Authoritative answer from nslookup

How I can get authoritative answer for some domain from nslookup.
Anytime i try "nslookup domainname.suffix" program give me back
non-authoritative answer.

L.
4 answers Last reply
More about authoritative answer nslookup

    In news:e0OSz2wcFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    tecka" <""lazna\"@volny(tecka)cz <""lazna\"@volny(tecka)cz"> posted this:
    > How I can get authoritative answer for some domain from nslookup.

    By querying the authoritative DNS server.

    > Anytime i try "nslookup domainname.suffix" program give me back
    > non-authoritative answer.

    That is because the DNS server you are querying is not authoritative for the
    domain and it has to get the answer from somewhere else.

    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================

    >>How I can get authoritative answer for some domain from nslookup.
    >

    > By querying the authoritative DNS server.

    Ehm.... Aha :-))))

    >>Anytime i try "nslookup domainname.suffix" program give me back
    >>non-authoritative answer.
    >

    > That is because the DNS server you are querying is not authoritative for the
    > domain and it has to get the answer from somewhere else.

    Of course, my stupid question. Thank...

    P.L.

    > --?
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ===================================
    > ===================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > ===================================
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > ===================================
    > with OEBackup:
    > ===================================

    > > By querying the authoritative DNS server.
    > >

    > Ehm.... Aha :-))))
    >

    > >>Anytime i try "nslookup domainname.suffix" program give me back
    > >>non-authoritative answer.
    > >

    > > That is because the DNS server you are querying is not authoritative for
    the
    > > domain and it has to get the answer from somewhere else.
    > >

    > Of course, my stupid question. Thank...

    Not a stupid question at all; most people are not smart enough
    to even ask it.

    [It was a 'naive question' (which is not a criticism and) which
    means that it came from a lack of experience or sophistication
    on the subject. Keep asking....]

    Btw, do you understand that the first time you query a non-authoritative
    server (e.g., your own DNS server when looking for an external
    zone domain name) then it MIGHT give you an authoritative answer
    if it had to go ask the authoritative server.

    That is, if the name isn't already in cache on your own server.

    The next time (in a short period) it will practically always give
    back the cached or non-authoritative answer (unless TTL expires
    or someone explicitly clears your server cache, etc.)
  4. Is there a way to tell my computer (or the DNS server my computer talks to) to refresh the cached IP address associated with a certain (or all) domain name(s)? i.e. I want to speed up DNS propagation to at least my machine. For example, here are terminal results:

    nslookup grubdub.com NS51.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    Server: NS51.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    Address: 216.69.185.26#53

    Name: grubdub.com
    Address: 208.109.181.105

    nslookup grubdub.com
    Server: 140.247.233.200
    Address: 140.247.233.200#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: grubdub.com
    Address: 68.178.232.100

    See, the authoritative answer is different from the non-authoritative answer. How do I make them the same... without having to wait for the TTL to expire?

Domain Microsoft DNS Windows