Using Windows DNS as a public DNS

I have long used Win2003 DNS for my own domains, and want to provide DNS for
some of my customers. My regular domains are manually set up as file-based
(as opposed to AD-integrated) domains because I needed to have the SOA
record use the public FQDN, and of course any AD-integrated domain gets the
DNS server's *internal* name on the SOA. You can change it, but Windows
changes it right back.

Could have sworn I saw an article on how to disable that behavior, but
didn't need it at the time and figured I could just Google it if I ever did.
Well, now I do and can't find it to save my life. I can just use file-based
domains and rig the registry settings such that the zones will transfer
internally but it sure would be cooler to store them in AD.

In news:uUCXG5MeFHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Microsoft News <dlwest@gmail.com> posted this:
> I have long used Win2003 DNS for my own domains, and want to provide
> DNS for some of my customers. My regular domains are manually set up
> as file-based (as opposed to AD-integrated) domains because I needed
> to have the SOA record use the public FQDN, and of course any
> AD-integrated domain gets the DNS server's *internal* name on the
> SOA. You can change it, but Windows changes it right back.
>
> Could have sworn I saw an article on how to disable that behavior, but
> didn't need it at the time and figured I could just Google it if I
> ever did. Well, now I do and can't find it to save my life. I can
> just use file-based domains and rig the registry settings such that
> the zones will transfer internally but it sure would be cooler to
> store them in AD.

There is an article that relates to NS record creation, it is intended for
domains with more than 800 Domain Controllers. I don't think this will
change the SOA primary (MNAME) record. You should probably use standard
zones for external domains.
267855 - Problems with Many Domain Controllers with Active Directory
Integrated DNS Zones:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;267855&Product=win2000

--?
Best regards,