can new domain use same dns as old domain, but have a sepe..

Hi

I am setting up a new Win2000 domain alongside an existing NT4 domain. I
intend to remove the old domain once everything is up and working on the new
domain.

I want to use the same seperate DNS server for both domains for the time
being. DHCP is currently running on the NT4 domain. Can I start a DHCP
service on the Win2000 domain and will this mean that any machine that joins
the win2000 domain will start using this new DHCP service? Or is it not
that simple. I cant switch the DHCP off on the NT4 domain as it is
allocating static IP addresses to servers I dont yet have control over.

If it is not possible to run two DHCP services at once I will just have to
use static ips on computers connected to the new domain for the time being.

Thanks for any help

T.

In news:1119438184.27992.0@doris.uk.clara.net,
Richard Moorhouse <tbone@tbs.com> posted this:
> Hi
>
> I am setting up a new Win2000 domain alongside an existing NT4
> domain. I intend to remove the old domain once everything is up and
> working on the new domain.
>
> I want to use the same seperate DNS server for both domains for the
> time being. DHCP is currently running on the NT4 domain. Can I
> start a DHCP service on the Win2000 domain and will this mean that
> any machine that joins the win2000 domain will start using this new
> DHCP service? Or is it not that simple. I cant switch the DHCP off
> on the NT4 domain as it is allocating static IP addresses to servers
> I dont yet have control over.
>
> If it is not possible to run two DHCP services at once I will just
> have to use static ips on computers connected to the new domain for
> the time being.

You can use the Win2k DNS on the NT4 domain machines, but for the machines
that are members of the Win2k domain you MUST use the DNS server that hold
the AD domain's records where they can find the Domain Controller's Service
Location (SRV) records.

In other words, if the DNS server you are using don't have the DC's records
in it, you cannot use it for the AD Domain members, period.
As for the DHCP server, you can move the NT4 DHCP configuration to the Win2k
DHCP, but it must assign the Win2k AD domain's DNS servers.
How to move a DHCP database from one server to another in Windows NT 4.0 and
in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;130642

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

"Richard Moorhouse" wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am setting up a new Win2000 domain alongside an existing NT4
> domain. I
> intend to remove the old domain once everything is up and
> working on the new
> domain.
>
> I want to use the same seperate DNS server for both domains
> for the time
> being. DHCP is currently running on the NT4 domain. Can I
> start a DHCP
> service on the Win2000 domain and will this mean that any
> machine that joins
> the win2000 domain will start using this new DHCP service? Or
> is it not
> that simple. I cant switch the DHCP off on the NT4 domain as
> it is
> allocating static IP addresses to servers I dont yet have
> control over.
>
> If it is not possible to run two DHCP services at once I will
> just have to
> use static ips on computers connected to the new domain for
> the time being.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> T.

Hi,

The distribution of IP addresses by DHCP is not domain specific. A
client that’s configured as a DHCP client will request an IP address.
The first DHCP server that responds AND that has an address for the IP
subnet the client resides in wins "the battle".
So if the NT4 DHCP server is ONLY providing DHCP reservered IP
addresses (IP address is matched to MAC address) to servers and no
dynamic IP addresses to clients in the same subnet as your clients,
you’re OK to create your own DHCP server for the clients in the AD
domain.
You could also suggest to setup a DHCP server in the AD domain that
provides dynamic IP addresses for the clients AND the DHCP reserved IP
addresses for the servers.

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/DNS-domain-domain-seperate-DHCP-server-ftopict548888.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1736662