DNS Resolving to internet adderss intermittently

Hello, if anyone can shed any light on this please do.

The domain name we used for AD is dfferent from the registered domain name
we have on the internet. Someone else out there has registered the same
domain name we used internally. Now when accessing our servers, from time to
time the DNS points outside to their server instead of our exchange server or
our file/print server..

The only fix I have found is more of a bandage that a fix. I added our
servers to pcs host files. This seems to have solved the problem on those
machines. But the problem creeps up on machines that have not been "bandaged".

Does anyone know of a fix for this other than changing out internal domain
name?

"Mike P" <Mike P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, if anyone can shed any light on this please do.
>
> The domain name we used for AD is dfferent from the registered domain name
> we have on the internet. Someone else out there has registered the same
> domain name we used internally. Now when accessing our servers, from time
> time the DNS points outside to their server instead of our exchange server
or
> our file/print server..

They symptoms are usually associated with mixing (incorrectly)
both internal and external DNS servers on the client NIC->IP
properties.

Internal clients must use STRICTLY internal DNS servers.

If that is the case, the internal servers will not only supply
any internal name resolutions, they will short circuit any
external conflicting names.

> The only fix I have found is more of a bandage that a fix. I added our
> servers to pcs host files. This seems to have solved the problem on those
> machines. But the problem creeps up on machines that have not been
"bandaged".

Yes, you are just band-aiding the problem -- it is usually
simple to fix:

Remove all external DNS servers from the clients NICs

(Your Internal DNS should resolve external names or forward
to do that.)

> Does anyone know of a fix for this other than changing out internal domain
> name?

The name conflict is another problem, unrelated to your actual
issue if I have guessed correctly. (It's a high probability guess.)

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE