WINS running on DC/DNS servers

Currently WINS services are housed in two dedicated WIn2000 boxes.
I am doing a migration to WIn2003 and I am considering installing WINS in
the Win2003 DNS servers(ADI), instead of buying separate boxes for WINS.

Please let me know if that's a problem.
2 answers Last reply
More about wins running servers

    In news:u0e4NSpcFHA.892@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Marlon <marlon-nospam@hotmail.com> posted this:
    > Currently WINS services are housed in two dedicated WIn2000 boxes.
    > I am doing a migration to WIn2003 and I am considering installing
    > WINS in the Win2003 DNS servers(ADI), instead of buying separate
    > boxes for WINS.
    >
    > Please let me know if that's a problem.

    There should be no problem.

    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================

    "Marlon" <marlon-nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Currently WINS services are housed in two dedicated WIn2000 boxes.
    > I am doing a migration to WIn2003 and I am considering installing WINS in
    > the Win2003 DNS servers(ADI), instead of buying separate boxes for WINS.
    >
    > Please let me know if that's a problem.

    For all but the very largest domains the WINS servers
    are no big deal running with the AD and DNS.

    If performance ever becomes a problem (unlikely on
    today's modern hardware) you can consider additional
    WINS servers or moving them to separate servers.

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

Microsoft DNS Servers Windows