Asus Pw5 dh deluxe + geforce 7900gtx problem help!

ffxionline

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I recently put together a new core 2 duo system. Here are the specs

e6600 processor.
2 gig corsair ddr2 800 xms ram.
asus p5w dh deluxe motherboard.
forsa 7900gtx video card.
antec true power II 550watt psu.

When I install the video card drivers my moniter goes into standby/power save mode as if it is not getting enough power but my psu is more than enough for my system. I also flashed the latest bios but the problem still persists. Any suggestions as to why this might be happening or how I can fix it. Thanks.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004

e6600 processor.

When I install the video card drivers my moniter goes into standby/power save mode as if it is not getting enough power but my psu is more than enough for my system. I also flashed the latest bios but the problem still persists. Any suggestions as to why this might be happening or how I can fix it. Thanks.

What brand/make of monitor?
Are u using the drivers on the nVidia website, or third party drivers? Have you installed the drivers for your monitor?
did you make sure to attach the 6-pin PCIe power connector to the 7900gtx?
What operating system are you running?
if you are only using one monitor, are u sure it's plugged into the monitor 1 jack on the card?
have you tried disabling your antivirus and or firewall be4 installing the drivers?
have you tried re-formatting and reinstalling windows, and Then installing the video drivers BEFORE anything else?

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006

e6600 processor.

Could be a dead VGA port, seems unlikely. Either that, or its your monitor not picking it up. Worse comes to worse, the card is DOA. Try a different VGA port on the video card. If it still persists, run your VGA cable to your integrated graphics on the motherboard. If that doesnt work, well you got a dead monitor right there unfortuantely. Do the fans spin on the card? Does the rest of the system post? Need some more background info.

ffxionline

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
The system loads into windows but after I install the drivers the moniter shuts off. I tried a geforce 7300 card, installed the drivers and it worked fine. After I install the drivers for the 7900gtx the fan on the card still spins but the moniter shuts off. I have tried to reboot into safe mode after installing the drivers because it seems like a refresh rate issue to try and change it but it doesnt detect the card is installed and only allows the default hardware refresh rate. I have uninstalled the drivers serveral times with add/remove programs and driver cleaner pro, reset cmos setting, loaded default bios settings, and then reinstalled the card and the same thing happens. Ive tried different pcie power plugs from the power supply into the card and connecting it to different ports on the card. My moniter doesnt have the dvi plug to plug it in so I have to use the adaptor that came with the card. I am thinking of re installing another version of windows and trying again.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
The system loads into windows but after I install the drivers the moniter shuts off. I tried a geforce 7300 card, installed the drivers and it worked fine. After I install the drivers for the 7900gtx the fan on the card still spins but the moniter shuts off. I have tried to reboot into safe mode after installing the drivers because it seems like a refresh rate issue to try and change it but it doesnt detect the card is installed and only allows the default hardware refresh rate. I have uninstalled the drivers serveral times with add/remove programs and driver cleaner pro, reset cmos setting, loaded default bios settings, and then reinstalled the card and the same thing happens. Ive tried different pcie power plugs from the power supply into the card and connecting it to different ports on the card. My moniter doesnt have the dvi plug to plug it in so I have to use the adaptor that came with the card. I am thinking of re installing another version of windows and trying again.

Hmmm, this is interesting. Another card will boot on the monitor you say? Could be the 7900GTX unfortunately. You have the 6 pin molex connector plugged into the card correct? It shouldnt be underpowered, good PSU, more than enough Amps on both of the rails, and enough watts as well. This is odd. Im gonna go with the faulty card. Return the card now, when a new one comes back, let us know how you did with it, or PM me for that fact.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Hmmm, this is interesting. Another card will boot on the monitor you say? Could be the 7900GTX unfortunately. You have the 6 pin molex connector plugged into the card correct? It shouldnt be underpowered, good PSU, more than enough Amps on both of the rails, and enough watts as well. This is odd. Im gonna go with the faulty card. Return the card now, when a new one comes back, let us know how you did with it, or PM me for that fact.

I would not reinstall the OS or return the card just yet. If I understand the OP correctly the problem occurs ONLY after he installs drivers. If the card works fine with default Windows drivers then the problem is not necessarily hardware related.

1. I would suggest that the OP try to install a different release of drivers which support his video card.

2. Personally, whenever I install a new video card I usually ignore the driver CD that was boxed with it and go to nVIDIA site and get the latest available drivers, but in some cases it proved to be a bad idea. With one of my older cards new drivers did not work right and I had all kinds of problems (not to mention that I lost the Stereo shutter glasses support altogether). Installing the drivers from the original manufacturer's CD fixed all problems.

Lastly, try everything else first before you RMA your card.