Problem installing Windows / hard drive

spondi_killer

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Intel D975XBX mobo, WD Caviar SE 160GB hd and a Windows XP upgrade cd and one that came with a laptop ( seems like the full version)

Okay, I tried installing Windows XP on my new rig and got to the partition part. I choose the big empty one (152GB) and click next. Ask what system I say NTFS and he then tries formatting it. There goes the error. Windows can't and asks to check connections and stuff like that.

I then shut down the system, check my connections, and I change the Sata connector from the Sata 0 to the Sata 1, and I switch power connectors.

I fire up the system once more and go past the bios menu and it says: " Press any key to the boot from CD-rom. Unable to load operating system. When I try pressing a key, it just beeps at me, nothing changes.

Any help?

PS:If any of you where on this forum last week you might have seen my topic about video problems, yeah I changed video card and now the display is correct. I'm really down on my luck on my first rig it seems.

PS*2= When I put my 2 sticks of ram in dual channel it reboots right before the Windows XP setup. Pulling 1 stick out and in single channel fixes the problem. Is this normal?

spondi_killer

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
No worries there, it's not a recovery CD, it's a Windows XP Home Edition CD, complete with all the fancy looking stuff they put on their CD, in fact it looks the same as my upgrade one. But it's not there that lies the problem, in fact, this CD let's me install Win.

Okay update here: I found the way to reach the formatting part without hitches. It says it can't format the disk. It may be damaged. If it is a SCSI disk, check that you have correct drivers.. how do I know if my disk is SCSI ?

No worries there, it's not a recovery CD, it's a Windows XP Home Edition CD, complete with all the fancy looking stuff they put on their CD, in fact it looks the same as my upgrade one. But it's not there that lies the problem, in fact, this CD let's me install Win.

Okay update here: I found the way to reach the formatting part without hitches. It says it can't format the disk. It may be damaged. If it is a SCSI disk, check that you have correct drivers.. how do I know if my disk is SCSI ?

If you think your hard drive is bad, try downloading Data Lifeguard tools and make a floppy bootable disc of the program. Data Lifeguard tools will also partition and format your drive as well.

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?swid=1

I am not familiar with your MB, but it may not have the SATA drivers installed that your windows CD needs to format that SATA HD. Do you have a MB floppy disc with the SATA drivers?