PC restart during game.

Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Allright so i just built my system and got it up and running last week. I downloaded the F.E.A.R. multiplayer from the companys web site and i installed and played it 2day. It was running really poorly no matter what i did, the mouse sensitivity was ridiculously high even when i adjusted it and the game was running choppy even at low resolutions (even though im running a BFG 7900gt OC!). All of a sudden my computer clicks and restarts w/no audio device!!!. I did a system restore and everything is fine. Did i do any damage to my computer? Did the CPU overheat?

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
random drops like the one described sound like a classic underpowered PSU dropping under load.

Then again it might be driver issues, but a full system restart versus a hang makes it less likely; give us some system specs and we'll try to steer you in the right direction.

Make sure you've got the latest and greatest drivers and make sure all the the appropriate power cables are plugged in, i.e.; the 6 pin molex connector on the video card and any additional power connections on the mobo. If the drivers are up to date and all the necessary power connections are made, then the next thing to check out is the power supply. Try out this PSU calculator to see if your is underpowered and check with BFG to see if the card requires a minimum wattage and/or amperage rating from the psu.

This was happening to me a while back and with a little research, I realized I needed a minimum 300w psu with at least 20amps on the 12v rails. Swapped out that psu and never had the same problem again.

Good luck!

Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Ok im running an amd 64 x2 4200 (am2)
gigabyte s5 mobo
1gb of OCZ DDR2 5-5-5-15 (pretty sure)
BFG 7900gt OC

The PSU is a 430 watt extreme power from Cooler Master.

I think it may have been a problem with the game cuse i've been playing Counter strike, Day of Defeat and Half Life 2 at full settings for hours without so much as a hickup. I've also been playing star wars empire at war, Rise of nations and other games and programs with noooo problems. The game was running really funky ne way so i think it was just the program. My concern is ne damage 2 my system that might have resulted. The sound thing was kinda weird. all the drivers just dissapeared until i did the system restore

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
check what voltage the ram needs and check what its getting from your MB. fear is a high stress game which may be why its falling over. if the ram doesnt get enought juice the system may crash. also OCZ ram needs slightly higher voltages...(i think)

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
What should i change it to and how will this effect my system? It is available through the standard bios but i think that the default option is the lowest it goes. Im inclined 2 leave this alone seeing as how i wasnt so enamored w/ F.E.A.R. that im willing to mess around too much seeing as how this i the first time that its happend.

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006

according to the gigabyte website ur motherboard does not support OCZ memory.

*ouch*

this might be why understrain they fail. this problem will be re-occouring untill u swap either the ram or the MB.

hate to say this but u need to check things like this before u by the products. u might be able to bodge it still in the BIOS.

these are the modules which ur board will work with at 6400 speed.

512MB A-DATA
512MB CORSAIR
1GB CORSAIR
512MB Infineon
512MB Kingston
1GB Kingston
512MB MICRON
1GB MICRON
512MB NANYA
1GB NANYA
256MB Samsung
512MB Transcend

hope this solves the mystery. sell the ram on eBay. get some more or everytime u stress the CPU ur going to see crashes. and u can forget overclocking it.

mrmez

Splendid
Try returning all components, ram, cpu, gpu... to stock settings. OCing can often cause instability.
Different games also stress diff components. HL2.2 KILLS my cpu and gpu, while Oblivion is easier on the cpu 8O Go figure
By the way its running tho.. uninstall, update drivers, reinstall. If no joy, try a diff version of the game if available.

dmantech

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
That Click was your hard drive and it is usually because of poor airflow, at least from my experience. Hard drives get hot too! I had a Athlon XP System and I would get those clicks from my hard drive and then the system would restart all because of poor airflow and a bad case. My resolution that fixed it was I added a extra fan however I started to ge a new case alltogether, but after I added that fan the hard drive did not click no more therefore it never restarted again. :)

Latest posts