azokaei

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Hi just a while ago i was cleaning my cousins computer and then when i went to go turn it back i plugged all the cords back in and the power supply started making a weird whoosing sound kinda like a whitsle or something. Here are his specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
512 MB pc3200 ram
80 gig western digital hard drive
Gigabyte Geforce 6600 PCIE
Antec Sonata 2 w/ 450w smart power 2.0 PSU
windows xp home
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum

kshipper

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
I have run into similar problems and it can be a fan inside the case just about anywhere. Check the Power Supply Fan be putting your ear right up close to see if it's really loud just there. Open the case and take a look for other fans that the noise could be coming from.(look for wirebundles that have been moved and might be touching rotating fans since you just cleaned it) Some case have a 2 or 3 on the case itself and some of the front fans can be hidden from view. Take a look at the video card fan or the northbridge fan on the motherboard. A common size fan to use is 8cm for the PSU and the case fans if you need to replace one.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Yup, agree with the previous poster. Probably a cable hitting a fans casing or something. Whistling is odd, though...Are you 100% sure it is the PSU fan? Turn it on, flip open the case, and listen carefully. More often than not, it is a fan issue..

~Ibrahim~

azokaei

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
yeah i am sure because i opened it and nothing is touching any of the fans.And its coming from the PSU because i just plugged the power connector into the PSU and it started making that noise i didnt power it on.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I am beginning to wonder about the SP PSUs. I had no issues with my machine for years until I moved for a short time (6 month rental until my house was finished). The house we rented was DUSTY. So I cleaned the machine twice in 6 months. It really needed it. After the second cleaning in 6 months the PSU which is supposed to be relatively quiet is making quite a noise now.

Antec Sonata I with the 380W PSU. The PSU has been great but I am seeing issues with it keeping up during HOT days. I bought a new 450W this weekend since that is more than I need for that machine.

So ame issue for me.... I used canned air to clean everything (just like I did all the time in the past).

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I assume you were using canned air and were blowing some dust bunnies around or something . . . whistling makes it sound like some foreign object got into the PSU's fan housing. Try blowing the canned air through your PSU's fan grate.

If the whistling sounds different than "air," it could be a dying fan motor . . . how old of a system are we talking about here?

Smart Power PSU's are definitely not Antec's flagship product, I've had mixed luck with them personally. On the upside they have a 3 year warranty which your friend may want to look into if it's not too late.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Canned air is not a noob thing....

It is the preferred method when used properly. It has also been used for many many years with very good results...

Not sure what you used now.. How exactly did you clean it?

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
it not even 1 year old and i didnt use canned air im not a noob

Yeah, I never meant to imply "canned air=n00b" canned air is about the best thing there is for blasting crap out of heatsinks and cases. I was just wondering if some little bits got blown into the fan assembly by mistake. "whistling" or "whining" could be a lot of things, just wondering if it was an "air" or "mechanical" sound.

If the sound doesn't resolve itself after another round of cleaning and inspection, then I'd seriously consider contacting Antec about a replacement; like you said it's only a year old, and you are still well under warranty. Just don't pop your PSU open to "fix" it, that'll be bye-bye warranty.