please give me your advice on this rig-trade

heyday

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
i need you guys opinion on this trade and if im getting a good deal or not.

this is what i have now:
ASUS PEP4 - X AGP motherboard
intel pentium 4 w/ HT 2.60 ghz
ATI x1300 512 mb graphics card
1.5 gig RAM

and this is what i would be trading for PLUS $700:
ECS C19-A SLI PCI motherboard
Intel pentium D 2.80 ghz dual processor
dual DDR2 667
GEFORCE 7900GTX graphics card
2 gigs RAM

this rig was built 2 months ago (if that) and all the boxes and warranties will be mine.

i am basically taking my 320 mb hard drive, cd/dvd, floppy - and moving it into a new tower with the above listed goods.

now youll have to forgive me cause i never had a dual processor before so i dont know what all that means. i am an EXTREME gamer and i need to move up to a more recent century with my pc so i can keep up and play CRYSIS and the such in the future. please post your opinions.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
i need you guys opinion on this trade and if im getting a good deal or not.

this is what i have now:
ASUS PEP4 - X AGP motherboard
intel pentium 4 w/ HT 2.60 ghz
ATI x1300 512 mb graphics card
1.5 gig RAM

and this is what i would be trading for PLUS $700:
ECS C19-A SLI PCI motherboard
Intel pentium D 2.80 ghz dual processor
dual DDR2 667
GEFORCE 7900GTX graphics card
2 gigs RAM

this rig was built 2 months ago (if that) and all the boxes and warranties will be mine.

i am basically taking my 320 mb hard drive, cd/dvd, floppy - and moving it into a new tower with the above listed goods.

now youll have to forgive me cause i never had a dual processor before so i dont know what all that means. i am an EXTREME gamer and i need to move up to a more recent century with my pc so i can keep up and play CRYSIS and the such in the future. please post your opinions.

Defintely a bargain right there. Why does this guy want to sell? Lol. Crazy person right there.

heyday

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
im sorry i didnt say before but my bud owns a computer repair shop and his independantly wealth brother had them build it together. the brother then told my bud to keep it as a gift BUT my friend wants to take his 3 kids and wife on a cruise - he doesnt game anymore. so hell trade them out so i can have a decent rig and he can use my old one for little shit....whew. enough said there!! so thats the situation basically right there - give or take a few things. thanks for the quick replys so far!! keep em comin!!

uwisuwerme7

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
At my old job the owner was a completly cheap guy and always used those ECS boards.
We always replaced ECS boards.
I understand we sold a lot,
But you dont understand how many we always had comming in to be fixed.
And the 2.8 pentium D wasnt that great.
Not much improvment over your 2.6HT
Besides the GPU upgrade I dont see much advantage.

heyday

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
i did some review searches on the ECS C19-A and all the reviews said it was an excellent motherboard for the money. alot to offer for people on a budget. were these repairs recent or perhaps a while back? and do you think with this rig (despite the mobo) that id be better off anyways if anything happend than with my rig? meaning replacing the mobo later rather than replacing the mobo, card, ram, etc later on if i kept my machine? am i making sense? i guess i mean that with what i have now - im ALOT farther away from newer tech then i would be if i made the trade/sale. so would it give me a considerable performance increase in gaming (framerate and cranking up the in game options) to get this machine and would i be getting screwed or deffinitely coming out ahead of where my gaming rig is now?

sorry about the confusing sentences. thanks again all. keep em rollin in!

uwisuwerme7

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I just think the ECS boards are low quality and we had them just go bad a lot. Not all on the same series.. ie. we had them come in for socket a, 775, 478, 423, 754, 939....... so it wasnt just a bad roll out from factory. I think your proformance will go up, but not as much as you think. If you got a compariable gfx card on your current pc you would see within 10 frame rates I would think.

heyday

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
thanks for the heads up. i guess if i did go through with this, i could invest in a good motherboard in a few months. id have to buy a whole new rig if i upgraded my pc. if i get this one - ill only have to upgrade to a new motherboard. im still debating this but im pulling towards "yes". im VERY attached to my current pc. ill miss it. how pathetic am i?

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
thanks for the heads up. i guess if i did go through with this, i could invest in a good motherboard in a few months. id have to buy a whole new rig if i upgraded my pc. if i get this one - ill only have to upgrade to a new motherboard. im still debating this but im pulling towards "yes". im VERY attached to my current pc. ill miss it. how pathetic am i?

If you feel uncomfortable with the motherboard, like you said. Simply replace within a few months. Has this computer been broken in well? Anything faulty since the guy built it? It seems like a nice system for the bargain your getting.
But if you feel something needs to be changed, do so now, or soon.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
For $700, that's a great deal. That 7900GTX alone costs $450-500, and the 2GB RAM will run you another $150-200. The only thing that stands out to me is the Pentium D CPU; Athlon 64 X2s are better for gaming. Is it the 820 or the 920?

heyday

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
yes. hes run stress tests and used it for the last month and a half. he also will give me (in writing) the oppertunity to get my money and old rig back if i dont notice a good improvement in FPS and other such things. thanks for imput!!

heyday

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
honestly, i dont know if its 820 or 920. ill try to find out and let you know. thanks for your opinion!! these post from all of you are really helping alot! its making me feel more comfortable with this deal. later guys! and feel free to offer more imput!

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
honestly, i dont know if its 820 or 920. ill try to find out and let you know. thanks for your opinion!! these post from all of you are really helping alot! its making me feel more comfortable with this deal. later guys! and feel free to offer more imput!

You'll definately want the 920, as it performs better, runs cooler, and uses less power. Not to mention that it overclocks better.