  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
March 14, 2005 11:35:13 PM

Well, Beta, anyhow, as it's actually more work to test the mod than it is to
make it. It should be fully working, though. Take a look, and let me know
if there are any problems. Actually, since I've got you people to help, if
you could just report to me in this thread whenever an escort mission goes
off without a hitch, I'll check off all the names of the characters that
worked properly, and once I've confirmed them all, I'll remove the Beta tag.
So far, the following NPCs have been tested and seem to work perfectly:

Edras Oril
Huleeya
Itermerel
Rollie the Guar (a few extras on him :)
Tarvyn Faryn
Teris Raledran
Viatrix Petilia

The complete list is in the readme included with the mod.

Just go to www.tesmods.net, and look for "Lurlock's Improved Followers" in
the Game Improvements section. You can also find my recent Left Gloves mod
there, as well as my first two mods, Key Namer and Scroll Icons, in the
Miscelaneous and Graphic Replacers sections, respectively. Enjoy.

More about : improved followers mod complete

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:24:34 PM

I'll test the mod as soon as possible, but there's already
something you should correct:
The mod contains those "72 evil GMST" entries and 2 unclean
dialog entries. In other words: It needs to be cleaned up.
An easy way to do this is to load the mod within the
"Enchanted Editor" and remove all Game Settings.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, have a look at
this site:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/argent2/mw/tech/gmst.htm...

Björn
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:23:48 AM

> I'll test the mod as soon as possible, but there's already
> something you should correct:
> The mod contains those "72 evil GMST" entries and 2 unclean
> dialog entries. In other words: It needs to be cleaned up.
> An easy way to do this is to load the mod within the
> "Enchanted Editor" and remove all Game Settings.
> If you don't know what I'm talking about, have a look at
> this site:
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/argent2/mw/tech/gmst.htm...

Okay, I've cleaned it, I think. I ran into another bug with one of the
NPCs, so I'm fixing that as well. (Tul, the fake slave near the Arvel
Plantation.) That's the hardest part about this mod, really. Testing all
of these NPCs is more difficult than writing the code. It should work now,
but I'm going to do some more testing before uploading a fixed version.
March 16, 2005 12:31:37 AM

Tul is now working properly. (He's the only one that I *didn't* put the
friendly-fire script on, because if you do the quest properly, he turns on
you, and with the code preventing him from starting combat when you hit him,
it was interfering with the quest. It is fixed now.)
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 1:17:37 AM

When reading the reeh_jahScript I found the following lines:

if ( OnDeath == 1 )
Journal "MV_FakeSlave" 90
endif

That journal entry refers to Tul, not to Reeh-Jah; the correct
Journal entry would be "MV_RunawaySlave" 90

Two things about the water_breathin_permanent abitlity:
Activating the "Always Succeeds" checkbox is unnecessary for an Ability.
Is there a reason why you didn't use this ability on all followers?

I'll keep you updated on my tests.

Björn
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 1:17:38 AM

> When reading the reeh_jahScript I found the following lines:
>
> if ( OnDeath == 1 )
> Journal "MV_FakeSlave" 90
> endif
>
> That journal entry refers to Tul, not to Reeh-Jah; the correct
> Journal entry would be "MV_RunawaySlave" 90

Oops, not sure how that happened, since I did Reeh-Jah before I did Tul. (I
didn't even know about Tul until I happened to see his script while
searching for any other NPC scripts with the word "follow" in the title.
There's a good chance I've missed several other NPCs if they don't have the
word in the title.)

> Two things about the water_breathin_permanent abitlity:
> Activating the "Always Succeeds" checkbox is unnecessary for an Ability.
> Is there a reason why you didn't use this ability on all followers?

I just copied the settings from the Hilda mod. (Where I got most of my
scripts from.) As for why I didn't include it on all of them, I left it off
in the case of characters that never go outside (and thus won't see water)
and in the case of Reeh-Jah, I figured it was redundant, since he's an
Argonian.

> I'll keep you updated on my tests.

Thanks, this helps a lot. Part of the problem with adding these scripts is
that the original scripts are very different in structurein many cases, and
you can't use the same technique to alter all of them. (Malexa's original
script, for example, doesn't have any reference to the fact that she follows
you. Her follow script is all in her dialogue, and her arrival script is
attached to her husband, Sason. This has the unfortunate side-effect that
you can complete this quest simply by telling Malexa to "Wait here", and
then going and finding Sason on your own. Malexa doesn't have to be
anywhere near you or Sason for you to complete the quest.) These scripts
were obviously designed by many different people over at Bethesda, and I've
gotten to where I can even tell who did what by their coding style. (I
don't know any of their names, but I can tell that, for example, Viatrix
Petilia and Fonus Rathryon were done by the same person, but Pemenie and
Rabinna weren't, etc.) But still, the hardest part is that you can't do all
of the quests with one character, and some of them only happen late in the
game, and you can't do any of them more than once, so it's very hard to test
all of them to make sure they work. That's why I've only released this as
Beta, as I'm sure that more bugs like this will come up. Please let me know
when escort missions work correctly as well. That way I can mark them off
as tested, since I know they work.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 3:39:00 AM

Arrgh. Looks like I've got some work to do this weekend. I just went
through the scripts one by one, searching for more following code, and I've
found a bunch more followers I missed that I'll need to add the scripts to.
Here is a list of followers which are NOT changed in this plugin:

- Corky - (Guar at Llovyn's Farmhouse)
- Dandsa - (Woman in Abernanit near Gnaar Mok)

- Fjorgeir - (Nord man in front of Hlaalu stronghold on Odai Plateau)
- Frelene Acques - (Breton woman in Vivec, Hlaalu prison cell)
- Hides-His-Foot - (Argonian slave on Dren Planation, needing escort to
Sterdecan's Farm)
- Paur Maston - (Breton man near Dirara's Farm, looking for escort to Molag
Mar)
- Saprius Entius - (Imperial Legionaire hiding in Vivec Arena storage room.)
- Satyana - (Woman in Arenim Ancestral Tomb, looking for father's amulet)
- Teres Arothan - (Miner in Dispalla Mine being threatened by Nix Hounds)

I will have to add all of those to the next version. Hopefully, that should
be all of them, though I've noticed that some characters have following
script only in their dialogue, and not on an actual script. (Fjorgeir is
like that, as is Malexa, but I fixed her. It's really quite annoying.)
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 4:28:12 AM

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:36:50 -0500, Darrel Hoffman <i.dont@think.so> wrote:

>> Is there a reason why you didn't use this ability on all followers?

> and in the case of Reeh-Jah, I figured it was redundant, since he's an
> Argonian.

Argonians don't have a water breathing ability by default. They only have
a cheap water breathing spell that needs to be casted manually. There are
a few mods out there that change this, but by default, an Argonian doesn't
have gills. So it wouldn't be redundant at all to give Reeh-Jah that ability.

> Please let me know when escort missions work correctly as well.
> That way I can mark them off as tested, since I know they work.

I will, as soon as I have a character that is capable of escorting those
people. Right now I still use my old character (who has performed these
missions a long time ago) to test some mods, but as soon as I will have
started a fresh one, I'll test "Improved Followers" as well.

Björn
!