hi trying to get connectin specific dns to work and failing

Hi All

Just been playing with my home lan and i have a question. I have a
notebook with a wireless nic and a wired nic. I want the notebook when
connected to the lan via the wireless nic to have FQDN of
notebook.wireless.mydomain.local and when connected via wire to just be
notebook.mydomain.local

Obviously my domain is called mydomain.local running AD Int DNS on a
2k3 server :-) the server is connected to a 4meg DSL line via a Dlink
wireless router however the Win 2k3 server does all DNS and DHCP duties
the router is there purely as a gateway, all internal dns point to the
2k3 server. Clients are XPSP2

I am studying for my MCSE and while I know this isnt exactly in the
book playing with stuff like this helps me understand the underlying
concepts and when something doesnt work I want to know why :-)

Now I selected, on the wireless nic properties to "use this connections
dns suffix in dns registration" and gave it the required suffix of
wireless.mydomain.local (not too sure this is right to achieve what i
want???)

I ran ipconfig /registerdns and much of what i expected happened it
created a domain under mydomain.local forward zone called "wireless"
and in there was as i expected the host A record called "notebook"
pointing notebook.wireless.mydomain.local to the notebooks wireless NIC
IP .....all good so far

BUT..

There is also a host A record in the mydomain.local zone called
notebook pointing to the notebooks wireless adaptor therefore when
pinging 10.0.0.100 (ip of the notebook wnic) it resolves to
notebook.mydomain.local and not notebook.wireless.mydomain.local. I
have tried deleting this record however when i run ipconfig
/registerdns on the client it puts it back.....why?

ie

notebook.mydomain.local in zone
mydomain.local
notebook.wireless.mydomain.local in zone
wireless.mydomain.local

I only want the connection specific dns registering can anyone confirm
if when running ipconfig/registedns on a NIC which has a connection
specific dns it registers both the connection specific dns name and the
non specified dns name too

If so is it not possible to have my FQDN as
notebook.wireless.mydomain.local when connected via the Wnic and then
have the FQDN of notebook.mydomain.local when connected via a cable?

--
pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
6 answers Last reply

    In news:SMOdnXGfkfW6xTbfRVn_vg@giganews.com,
    pscyime <pscyime.1qhe5n@> posted this:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Just been playing with my home lan and i have a question. I have a
    > notebook with a wireless nic and a wired nic. I want the notebook when
    > connected to the lan via the wireless nic to have FQDN of
    > notebook.wireless.mydomain.local and when connected via wire to just
    > be notebook.mydomain.local
    >
    > Obviously my domain is called mydomain.local running AD Int DNS on a
    > 2k3 server :-) the server is connected to a 4meg DSL line via a Dlink
    > wireless router however the Win 2k3 server does all DNS and DHCP
    > duties the router is there purely as a gateway, all internal dns
    > point to the 2k3 server. Clients are XPSP2
    >
    > I am studying for my MCSE and while I know this isnt exactly in the
    > book playing with stuff like this helps me understand the underlying
    > concepts and when something doesnt work I want to know why :-)
    >
    > Now I selected, on the wireless nic properties to "use this
    > connections dns suffix in dns registration" and gave it the required
    > suffix of wireless.mydomain.local (not too sure this is right to
    > achieve what i want???)
    >
    > I ran ipconfig /registerdns and much of what i expected happened it
    > created a domain under mydomain.local forward zone called "wireless"
    > and in there was as i expected the host A record called "notebook"
    > pointing notebook.wireless.mydomain.local to the notebooks wireless
    > NIC IP .....all good so far
    >
    > BUT..
    >
    > There is also a host A record in the mydomain.local zone called
    > notebook pointing to the notebooks wireless adaptor therefore when
    > pinging 10.0.0.100 (ip of the notebook wnic) it resolves to
    > notebook.mydomain.local and not notebook.wireless.mydomain.local. I
    > have tried deleting this record however when i run ipconfig
    > /registerdns on the client it puts it back.....why?

    It is being registered using the Primary DNS suffix from the System control
    panel. (Computer name tab)

    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================

    Thanks for the response

    so if i understand this correctly ( and pls advise if i dont cus i'm
    not too sure) i cant have my notebook register with notebook.wireless.
    when it connects via its Wnic? and as just notebook when using the
    wired NIC?

    if so what is connection specific dns for if it is just overwritten by
    the computername and primary dns suffix concatenation?

    I dont really mean overwritten but both records for notebook.wireless
    and notebook are creating when this client registers with DNS and when
    pinging it automatically resolves to notebook not notebook.wireless
    which in my understanding of connection specific dns kinda defeats the
    object of having a connection specific dns suffix if the primary is
    always registered and resolve to first?

    I just want it like this so when I look at all te DHCP leases from the
    server i can see when it is connected wireless cus it will have FQDN as
    notebook.wireless.mydomain.local and when via wired the same FQDN ust
    without the wireless part

    Possible or no? cus from what you said initially i am now thinking that
    maybe this isnt possible

    --
    pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    In news:fdadncYAl7rWgzHfRVn_vg@giganews.com,
    pscyime <pscyime.1qih9y@> posted this:
    > Thanks for the response
    >
    > so if i understand this correctly ( and pls advise if i dont cus i'm
    > not too sure) i cant have my notebook register with notebook.wireless.
    > when it connects via its Wnic? and as just notebook when using the
    > wired NIC?
    >
    > if so what is connection specific dns for if it is just overwritten by
    > the computername and primary dns suffix concatenation?
    >
    > I dont really mean overwritten but both records for notebook.wireless
    > and notebook are creating when this client registers with DNS and when
    > pinging it automatically resolves to notebook not notebook.wireless
    > which in my understanding of connection specific dns kinda defeats the
    > object of having a connection specific dns suffix if the primary is
    > always registered and resolve to first?
    >
    > I just want it like this so when I look at all te DHCP leases from the
    > server i can see when it is connected wireless cus it will have FQDN
    > as notebook.wireless.mydomain.local and when via wired the same FQDN
    > ust without the wireless part
    >
    > Possible or no? cus from what you said initially i am now thinking
    > that maybe this isnt possible

    You would have to remove the Primary DNS suffix from the system control
    panel. Then registration would only take place using the Connection specific
    DNS suffix.

    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================

    Hi K

    "Remove the primary dns suffix from the computername tab"

    If i were to do that then it would cause issue when using the wired
    card ( or would i set a connection specific dns for that nic also?)

    How can you remove the primary dns suffix from the system control
    panel>computername tab as the primary dns suffix is the name of the
    domain the client is a member of ? It appears that the computername and
    primery suffix concatenation is always registered regardless of what
    setting you employ on the NICs tcpip properties ie connection specific
    dns

    I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that connection specific dns is a
    bit of a misnoma as the computername and primary dns suffix is always
    used in dns registration regardless of whether you select connection
    specific dns or not

    Can anyone explain a scenario where ,(with the above mentioned
    functionality, and the fact that both DNS names are registered )
    connection specific dns is of any use at all?

    I am sure it would be useful unless why was it implemented just cant
    think of a scenario that fits the criteria, but that far from means
    that one doesnt exist !!!!

    Thanks for all your input K

    Regards

    Si

    --
    pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    In news:NZudnTcFNIvfGTHfRVn_vg@giganews.com,
    pscyime <pscyime.1qj1ez@> stated, and I replied below:
    > Hi K
    >
    > "Remove the primary dns suffix from the computername tab"
    >
    > If i were to do that then it would cause issue when using the wired
    > card ( or would i set a connection specific dns for that nic also?)
    >
    > How can you remove the primary dns suffix from the system control
    > panel>computername tab as the primary dns suffix is the name of the
    > domain the client is a member of ? It appears that the computername
    > and primery suffix concatenation is always registered regardless of
    > what setting you employ on the NICs tcpip properties ie connection
    > specific dns
    >
    > I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that connection specific dns is
    > a bit of a misnoma as the computername and primary dns suffix is
    > always used in dns registration regardless of whether you select
    > connection specific dns or not
    >
    > Can anyone explain a scenario where ,(with the above mentioned
    > functionality, and the fact that both DNS names are registered )
    > connection specific dns is of any use at all?
    >
    > I am sure it would be useful unless why was it implemented just cant
    > think of a scenario that fits the criteria, but that far from means
    > that one doesnt exist !!!!
    >
    > Thanks for all your input K
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Si

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Connection Specific name is the
    default for that NIC if a Primary DNS Suffix is not configured. If one is,
    such as a machine joined to a domain, then that overrides the COnnection
    Specific Suffix.

    To do what you want to do, depending on your wireless setup, whether in
    corporate (bridged mode) or in a NAT for the wireless side (such as a NAT
    access point), you may be able to setup a separate DHCP service on the
    access point just for the wireless subnet. If in bridge mode, this is not an
    option. But then again, this will not work with AD/DHCP DNS dynamic updates.

    Maybe you can configure a script to do this?

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
    =================================
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:NZudnTcFNIvfGTHfRVn_vg@giganews.com,
    pscyime <pscyime.1qj1ez@> posted this:
    > Hi K
    >
    > "Remove the primary dns suffix from the computername tab"
    >
    > If i were to do that then it would cause issue when using the wired
    > card ( or would i set a connection specific dns for that nic also?)

    Yes, you would have to give the wired NIC a Connection DNS suffix for the
    domain it would register in.

    > How can you remove the primary dns suffix from the system control
    > panel>computername tab as the primary dns suffix is the name of the
    > domain the client is a member of ? It appears that the computername
    > and primery suffix concatenation is always registered regardless of
    > what setting you employ on the NICs tcpip properties ie connection
    > specific dns

    In the System Control Panel, on the Computer Name tab, click the "Change"
    button, then click the "More" button, clear the "Primary DNS suffix of this
    computer" field and clear the "Change primary DNS suffix when domain
    membership changes" check box.

    > I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that connection specific dns is
    > a bit of a misnoma as the computername and primary dns suffix is
    > always used in dns registration regardless of whether you select
    > connection specific dns or not

    The primary DNS suffix is always used in registration, the connection DNS
    suffix is only used when the box "Use the DNS suffix in DNS registration" is
    selected. If the computer has both a primary and a connection DNS suffix,
    then it will attempt registration using both suffixes.
    If the machine is multihomed and has two connection suffixes, it will
    attempt registration with the suffix on active connection(s). If only one
    connection is active, it will use that suffix.

    > Can anyone explain a scenario where ,(with the above mentioned
    > functionality, and the fact that both DNS names are registered )
    > connection specific dns is of any use at all?

    The connection suffix is used in the scenario you are trying to set up.

    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps