What should i get? mobo/cpu, or vid card?

D4ng3r

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
hello, i have a p4 1.5ghz with 512mb, quite an old machine. i have around $150 canadian to play with, and i want to be able to get the best bang for the buck in preformance increase.
(p.s. my current system doesnt have 3d accceleration so i cant play things like halo.. would a video card fix this?)
i was wondering weather i should get a new mobo/ cpu (i was heavely leaning towards the amd athlon 3000+, i dont need bleeding edge..) and a suitable mobo with 5.1 capabilities.
or, should i direct my funds towards a $100 videocard? it would have to run on my ancient mobo.

OR... should i get an inexpensive mobo, a decent CPU, and a $50 video card so that i can run games like halo??? i am at a loss.

any and all help would be appriciated, as well as any suggestions for things to get.
i have about 150ish to play with, i could save up a little more to get something a bit above that price if it would be worth it.

thanks,
Dan

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
hello, i have a p4 1.5ghz with 512mb, quite an old machine. i have around $150 canadian to play with, and i want to be able to get the best bang for the buck in preformance increase.
(p.s. my current system doesnt have 3d accceleration so i cant play things like halo.. would a video card fix this?)
i was wondering weather i should get a new mobo/ cpu (i was heavely leaning towards the amd athlon 3000+, i dont need bleeding edge..) and a suitable mobo with 5.1 capabilities.
or, should i direct my funds towards a $100 videocard? it would have to run on my ancient mobo.

OR... should i get an inexpensive mobo, a decent CPU, and a $50 video card so that i can run games like halo??? i am at a loss.

any and all help would be appriciated, as well as any suggestions for things to get.
i have about 150ish to play with, i could save up a little more to get something a bit above that price if it would be worth it.

Your opening is cool. Mine is not a flaming reply. But you should toss your PC. It is hopeless, considering your budget. Read THIS

D4ng3r

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
hey, thanks for the reply. I guess I wasnt really clear about this, but this is an upgrade that I am going to do for now, i will be replacing MORE things in the coming months to totally upgrade the system.

also, i failed to mention that I got a new hard drive, power supply, and a dvd burner for my birthday.

i was thinking of getting a cheaper mobo, amd athlon 3000, and a >$50 graphics card. can anyone suggest another way? or should i just get the graphics card, or the mobo/cpu.

also, would the onboard video run halo at medium settings? (or could i get another 512 of ram?)

Thanks for the replies.

necroshine67

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
halo isn't that demanding.. i played halo with an old athlon t-bird 1.4 with a geforce3.
the athlon chips have went down in price by about 50%.
you would have to buy a new MB because an athlon won't work on a p4 MB.

yes halo will run on a new 3000+ but the 3700 has gotta so cheap that the 3000+ isn't worth 50 bucks.. and a motherboard with built in graphics with an athlon 64 will run halo...