 2427MHz.

Flashed to the latest bios, 1334. However, for the life of me, I cannot get the bus above the +30% mark.

In BIOS, it lets me use a value over 30%, but even if set to (say) 35% it still shows 347MHz / 2427MHz in CPU-Z. In other words -- no effect.

I even tried taping a wire across the OC DEBUG jumpers to see if that enabled exceeding the limits. I had to reset to default bios settings afterward and reconfigure, but didn't notice any changes (or any new BIOS options).

I do know that I have the IDT CV115FPVG clock generator, in case that makes a difference.

Has anyone out there (ElBurro??) successfully overclocked beyond the 30% bios limitation? If so, does your board have the IDT clock gen? What am I missing here? I have read forum posts on this for the last two days and cannot seem to get anywhere.....

Thanks!

mk

There are 2 clock generators used on the Bad Axe -304 boards. The IDT and the ICS. Apparently the ICS has better overclocking capability at this time. I had heard that they are currently working on a Bios that will include additional Bios programming for the IDT clock generator that is supposed to allow additional overclocking headroom. I don't have any eta for it. Suggest either returning the board for one with a ICS clock or keep checking the support.intel.com site for a newer bios.
August 24, 2006 1:32:50 AM

Quote:
[...]
Has anyone out there (ElBurro??) successfully overclocked beyond the 30% bios limitation? If so, does your board have the IDT clock gen? What am I missing here?
[...]

Absolutely.

You should see different choices when you connect two left "OC Debug" pads and this includes being able to change CPU voltage.

Do you see this? Do you see CPU voltage selection? If not you are not making a good connection (and that's weird because it doesn't need a strong connection) and you are not getting OC Debug menu.

My recommendation is to get a "Conductive Pen" which will let you make a little silver trace between those pads. You can remove the BIOS jumper while you make the trace and then replace it after the trace dries (about 10 minutes).

If you need to remove trace clean off the trace with lighter fluid on a Q-Tip

My board uses ICS but unless you get the OC Debug menu you cannot go above 30 in the BIOS. With OC Debug you will be able to go to 50.

With reasonable cooling and a good power supply I'll you can hit 50 no problem.

Did you reduce memory speed to 533 (VERY IMPORTANT)?

I bought the Tigerdirect bundle too. 399US for the D975XBX and the CPU!

Using ClockGen I pull it up a bit more equivalent to about 59%, but believe me 50% O/C on that makes it blazing fast. You don't need ClockGen.
!