Sound cable no longer needed for CD/DVD ?

DSebring

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2005
Is it true that newer MB and CD/DVD's no longer need the sound cable that used to run from the CD to the Soundcard?

I have read that all you need these days is to enable "Use digiatal sound" on the properties page in Device Manager and all sound will goe through the Ribbon Cable? Is this true?

I bought an OEM CD/DVD and want to know before I build if I should run out and get a sound cable for it.

Thanks !

modmandan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
Actually....it's not the mainboard that does away with that cable, it's the OS.

Since Win2K, they (OS's) have been extracting the audio data through your IDE cable digitally. If you use new hardware and use WinME or older, you will still need the analog cable.

DSebring

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2005
Actually....it's not the mainboard that does away with that cable, it's the OS.

Since Win2K, they (OS's) have been extracting the audio data through your IDE cable digitally. If you use new hardware and use WinME or older, you will still need the analog cable.

Ahhh that explains it, it been about 5 years so I was most likely still running Windows 98 SE last time, so I still needed the cable.

I think I simply left it in when upgrading to WinXP not realizing it was no longer needed.

Thanks.

lowlifecat

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Good morning sunshine!

the opticaldrive audio cable became redundant with winXP. i believe you still needed it with win2k but i could be wrong.