Authoritative answer from nslookup

How I can get authoritative answer for some domain from nslookup.
Anytime i try "nslookup domainname.suffix" program give me back
non-authoritative answer.

L.

In news:e0OSz2wcFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
tecka" <""lazna\"@volny(tecka)cz <""lazna\"@volny(tecka)cz"> posted this:
> How I can get authoritative answer for some domain from nslookup.

By querying the authoritative DNS server.

> Anytime i try "nslookup domainname.suffix" program give me back
> non-authoritative answer.

That is because the DNS server you are querying is not authoritative for the
domain and it has to get the answer from somewhere else.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

>>How I can get authoritative answer for some domain from nslookup.
>

> By querying the authoritative DNS server.

Ehm.... Aha :))))

>>Anytime i try "nslookup domainname.suffix" program give me back
>>non-authoritative answer.
>

> That is because the DNS server you are querying is not authoritative for the
> domain and it has to get the answer from somewhere else.

Of course, my stupid question. Thank...

P.L.

> --?
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

> > By querying the authoritative DNS server.
> >

> Ehm.... Aha :))))
>

> >>Anytime i try "nslookup domainname.suffix" program give me back
> >>non-authoritative answer.
> >

> > That is because the DNS server you are querying is not authoritative for
the
> > domain and it has to get the answer from somewhere else.
> >

> Of course, my stupid question. Thank...

Not a stupid question at all; most people are not smart enough
to even ask it.

[It was a 'naive question' (which is not a criticism and) which
means that it came from a lack of experience or sophistication
on the subject. Keep asking....]

Btw, do you understand that the first time you query a non-authoritative
server (e.g., your own DNS server when looking for an external
zone domain name) then it MIGHT give you an authoritative answer
if it had to go ask the authoritative server.

That is, if the name isn't already in cache on your own server.

The next time (in a short period) it will practically always give
back the cached or non-authoritative answer (unless TTL expires
or someone explicitly clears your server cache, etc.)

pasquale

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Is there a way to tell my computer (or the DNS server my computer talks to) to refresh the cached IP address associated with a certain (or all) domain name(s)? i.e. I want to speed up DNS propagation to at least my machine. For example, here are terminal results:

nslookup grubdub.com NS51.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Server: NS51.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Address: 216.69.185.26#53

Name: grubdub.com
Address: 208.109.181.105

nslookup grubdub.com
Server: 140.247.233.200
Address: 140.247.233.200#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: grubdub.com
Address: 68.178.232.100

See, the authoritative answer is different from the non-authoritative answer. How do I make them the same... without having to wait for the TTL to expire?