Alias for a server

Oscar

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003

Just to confirm that I'm correct,

We are planning to migrate our old storage system with NT4 to a new box with
w2003, a lot of users have access to this old server have access to it by
mapped drives and with applications referencing to this server with
F:\\server\share everything it's fine at this point. The new box by corporate
policy should not have the same name because a new name convention for new
windows servers so my question is, will an alias referencing new server to
old name server will be enough for my users been able to still working
without problems? in theory this should work but any other idea i'm not
thinking about this problem?

Thanks for time and help,
Oscar

In news:6722E606-0C50-43D3-A5DD-7B91EC75B3BF@microsoft.com,
Oscar <Oscar@discussions.microsoft.com> posted this:
> Just to confirm that I'm correct,
>
> We are planning to migrate our old storage system with NT4 to a new
> box with w2003, a lot of users have access to this old server have
> access to it by mapped drives and with applications referencing to
> this server with F:\\server\share everything it's fine at this point.
> The new box by corporate policy should not have the same name because
> a new name convention for new windows servers so my question is, will
> an alias referencing new server to old name server will be enough for
> my users been able to still working without problems? in theory this
> should work but any other idea i'm not thinking about this problem?

It will work but you have to follow this KB for the server to work by the
alias name.
281308 - Connecting to SMB share on a Windows 2000-based computer or a
Windows Server 2003-based computer may not work with an alias name:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281308

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

"Oscar10" wrote:
> Just to confirm that I'm correct,
>
> We are planning to migrate our old storage system with NT4 to
> a new box with
> w2003, a lot of users have access to this old server have
> access to it by
> mapped drives and with applications referencing to this server
> with
> F:\servershare everything it's fine at this point. The new
> box by corporate
> policy should not have the same name because a new name
> convention for new
> windows servers so my question is, will an alias referencing
> new server to
> old name server will be enough for my users been able to still
> working
> without problems? in theory this should work but any other
> idea i'm not
> thinking about this problem?
>
> Thanks for time and help,
> Oscar

If users and apps are using the drive mapping, you could change the
mapping and you’re done.
or has the UNC path been hardcoded in apps?

If the new server is W2k3 but it is in a W2K AD you could assign it an
alternate computername using the procedure mentioned below and
configure an additional service principal name in AD with SETSPN
After configuring the regkeys run:
ipconfig /registerdns (to register the altername DNS name in DNS)
nbtstat -RR (to register the altername NetBIOS name in WINS)

If the server is w2k3 and you have a w2k3 AD domain with at least
functional level w2k3 then you can use: NetDom computername
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/TechRef/9f921edc-87f5-460e-89ee-9ca56ec1d096.mspx)
It will then register the alternate name in WINS and in DNS and in AD
and it will configure an additional SPN in AD.
After assigning the alternate name run:
ipconfig /registerdns (to register the altername DNS name in DNS)
nbtstat -RR (to register the altername NetBIOS name in WINS)

#############################
EXTRA DNS NAME FOR SERVER
Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Par
ameters
2. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Multi-String Value.
3. Type AlternateComputerNames, and then press ENTER.
4. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
5. In the Value data box, type the fully qualified DNS names of the
old servers. This action registers the
names in DNS. Each server name must be on its own line. For example,
type:
oldserver1.contoso.com
oldserver2.contoso.com
oldserver3.contoso.com

#############################
EXTRA NetBIOS NAME FOR SERVER
On the server, follow these steps to configure the OptionalNames
registry value:
a. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver
parameters
b. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Multi-String Value.
c. Type OptionalNames, and then press ENTER.
d. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
e. In the Value data box, type the NetBIOS names of the old servers
(oldserver1, oldserver2, and oldserver3)
each on their own line, and then click OK. This action registers the
names in Windows Internet Name Service
(WINS) for the server.
13. Restart the Server service on the server.

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/DNS-Alias-server-ftopict549780.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1741267