Passwording Admin. Account?

Bruce

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I'm running WinXPHome, SP1. My scheduled tasks used to run fine. Now
they won't run. The task log file indicats that there's no password set
for the user:

"McAfee.com Scan for Viruses - My Computer (XPMACHINE-DEFAULT).job"
(mcmnhdlr.exe) 10/22/2004 8:33:39 PM ** ERROR **
The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task
failed, therefore, the task did not run.
Verify that the task's Run-as name and password are valid and try
again.

I am the only user, and am therefore the administrator. (The only other
user is the Guest Account.) I don't use a password to log on; never
have. I am in a workgroup, networked to other machines in the house.
We are all in the same workgroup. Does this mean I am a domain account?
I didn't think it did.

From googling and from the Microsoft KBs, I've gotten conflicting
information as when a password is required. I've learned that this
sometimes happens with local accounts (non-domain accounts), and that
the solution is to password my user account. If I password my user
account, will I have to log on everytime I reboot my machine? Will I
ever be able to delete the password?

Thanks,
Bruce

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Line #67 - Run Scheduled tasks without PW - Home - (instructions for use are on the
top of the page)

For WinXP Pro
Open the Control Panel - Admin Tasks - Local Security Policy.
In Local Policies - Security options, double click in the right pane on Accounts:
Limit local account use of blank passwords and set to disabled

For further information as required:-

HOW TO: Schedule Tasks in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308569

Scheduled Tasks Cannot Run with a Blank Password
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310715
After you schedule a task by using the Scheduled Tasks tool, the task may not run at
the time you chose. If you view the status of the task, you may receive the following
error message:
The scheduled task did not run because no user account password was entered.

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Scheduled Tasks in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308558
This step-by-step article describes how to troubleshoot scheduled tasks in Windows
XP. If scheduled tasks do not run, you can use several methods to determine the
source of the problem.

Tasks May Not Run If a User Has Changed the Account Name
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303014
In the Scheduled Tasks tool, if you run a task, and you had previously changed your
account name, the task may not run. Also, when you create a task, you may receive the
following error message:

Task Scheduler Does Not Run Tasks When "Run As" User Account Has No Password
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311119
Task Scheduler may not run the tasks you or a third-party program specify. When you
view Task Scheduler, you may see a "Could not Start" status next to the task.

"Taurarian Constellation" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in

> [...]
>> The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task
>> failed, therefore, the task did not run.
>> Verify that the task's Run-as name and password are valid and try
>> again.
>>
>> I am the only user, and am therefore the administrator. (The only
>> other user is the Guest Account.) I don't use a password to log on;
>> never have. I am in a workgroup, networked to other machines in the
>> house. We are all in the same workgroup. Does this mean I am a
>> domain account? I didn't think it did.
>>
>> From googling and from the Microsoft KBs, I've gotten conflicting
>> information as when a password is required. I've learned that this
>> sometimes happens with local accounts (non-domain accounts), and that
>> the solution is to password my user account. If I password my user
>> account, will I have to log on everytime I reboot my machine? Will I

Thanks, "TC".

I've consulted those references, but hadn't found Kelly's .vbs. I tried
it, but still no luck (deleted tasks, applied .vbs, rebooted reinstalled
tasks, etc.).

But I discovered something that is consistent and repeatable. Each time
I manually run (right click run) a task from the task scheduler window,
it alternately fails and succeeds, fails and succeeds:

"Xnews.job" (Xnews.exe)
Finished 10/23/2004 7:10:09 PM
Result: The task completed with an exit code of (0).
"Xnews.job" (Xnews.exe) 10/23/2004 7:10:14 PM ** ERROR **
The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task
failed, therefore, the task did not run.
Verify that the task's Run-as name and password are valid and try
again.
"Xnews.job" (Xnews.exe)
Started 10/23/2004 7:10:18 PM
"Xnews.job" (Xnews.exe)
Finished 10/23/2004 7:10:21 PM
Result: The task completed with an exit code of (0).
"Xnews.job" (Xnews.exe) 10/23/2004 7:11:22 PM ** ERROR **
The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task
failed, therefore, the task did not run.
Verify that the task's Run-as name and password are valid and try
again.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Sorry I couldn't help you Bruce, I'm out of ideas on this one. Keep searching,
there'll be an answer somewhere.
Kaylene