Dell axim X30 cradle advice

January 4, 2005 1:58:44 PM

Hi all,
I'm going to buy a Dell Axim X30 but can't decide on the 312 or 614
processor model. The 614 comes with a docking cradle too.
I'm at the top of my budget with the 312/mid, but am considering if
the 614 & cradle is worth an extra £35.

My question is concerning the cradle, on the face of it it seems
better than a cable, but what about portability?

The cable would surely be handy to throw into my briefcase & recharge
the PDA whilst I'm at work?

Is the cable better for long sessions where the battery is likely to
run down?

Seems it would be impossible to use tha PDA when it's plugged into the
cradle.

blackbat /\x/\
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:58:45 PM

Think about getting both. I started with a cradle at home. The
cradle is very convenient for quickly inserting the Axim for syncing
and recharging. There is also a space for recharging an extra
battery. I did, however, need a more portable solution for travel.
The cradle is bulky. Thus, I ordered a travel cable that both
recharges and synchronizes. I leave this cable at work for syncing
there when I am not traveling.

Seb
blackbat wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm going to buy a Dell Axim X30 but can't decide on the 312 or 614
> processor model. The 614 comes with a docking cradle too.
> I'm at the top of my budget with the 312/mid, but am considering if
> the 614 & cradle is worth an extra £35.
>
> My question is concerning the cradle, on the face of it it seems
> better than a cable, but what about portability?
>
> The cable would surely be handy to throw into my briefcase & recharge
> the PDA whilst I'm at work?
>
> Is the cable better for long sessions where the battery is likely to
> run down?
>
> Seems it would be impossible to use tha PDA when it's plugged into
the
> cradle.
>

> blackbat /\x/\
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 3:02:46 PM

forget the cradle, just a hassle, but deffinitely go with the 624 mhz model,
the speed is awesome

"blackbat" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'm going to buy a Dell Axim X30 but can't decide on the 312 or 614
> processor model. The 614 comes with a docking cradle too.
> I'm at the top of my budget with the 312/mid, but am considering if
> the 614 & cradle is worth an extra £35.
>
> My question is concerning the cradle, on the face of it it seems
> better than a cable, but what about portability?
>
> The cable would surely be handy to throw into my briefcase & recharge
> the PDA whilst I'm at work?
>
> Is the cable better for long sessions where the battery is likely to
> run down?
>
> Seems it would be impossible to use tha PDA when it's plugged into the
> cradle.
>

> blackbat /\x/\
January 4, 2005 10:30:36 PM

I'd have to agree with getting the 624Mhz model if you want to really put it
to use, though I have the 312. It is not my only or primary PPC though. The
convenience of the cradle will grow on you. For travel, take a look at this
http://www.pocketpctechs.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=DX3-... It is not
the only one like this, but PPCTechs is one of the better ones.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"blackbat" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'm going to buy a Dell Axim X30 but can't decide on the 312 or 614
> processor model. The 614 comes with a docking cradle too.
> I'm at the top of my budget with the 312/mid, but am considering if
> the 614 & cradle is worth an extra £35.
>
> My question is concerning the cradle, on the face of it it seems
> better than a cable, but what about portability?
>
> The cable would surely be handy to throw into my briefcase & recharge
> the PDA whilst I'm at work?
>
> Is the cable better for long sessions where the battery is likely to
> run down?
>
> Seems it would be impossible to use tha PDA when it's plugged into the
> cradle.
>

> blackbat /\x/\
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 1:16:58 AM

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:58:44 +0000, blackbat <invalid@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>snip

Thanks both,
Shame I can't buy the 614 processor without cradle

blackbat /\x/\
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 7:55:41 PM

If you don't mind shopping on EBay, you can get some awesome deals on dell
Axims there, and might be able to afford the 624 and get it with or without
a cradle....

"blackbat" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'm going to buy a Dell Axim X30 but can't decide on the 312 or 614
> processor model. The 614 comes with a docking cradle too.
> I'm at the top of my budget with the 312/mid, but am considering if
> the 614 & cradle is worth an extra £35.
>
> My question is concerning the cradle, on the face of it it seems
> better than a cable, but what about portability?
>
> The cable would surely be handy to throw into my briefcase & recharge
> the PDA whilst I'm at work?
>
> Is the cable better for long sessions where the battery is likely to
> run down?
>
> Seems it would be impossible to use tha PDA when it's plugged into the
> cradle.
>

> blackbat /\x/\
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 7:36:14 PM

wrote:

>Hi all,
>I'm going to buy a Dell Axim X30 but can't decide on the 312 or 614
>processor model. The 614 comes with a docking cradle too.
>I'm at the top of my budget with the 312/mid, but am considering if
>the 614 & cradle is worth an extra £35.

I got the 624 (high), the price difference here in Canada was
negligible at the time. Crazy not to.

>My question is concerning the cradle, on the face of it it seems
>better than a cable, but what about portability?

Well, it is kind of bulky, and I have not used it "on the road". I had
decided that if I needed portability I would just order a separate
cable later.

>The cable would surely be handy to throw into my briefcase & recharge
>the PDA whilst I'm at work?
>
>Is the cable better for long sessions where the battery is likely to
>run down?

It is supposed to be a Portable device, remember.

>Seems it would be impossible to use tha PDA when it's plugged into the
>cradle.

Nope! But I wouldn't want to write a book with it in the cradle, but
for Sync-ing and installing you need to hit responses. I just use the
stylus like I normally would, even using the soft keyboard.

>blackbat /\x/\

-
Glen

Ottawa

(Remove the ".NIT.invalid" from the end of my address)
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 3:45:17 AM

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:58:44 +0000, blackbat wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm going to buy a Dell Axim X30 but can't decide on the 312 or 614
> processor model. The 614 comes with a docking cradle too.
> I'm at the top of my budget with the 312/mid, but am considering if
> the 614 & cradle is worth an extra £35.
>
> My question is concerning the cradle, on the face of it it seems
> better than a cable, but what about portability?
>
> The cable would surely be handy to throw into my briefcase & recharge
> the PDA whilst I'm at work?
>
> Is the cable better for long sessions where the battery is likely to
> run down?
>
> Seems it would be impossible to use tha PDA when it's plugged into the
> cradle.
>

> blackbat /\x/\

The power supply can be unplugged from the cradle and used on the road. It
is a seperate device from the cradle.

The cradle is great for office use since it charges the battery(s) and
allows Activesyncing.

In any event, the 614 MHz cpu is worth the extra cost.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 1:38:32 AM

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 00:45:17 GMT, AximGuy <aximguy@no.ipaqs> wrote:

>The power supply can be unplugged from the cradle and used on the road. It
>is a seperate device from the cradle.

Ah! good to know.

blackbat /\x/\
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 1:40:19 AM

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:36:14 -0500, Glen McLean
<gkmclean@cyberus.caNIT.invalid> wrote:

>It is supposed to be a Portable device, remember.

Spose so, but 3 hours battery life doesn't help portability when
you're using wifi.

blackbat /\x/\
!