first time building computer.

Hi All,

I am building a computer for video editing, effects, and 3D modeling and animation. I will be spending the main part of my time on this computer editing and doing effects using Premier Pro and After Effects.

I have done quite a bit of reading and decided to build my system around the Opteron 200 series chips. I am posting the parts that I am thinking about getting below to see what you all think, and hoping that if there are any hardware incompatibilities you can point them out. I have done a lot of adding in new parts to computers and replacing dead parts. but as this is the first time that I will be building a computer completely from the ground up I would ask for some advice.

SUPERMICRO H8DCE-O Dual Socket 940 NVIDIA nForce4 Professional 2200 Extended ATX Server Motherboard

2x AMD Dual-Core Opteron 265 Italy 1000MHz HT 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 940 Processor

XFX PV-T71G-UDF7 GeForce 7900 GT (470MHz) 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

2x Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Server System Memory

SeaSonic S12-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply 100 - 240V UL, CE, CB, FCC

ASYS CK-1022-5 Black/Silver 1.0 mm SECC Chassis, Plastic Front Panel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I am still looking at hard drives and trying to figure out how I would like set them up. I will probably do some kind of RAID.

I will also get a few more fans for in side the case.

I am open to suggestions. None of this is carved in stone yet.

Thanks in advance.
Nateo
7 answers Last reply
More about first time building computer
  1. Wait for Socket F which should be out in the next 30 days, it will be considerably better than the current Opteron lineup. This adds DDR2 support for memory and the ability to popin a quad core CPU next year without a motherboard change.
  2. The same thing I was going to say.
    Wait for Socket F (LGA design...) and nForce Professional 3000 series.
    Tyan already has some mobos.
  3. Quote:
    Wait for Socket F which should be out in the next 30 days, it will be considerably better than the current Opteron lineup. This adds DDR2 support for memory and the ability to popin a quad core CPU next year without a motherboard change.

Sweet. :D Thanks.
  4. Ok. Now that socket F or 1207 is out, here is the new build that I am thinking about.

ASUS KFN5-D SLI Dual Socket 1207 NVIDIA nForce Professional 3600 Extended ATX Server Motherboard

2X - AMD Opteron 2210(WOF) Santa Rosa 1.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket F Dual Core Processor

2X - CORSAIR 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR2 667

XFX PV-T71G-UDE7 Geforce 7900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

I will be putting in five hard drives. Four 250 drives in a RAID 5 and one 120 as a system drive.

I will be putting in two DVD burners.

I would like some advice on what case and power supply to get. And to find out if these parts will even work together.

I don't care if the case has fancy light or not. It just needs to hold lots of hard drives and fit with Extended ATX mother boards.

Oh, I also do a fair amount of audio mastering and am wondering about sound cards. I was thinking about something like.

AuzenTech XPlosion 7.1 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

Thanks,
    Nateo
  5. ATI cards are better choice if you doing video editing, effects, and 3D modeling and animation.ATIs pic quality is impressive...
    Try X1900XT or GT
  6. Really? I was under the impression that Ati's cards are slightly inferior for OpenGL. Also some of the 3D work that I do is in Blender which has problems with Ati cards.
  7. Brother Driver 6.8 fix open GL probs. Try ATi X1900Xt 512 MB

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33815
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Systems