Wrong DNS information thru DHCP

We are facing some issues with IP addresses being got by DHCP Server. The DNS
Server information got from DHCP is different from the one defined in DHCP
Server. We have 10.0.1.12 defined as primary DNS while we are getting
192.168.1.1. Please let me know how can we resolve this issue. Users are
facing problems because of this issue.

<Fazal-Ur Rehman>; "Shah" <FazalUrRehmanShah@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:8C836F93-39BF-4C15-91F1-35193123405E@microsoft.com...
> We are facing some issues with IP addresses being got by DHCP Server. The
DNS
> Server information got from DHCP is different from the one defined in DHCP
> Server.

Then you likely have either MULTIPLE DHCP servers
(they are promiscuous and there is not way to predict
which one will answer) with scopes on the subnet.

OR your clients have their own DNS value SPECIFIED
on their NICs. Client configurations of DNS, WINS, and
Default Gateway override those offered by the DHCP
server -- only IP and subnet mask are required to be from
the DHCP server.

> We have 10.0.1.12 defined as primary DNS while we are getting
> 192.168.1.1.

Were it to be 192.168.0.1 it would look suspiciously like an
ICS machine running perhaps on a client OS (Win98 or WinXP etc.)

Of course it could be one of your people studying for their MCSE
exam <grin>

> Please let me know how can we resolve this issue. Users are
> facing problems because of this issue.

Go to such a client and run IPConfig /all -- note the DHCP server
and check THAT machine for the proper scope definition (or
educate your users about what they may install.)

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

In news:8C836F93-39BF-4C15-91F1-35193123405E@microsoft.com,
Fazal-Ur Rehman, Shah <FazalUrRehmanShah@discussions.microsoft.com> posted
this:
> We are facing some issues with IP addresses being got by DHCP Server.
> The DNS Server information got from DHCP is different from the one
> defined in DHCP Server. We have 10.0.1.12 defined as primary DNS
> while we are getting 192.168.1.1. Please let me know how can we
> resolve this issue. Users are facing problems because of this issue.

Do you have a router?

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> In news:8C836F93-39BF-4C15-91F1-35193123405E@microsoft.com,
> Do you have a router?

I am sending you another test message -- the SPF is likely
completely correct now.

Let me know if this is a burden....

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:45:02 -0700, Fazal-Ur Rehman, Shah
<FazalUrRehmanShah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We are facing some issues with IP addresses being got by DHCP Server. The DNS
>Server information got from DHCP is different from the one defined in DHCP
>Server. We have 10.0.1.12 defined as primary DNS while we are getting
>192.168.1.1. Please let me know how can we resolve this issue. Users are
>facing problems because of this issue.

192.168.1.1 sounds like a range assigned by a broadband/cable/wireless
router.

Jeff