General advice on configuration of DNS servers

Hi,

I have two DNS servers (DNS1 and DNS2) in AD-Integrated mode set up in a
Windows 2003 domain.

On DNS1 I also have three secondary DNS zones configured which each
synchronise with other DNS servers in other domains. What's the best way to
get these to appear on the DNS2 server? Is it to set them up seperately as
new secondary zones on DNS2, or is there a way so anything on DNS1 will
automatically replicate to DNS2?

I should just stress that the AD-Integrated zone of the domain DNS1 and DNS2
are part of synchronises perfectly well, as it should do. It's just the
secondary zones on DNS1 that aren't.

Thanks,

Curtis.

--
Please reply to news group only. Thank you.

In news:O8x8W7KeFHA.3880@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Curtis Fray <xxx@xxx.com> posted this:
> Hi,
>
> I have two DNS servers (DNS1 and DNS2) in AD-Integrated mode set up
> in a Windows 2003 domain.
>
> On DNS1 I also have three secondary DNS zones configured which each
> synchronise with other DNS servers in other domains. What's the best
> way to get these to appear on the DNS2 server?

On the zone properties (Zone transfers tab) for the zone on DNS1 allow zone
transfers to the IP address of DNS2, click the notify button, enter the IP
of DNS2 to be notified to do a zone transfer. On DNS2, create a new
secondary zone getting the zone data from DNS1.

> Is it to set them up
> seperately as new secondary zones on DNS2, or is there a way so
> anything on DNS1 will automatically replicate to DNS2?

No way, only AD integrated zones will replicate automatically, a secondary
zone cannot be AD integrated.

> I should just stress that the AD-Integrated zone of the domain DNS1
> and DNS2 are part of synchronises perfectly well, as it should do.
> It's just the secondary zones on DNS1 that aren't.

I guess I should stress, the secondary zones will not and cannot
automatically replicate to other DNS servers. :) They must be manually
configured.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]