JetDirect Server not found

I bought an HP JetDirect 200M print server on eBay recently, but the Network
Printer Install Wizard can't find it on the network. I'm running XP Pro SP2
with Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier. Window Firewall is disabled. NAV
Internet worm protection and auto-protect are both disabled (temporarily).
I have three computers on a wired hub, and the JetDirect on a LaserJet 1300.
The green light is on at the JetDirect and also at the hub. Pressing the
button on the back of the server causes a test page to print, with all the
config details. I've tried specifying the hardware address, and the TCP/IP
address, to no avail.
The message I get is "Setup has determined that the Internet Connection
Firewall on this computer is enabled." and more about making a port through
the firewall etc. It then does a scan and finds no printer.
What "firewall" is it talking about, and how do I disable it?

ME

In message <l%EBe.421866$cg1.232651@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
David de Jongh <numfric_nospam@hotmail.com> writes
>I bought an HP JetDirect 200M print server on eBay recently, but the Network
>Printer Install Wizard can't find it on the network. I'm running XP Pro SP2
>with Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier. Window Firewall is disabled. NAV
>Internet worm protection and auto-protect are both disabled (temporarily).
>I have three computers on a wired hub, and the JetDirect on a LaserJet 1300.
>The green light is on at the JetDirect and also at the hub. Pressing the
>button on the back of the server causes a test page to print, with all the
>config details. I've tried specifying the hardware address, and the TCP/IP
>address, to no avail.
>The message I get is "Setup has determined that the Internet Connection
>Firewall on this computer is enabled." and more about making a port through
>the firewall etc. It then does a scan and finds no printer.
>What "firewall" is it talking about, and how do I disable it?

Is it just a hub or a proper router? If it is a proper router you should
be able to log into it and see what it knows about attached devices.

As the other reply says you need to get the printer and the computer
into the same ethernet address range.

When I got my printer it was set at 10.100.100.10 or something like
that, to get it to work I had to change it address to a 192.168.0.x with
the computer as 192.168.0.y Are there buttons on the JetDirect server
so you can change its address? Having got them both into the same range
as each other (or subnet or whatever its called, so only the last digit
is different) in the XP network setup things there is an option to
specify what range it is going to search through, make sure that covers
the range that you want.

--
Timothy

Baz

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

"David de Jongh" <numfric_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I bought an HP JetDirect 200M print server on eBay recently, but the
Network
> Printer Install Wizard can't find it on the network. I'm running XP Pro
SP2
> with Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier. Window Firewall is disabled. NAV
> Internet worm protection and auto-protect are both disabled (temporarily).
> I have three computers on a wired hub, and the JetDirect on a LaserJet
1300.
> The green light is on at the JetDirect and also at the hub. Pressing the
> button on the back of the server causes a test page to print, with all the
> config details. I've tried specifying the hardware address, and the
TCP/IP
> address, to no avail.
> The message I get is "Setup has determined that the Internet Connection
> Firewall on this computer is enabled." and more about making a port
through
> the firewall etc. It then does a scan and finds no printer.
> What "firewall" is it talking about, and how do I disable it?

Hi,

You might get a better reply, but you may wish to try this anyway. I've
just set up an HP Laserjet 5M printer with an internal Jetdirect card in
similar circumstances to you.

Change the TCP/IP address on your XP machine to be in the same range as that
from your Jetdirect printout. Then from a "command prompt" window, telnet
to the the Jetdirect address and follow the help instructions available to
change the IP to suit your normal network IP range.

Then after setting your XP machine's IP back to normal, and rebooting and
checking that your Jetdirect is also now on the same IP range (try pinging
it), on your XP machine go to Printers, Add printer and select a local
printer, then click on "Create a new port:", and select TCP/IP Port, and
from there you should be able to follow the directions.

Best of luck

Regards
Barry

Thank you both. I'm going to be busy most of today, but I'll give it a try
this evening and let you know.
"me@privacy.net" <me@Privacy.Net> wrote in message
> In message <l%EBe.421866$cg1.232651@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> David de Jongh <numfric_nospam@hotmail.com> writes
>>I bought an HP JetDirect 200M print server on eBay recently, but the
>>Network
>>Printer Install Wizard can't find it on the network. I'm running XP Pro
>>SP2
>>with Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier. Window Firewall is disabled. NAV
>>Internet worm protection and auto-protect are both disabled (temporarily).
>>I have three computers on a wired hub, and the JetDirect on a LaserJet
>>1300.
>>The green light is on at the JetDirect and also at the hub. Pressing the
>>button on the back of the server causes a test page to print, with all the
>>config details. I've tried specifying the hardware address, and the
>>TCP/IP
>>address, to no avail.
>>The message I get is "Setup has determined that the Internet Connection
>>Firewall on this computer is enabled." and more about making a port
>>through
>>the firewall etc. It then does a scan and finds no printer.
>>What "firewall" is it talking about, and how do I disable it?
>>
> Is it just a hub or a proper router? If it is a proper router you should
> be able to log into it and see what it knows about attached devices.
>
> As the other reply says you need to get the printer and the computer into
> the same ethernet address range.
>
> When I got my printer it was set at 10.100.100.10 or something like that,
> to get it to work I had to change it address to a 192.168.0.x with the
> computer as 192.168.0.y Are there buttons on the JetDirect server so you
> can change its address? Having got them both into the same range as each
> other (or subnet or whatever its called, so only the last digit is
> different) in the XP network setup things there is an option to specify
> what range it is going to search through, make sure that covers the range
> that you want.
>
> --
> Timothy

Eureka! The problem was the previous user (not the guy I bought it from,
who knows nothing) had set the IP address to 10.0.0.240, which was out of
the range of my network. I had tried resetting to factory defaults by
following the instructions on the HP website, i.e. press the reset/test
button while inserting in the printer, then holding it for 5 seconds, but
that didn't change it.
After reading your messages, and thinking about it, and re-reading the HP
instructions, I came to realize that the supposed "default" settings were
not the true defaults. This time, I held the button in for about 20
seconds, while the green light went through several cycles of flashing. I
then printed a test page and bingo! the IP address went to 192.xx.xx.xxx. I
reran the install wizard and there was the printer on the list.
Thank you both, Timothy and Barry, for your advice.
D de J