MrPaladin

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I'm currently in the process of gathering the parts for my first build and I need some help choosing a motherboard. I've already purchased some Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (2GB) and an X1900XTX. I plan on going Crossfire eventually (read: next year), but given the current dearth of Crossfire capable Socket AM2 Motherboards (only 1 on newegg, and from a lower-end company), it would probably be more logical to buy a cheaper mobo now and try to upgrade once more XFire boards become available. My question is this: what is the best AM2 motherboard on the market now for less than $150 -- it may have to last me into next summer, so I can't really afford to skimp, but I don't plan on keeping it for more than a few months.

For What It's Worth, I'm Currently looking at the Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe for $140.

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
asrock motherboard: http://www.asrock.com/index_english.html
biostar motherboard: http://www.biostar.com.tw/t-series/index.php

i think both of them are below USD $100.

i have bad experience with biostar motherboard, not the performance, but it's integrated onboard vga which is using geforce 6100, it could not display 1024x768 resolution ~ 75hz refresh rate very well on three 17" crt monitor, there were vertical flickers. replaced the motherboard, still got the same result. the only solution is to set the 1024x768 resolution to 70hz refresh rate, or to change my crt monitor into a lcd monitor.

since you will using a vga card, i don't think my biostar problem won't bother you at all, especially if you're using a lcd monitor.

hope this will help you choose. goodluck!

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
i didn't notice that you looked for asus motherboard. IMHO you should go with the asus deluxe motherboard if money doesn't matter to you.

MrPaladin

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
It's not that money is no object, I've about $1200 after a Monitor, Windows, a keyboard, etc. I'm just loathe to drop $200+ on a board that may need to be upgraded once the DirectX 10 video cards. I've heard good things about Asus Motherboards and I think I'll keep the one I'm looking at unless anyone can tell me another board that is better.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Get a budget board and Crossfire. The ECS KA3-MVP Extreme has been well reviewed, and can be had, after rebate, for $110 from newegg. I know ECS has a sketchy reputation, but some of their boards are pretty good. I've not sold or built with this particular board, but have noticed that it's pretty well reviewed.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
If youre going with only one video card right now, and planning on changing mobos, youre current mobo has no reason to have SLI.
If you like Asus boards the M2N-E would be youre best choice for now. In fact ild say go for and youll see how you wont need to go for CF any time soon (if youre planning on waiting six months for it). By then you will simply replace your card for a DX10 one.
But if you meant budget mobo this MSI K9N Neo-F is the cheapest in the AM2 500 series.

MrPaladin

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Hmm, I was kind of hesitant to buy a cheap mobo, but now I'm starting to think otherwise. I guess my real question is this: given that I most likely will replace it once both of the DirectX 10 chipsets come out, but I may need to use it for at most 10 months, is there any reason why I should choose the M2N-SLI Deluxe over the M2N-E?

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Hmm, I was kind of hesitant to buy a cheap mobo, but now I'm starting to think otherwise. I guess my real question is this: given that I most likely will replace it once both of the DirectX 10 chipsets come out, but I may need to use it for at most 10 months, is there any reason why I should choose the M2N-SLI Deluxe over the M2N-E?

None, they both use the same 570 chipset so no problem there, and since you arent going SLI with this mobo I see absolutly no reason.
In fact you shouldnt be upgrading mobo until youll buy your second DX10 ATI card.

MrPaladin

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I feel so bad. After this thread I found out that the RAM I've already purchased had latency too high for AM2, so now I'm looking into Core2. I'm so sorry. :oops: Thanks for all your help though, you guys are truly a testament to computer junkies everywhere.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I feel so bad. After this thread I found out that the RAM I've already purchased had latency too high for AM2, so now I'm looking into Core2. I'm so sorry. :oops: Thanks for all your help though, you guys are truly a testament to computer junkies everywhere.

The Corsair memory works more than fine in AM2, in fact I dont think any memory has "too high latency" but well if youve changed to Conroe...
may I recommend the ASUS P5W DH DELUXE. Its a really good 775 CF mobo, its $270 but you wont need to upgrade to anything. If you dont believe me, youll believe anandtech lol

MrPaladin

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I believe Anandtech. Actually, that's the board I've been looking at. All the benchmarks I've seen show that an E6300 can overclock to E6600 stats, and given that an E6300 is about $70 cheaper than a comparable 4600+: I think I'll just bite the bullet and shell out the $270, seeing as the cheaper boards don't overclock. I've also realised that a SLI/Crossfire solution is sort of overkill, as I probably won't game at anything higher than 1600x1200 anyway. Sure, I'll miss out on Quad-Core initially, but as a friend said to put it in perspective: "Why do you need Quad-Core? Very few programs fully utilize Dual-Core now anyway." So true.