Will there be compatibility issues with this AM2 build?

muskyt

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Hey I'm new to the custom built pc world, but I've been doing alot of reading and feel that I am ready to tackle it!... def not gonna be wasting my money with companies like Dell anymore!! Anyway, this is what I bought for my first build... so I was wondering if you could leave some feedback on the system or let me know if you've had any major issues with the components so I can be prepared once my parts come in the mail! Also Ive read some reviews on newegg about my MOBO bios that might need flashing, but shouldn't I just boot up and see if everything is stable before I go and attempt that? Anything major I should watch out for (particularly with the PSU? I've read and its "seems" to be amazing) Thanks alot.

- AMD A64 X2 3800+ AM2 2x512K
- ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe NF570SLI AM2
- CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400 1Gx2
- XFX 7600GT XXX Edition
- 250G WD SATA2 WD2500KS
- THERMALTAKE Tsunami
- HIPER TypeR ATX12v 580W

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hey I'm new to the custom built pc world, but I've been doing alot of reading and feel that I am ready to tackle it!... def not gonna be wasting my money with companies like Dell anymore!! Anyway, this is what I bought for my first build... so I was wondering if you could leave some feedback on the system or let me know if you've had any major issues with the components so I can be prepared once my parts come in the mail! Also Ive read some reviews on newegg about my MOBO bios that might need flashing, but shouldn't I just boot up and see if everything is stable before I go and attempt that? Anything major I should watch out for (particularly with the PSU? I've read and its "seems" to be amazing) Thanks alot.

- AMD A64 X2 3800+ AM2 2x512K
- ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe NF570SLI AM2
- CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400 1Gx2
- XFX 7600GT XXX Edition
- 250G WD SATA2 WD2500KS
- THERMALTAKE Tsunami
- HIPER TypeR ATX12v 580W

HIPER makes good PSUs so you are fine there. The only thing I can see is, there is really no reason to get an SLI motherboard. Switch to the M2N-E instead and save a little. Make sure the RAM is CAS4 not CAS5.

muskyt

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
will the cas5 not work?
\

It will work but you will take a performance hit. AM2 likes low latency DDR2 RAM. CAS4 runs better, and offers better support when quad core CPUs come out.

K thanks alot for your help! since newegg is so damn fast with the processing its alittle to late to change my order, but since this is my first from scratch build i think the cas5 will suite my needs and besides this system is light years ahead of what im on now so hopefully everything will be ok...

Onthefarside

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
Looks great, you probably wouldn't notice the difference between cas4 and 5 ram unless you were doing heavy overclocking, plus the Asus M2N series of mobos is rock solid i've used many of them in previous builds, never had any problem. Just flash the bios after you get it up and running.

octop8

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Also Ive read some reviews on newegg about my MOBO bios that might need flashing, but shouldn't I just boot up and see if everything is stable before I go and attempt that?

Interesting to see that the BIOs needs flashing. It may not and I think you should test it first - may boot just fine, in fact I think there is a good chance it should boot fine. I built an AM2 rig recently (but with the 4600+ and M2N32 SLI which is nF590) and didn't need to flash the BIOs.