zone transfer

Hi! We have a win2k that is running our primary DNS. Our secondary DNS is a
Win2003 machine. When creating a new zone at the primary DNS I expekted zone
transfer would transfer the new zone to secondary. It does not!

Changes in already existing zones get transferred.

Could anyone give me a hint where to look.
--
spitzer

"spitzer" wrote:
> Hi! We have a win2k that is running our primary DNS. Our
> secondary DNS is a
> Win2003 machine. When creating a new zone at the primary DNS I
> expekted zone
> transfer would transfer the new zone to secondary. It does
> not!
>
> Changes in already existing zones get transferred.
>
> Could anyone give me a hint where to look.
> --
> spitzer

what is the zone configuration (on the "Zone Transfer" tab) of the
primary zone on the primary DNS server?

For zone transfer to occur you must configure the source zone with
"Allow zone transfers" and then select
(a) To any server (not recommended!)
(b) To any server in the name servers tab (recommended)
(c) To the following servers: IP addresses

With (a) it will accept any recipient DNS server
With (b) it only accepts recipient DNS servers that are also mentioned
in the name servers tab
With (c) it only accepts recipient DNS servers that are mentioned by
IP address

If needed you could configure the source DNS server to notify any
secondary DNS servers to perform zone transfers

On the recipient server create a secondary zone that points to the
source DNS servers (master DNS servers)

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/DNS-zone-transfer-ftopict549332.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1738526

In news:834A497A-49E7-43B6-81DE-AFDE83026EA4@microsoft.com,
spitzer <spitzer@discussions.microsoft.com> posted this:
> Hi! We have a win2k that is running our primary DNS. Our secondary
> DNS is a Win2003 machine. When creating a new zone at the primary DNS
> I expekted zone transfer would transfer the new zone to secondary. It
> does not!
>
> Changes in already existing zones get transferred.
>
> Could anyone give me a hint where to look.

Did you create the secondary zone?
Only Active Dorectory integrated zones get replicated, if you use standard
Primary/Secondary zones, you must create these zones.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

OK! I thought that if I created a zone on primary that it would be replicated
to secondary. Regardless of if it is Active Directory integrated or not. So
if I create zone dummy.com on primary I am forced to create it on secondary
too?

Thanks in advance!
--
spitzer

"spitzer" wrote:
> OK! I thought that if I created a zone on primary that it
> would be replicated
> to secondary. Regardless of if it is Active Directory
> integrated or not. So
> if I create zone dummy.com on primary I am forced to create it
> on secondary
> too?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> --
> spitzer
>

> "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > In news:834A497A-49E7-43B6-81DE-AFDE83026EA4@microsoft.com,
> > spitzer <spitzer@discussions.microsoft.com> posted this:
>  > > Hi! We have a win2k that is running our primary DNS.
> Our secondary
>  > > DNS is a Win2003 machine. When creating a new zone
> at the primary DNS
>  > > I expekted zone transfer would transfer the new zone
> to secondary. It
>  > > does not!
>  > >
>  > > Changes in already existing zones get transferred.
>  > >
>  > > Could anyone give me a hint where to look.
> >
> > Did you create the secondary zone?
> > Only Active Dorectory integrated zones get replicated, if
> you use standard
> > Primary/Secondary zones, you must create these zones.
> >
> > --Â?
> > Best regards,
> > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> > Hope This Helps
> > ===================================
> > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
> > via your newsreader so that others may learn and
> > benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
> > me remove the nospam. from my email address.
> > ===================================
> > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> > ===================================
> > Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
> > It will strip signature out and more
> > http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
> > with OEBackup:
> > http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx

yep! that’s the way to do it. See what I wrote earlier above

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1743080