Zone files are not saved to disk, and are then lost on reb..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 13, 2005 8:12:49 PM

Hello all.

Short description of the problem:
Server looses records added since last reboot, and server data files are not
updated (data are instead placed in temp files on editing the zone in DNS
manager). The modifications are then lost on reboot of the server.

Long description:
Have a server that has "lost" A pointers two times now.
The first time, I didn't think much of it, but now it happened again.

When checking the DNS in DNS manager, everything looked fine, apart from the
missing A records.
I added the records, and updated the serial for the zones, just to have
fresh (even though it is a master and thus should load the zone from another
server)..

I then looked in the \WINNT\System32\dns directory, and saw something really
strange.

For each zone, that had been updated since the last reboot, there was a
<zone file name>.temp file.
For example: Say that I have a zone called
example.com. The zone file containing the zone data then has the file
name example.com.dns.

If I then add an A record to that zone, and then do a "Update Server Data
Files", the example.com.dns file WILL NOT get updated.
What happens is that a NEW file, called example.com.dns.temp is created,
that looks like the original file, apart from the fact that this file
contains the new A record. The example.com.dns however, does not contain the
new record.
When I then restart the DNS Server service, sure enough, the entries in the
temp files are NOT read, and the records are thus missing from the zone.

I have checked the permissions on the affected zones (at current count there
are 4 temp files in the dns directory), but can't see anything obviously
wrong with them.

Ho hum..
Ehhhh.

The error was so simple it shames me to admit it, but ....
The files were read only. Removed the read only attribute, and everything
went fine.

I wouldn't have posted this since I found the error before doing the post,
except for the fact that I searched MS Technet and KB, as well as Google,
and could find a thing. So I'm posting this so that if another idiot like me
posts the question, you all know what the problem probably is, and can the
help the poor schmuck.

// Cheers.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:30:43 AM

In news:%23JHmrICcFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Henrik <henrik_the_boss@hotmail.com> stated, and I replied below:
> Hello all.
>
> Short description of the problem:
> Server looses records added since last reboot, and server data files
> are not updated (data are instead placed in temp files on editing the
> zone in DNS manager). The modifications are then lost on reboot of
> the server.
>

> Long description:
> Have a server that has "lost" A pointers two times now.
> The first time, I didn't think much of it, but now it happened again.
>
> When checking the DNS in DNS manager, everything looked fine, apart
> from the missing A records.
> I added the records, and updated the serial for the zones, just to
> have fresh (even though it is a master and thus should load the zone
> from another server)..
>
> I then looked in the \WINNT\System32\dns directory, and saw something
> really strange.
>
> For each zone, that had been updated since the last reboot, there was
> a <zone file name>.temp file.
> For example: Say that I have a zone called
> example.com. The zone file containing the zone data then has the
> file name example.com.dns.
>
> If I then add an A record to that zone, and then do a "Update Server
> Data Files", the example.com.dns file WILL NOT get updated.
> What happens is that a NEW file, called example.com.dns.temp is
> created, that looks like the original file, apart from the fact that
> this file contains the new A record. The example.com.dns however,
> does not contain the new record.
> When I then restart the DNS Server service, sure enough, the entries
> in the temp files are NOT read, and the records are thus missing from
> the zone.
>
> I have checked the permissions on the affected zones (at current
> count there are 4 temp files in the dns directory), but can't see
> anything obviously wrong with them.
>

> Ho hum..
> Ehhhh.
>
> The error was so simple it shames me to admit it, but ....
> The files were read only. Removed the read only attribute, and
> everything went fine.
>

> I wouldn't have posted this since I found the error before doing the
> post, except for the fact that I searched MS Technet and KB, as well
> as Google, and could find a thing. So I'm posting this so that if
> another idiot like me posts the question, you all know what the
> problem probably is, and can the help the poor schmuck.
>
> // Cheers.

Wow, that's swallowing your pride in order to aid others.

Thanks for letting everyone know.

On a side note, permissions can offer good security control, but can also be
the root of problems if not configured properly.

:-)

Cheers!

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
!