Can't install Win2000 Pro

rdudek

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2001
I just upgraded to the P4 with a new mobo and CPU, I still use the same HD and now Win2000 is giving me a stop error. If I put a bootdisk in the floppy, nothing happens, win2000 is still trying to boot from the HD. Usually when you reset your computer, you get a message that to insert a proper boot disk to drive A. Now it doesnt, it just completely skips it and goes to HD.

I can't even format the drive because of it. The BIOS detects my floppy drive without a problem so I dont know what to do now. Anyone have any ideas?

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
[Posted by rdudek: “I just upgraded to the P4 with a new mobo and CPU, I still use the same HD and now Win2000 is giving me a stop error. …
I can't even format the drive because of it. The BIOS detects my floppy drive without a problem so I dont know what to do now. Anyone have any ideas?…"]

Unfortunately, not much ideas. Just some rules.
You have to backup your data. You have to clean install (from scratch) your Windows 2000 on your new hardware.
Go to BIOS Setup (usually press [Del] key during startup.)
Change Boot Sequence to Boot from CD-ROM.
Insert your Win2000 CD, save changes in the BIOS, exit.
The Windows install will give you an option to repair the Windows. – You do not do it.
Choose to delete the partition(s). Go through delete procedure.

(From here, if you want to use your Win9X/ME Startup Disk for FDISK and/or Win9x/ME installation CD, hit the Reset key/button and the computer restarts. Again go into BIOS Setup, check/change the Boot sequence, insert Win9x/ME Startup floppy or CD. After restart you are ready to do whatever you've chosen.)

But if you install only Win2000 (no dual boot), you continue and create through the menu new partition(s), then do FORMAT, and continue to install Win2000.

kevstev

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
I just dealt with this quite extensively at work when trying to deploy windows 2000 around the company.
The problem is almost definitely caused by a new hard disk controller on the pentium IV mobo. Windows 2000 is quite bitchy about them. You have two options to fix this problem... the first is to run a utility called sysprep which can be found on microsoft's site. I am fairly sure your hard disk controller is included on the windows 2000 disk. You may want to check the hcl to be certain. Oh and of course this will require you to hook your old mobo up to the disk to get it to boot. Your second option is the more obvious reinstallation of windows 2000. This could be a problem if you have files on an ntfs partition, or only have one partition... hopefully you have two partitions, and one of them is a fat32 partition w/ your data on it. Sysprep is fairly picky. So pick your poison.
-k

I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the Corporate Republic of America...

TRENDING THREADS