Disabling the mouse in WinXP Professional?

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows.xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I need to upgrade several industrial PCs from WinNT to Window XP. They do
not have mice on installed them and in NT, the mouse was disabled. When I
try to disable the mouse on the XP version, either from BIOS or from with
the OS, the mouse disables just fine however I am left with the cursor
sitting in the center of the screen.

Is there a way to both disable the mouse and get rid of the cursor in
Windows XP professional?

Thanks

Rick

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows.xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I'm guessing a bit here but look in the Startup folder for point32.exe - I
think that is what is creating the mouse pointer.

"Rick" <someone@aol.com> wrote in message
>I need to upgrade several industrial PCs from WinNT to Window XP. They do
> not have mice on installed them and in NT, the mouse was disabled. When I
> try to disable the mouse on the XP version, either from BIOS or from with
> the OS, the mouse disables just fine however I am left with the cursor
> sitting in the center of the screen.
>
> Is there a way to both disable the mouse and get rid of the cursor in
> Windows XP professional?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rick

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows.xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Point32.exe is simply part of the IntelliPoint software and would not
do anything by deleting (except take away the added functionality of the
mouse). I am not sure of a way to completely disable the cursor, but
you may be able to find software that will do this on a Google search.
I did a quick look, but didn't find anything that worked quite like this.

One last idea would be to use a cursor set that you created and just
make the cursor a one pixel image set to the same color as the
background. It will just appear like one pixel is dead or something in
all applications where the color of the cursor does not match the color
that should be displayed.

-----
Nathan McNulty

Jerry wrote:
> I'm guessing a bit here but look in the Startup folder for point32.exe - I
> think that is what is creating the mouse pointer.
>
> "Rick" <someone@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>>I need to upgrade several industrial PCs from WinNT to Window XP. They do
>>not have mice on installed them and in NT, the mouse was disabled. When I
>>try to disable the mouse on the XP version, either from BIOS or from with
>>the OS, the mouse disables just fine however I am left with the cursor
>>sitting in the center of the screen.
>>
>>Is there a way to both disable the mouse and get rid of the cursor in
>>Windows XP professional?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Rick

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows.xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Try Googling for "Hide Mouse" freeware/shareware.

Regards,
Joe Steele

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows.xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Should you not be looking at Imbedded Windows XP instead of the regular
versions of XP??

Imbedded Windows XP allows to customize the modules that load and I believe
you can control the mouse.