Weirdest behaviour - dns or active directory?

Hi People

I have 2 dcs both run dns and one runs dhcp (dhcp server 10.0.0.2)

when i run the following command on my DC DHCP server one

netsh dhcp show server

it reports 2 dhcp servers called server01.mydomain.local (my only DHCP
server with ip 10.0.0.2 and another with another private ip
192.168.1.2)

i changed the ip of the dhcp server from 192.168.1.2 to the 10.x.x.x
range like a month ago but it appears that there is still a reference
to it

I guess this is more of an active directory thing as it says the
records were found in the directory service the really weird thing is
that if you ping that now non exitant 192.x.x.x ip address you DO get
one response but it is from my WAN ip reporting net unreachable- now
what on earth is going on there? the other 3 packets sent by ping fail
to come back

I have pasted the result of the above netsh command and the result of a
ping - can anyone please explain what is going on here and also how can
i remove the old 192.x.x.x dhcp server from the directory THIS IS WHAT I
REALL NEED TO KNOW

C:\Documents and Settings\manager>netsh dhcp show server

2 Servers were found in the directory service:

Server [server01.mydomain.local] Address [10.0.0.2] Ds
location: cn=10.0.0.2

Server [server01.mydomain.local] Address [192.168.1.2] Ds
location: cn=192.168.1.2

Command completed successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\manager>ping 192.168.1.2

Pinging 192.168.1.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Reply from 83.146.17.222: Destination net unreachable.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.2:

Does anyone know if this record in AD will cause a problem? have
checked and there is nothing i can see relating to this old server

there is probably a simple explanation but where is it?

thanks in advance

Simon

--
pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

The ping result seems entirely expected - you are routing 192.168 to the default gateway, and your ISP is rejecting the address,
which they should. After that ICMP message nothing more will happen.

I would try simply de-authorizing and re-authorizing your DHCP server in the server's DHCP snap-in again. Then run a netdiag /fix
and dcdiag /fix on both servers to clean up any lingering configuration problems. Check in Routing and Remote Access if it is
enabled - it can run its own DHCP, and you may have a 192.168.x.x reference or two left in there.

If none of that fixes it, go to netsh...dhcp...show...\\192.168.1.2, and see if it can display ("show") any of the properties for
the phantom server. If all else fails you can look with adsiedit.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"pscyime" <pscyime.1rglaa@> wrote in message news:ReWdnerFRtKI-lnfRVn_vg@giganews.com...

> Hi People
>

> I have 2 dcs both run dns and one runs dhcp (dhcp server 10.0.0.2)
>
> when i run the following command on my DC DHCP server one
>
> netsh dhcp show server
>
> it reports 2 dhcp servers called server01.mydomain.local (my only DHCP
> server with ip 10.0.0.2 and another with another private ip
> 192.168.1.2)
>
> i changed the ip of the dhcp server from 192.168.1.2 to the 10.x.x.x
> range like a month ago but it appears that there is still a reference
> to it
>
> I guess this is more of an active directory thing as it says the
> records were found in the directory service the really weird thing is
> that if you ping that now non exitant 192.x.x.x ip address you DO get
> one response but it is from my WAN ip reporting net unreachable- now
> what on earth is going on there? the other 3 packets sent by ping fail
> to come back
>
> I have pasted the result of the above netsh command and the result of a
> ping - can anyone please explain what is going on here and also how can
> i remove the old 192.x.x.x dhcp server from the directory THIS IS WHAT I
> REALL NEED TO KNOW
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\manager>netsh dhcp show server
>
> 2 Servers were found in the directory service:
>
> Server [server01.mydomain.local] Address [10.0.0.2] Ds
> location: cn=10.0.0.2
>
> Server [server01.mydomain.local] Address [192.168.1.2] Ds
> location: cn=192.168.1.2
>
> Command completed successfully.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\manager>ping 192.168.1.2
>
> Pinging 192.168.1.2 with 32 bytes of data:
>
> Request timed out.
> Reply from 83.146.17.222: Destination net unreachable.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
>
> Ping statistics for 192.168.1.2:
> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),
> Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
> Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
>

> Does anyone know if this record in AD will cause a problem? have
> checked and there is nothing i can see relating to this old server
>
> there is probably a simple explanation but where is it?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Simon
>

> --
> pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Steve

Thanks for your help

Further to the saga now when i log onto to the server I get a "rouge
dhcp server detection has encountered and error and needs to close"
message - this does not happen everytime i login tho but it NEVER used
to happen

I have de-authed and re-authed the DHCP server (10.0.0.2) , the only
one listed in DHCP MMC but this did not work. From what i remeber
are'nt non-authed DHCP server supposed to show with a little red mark
instead of green? this DID NOT HAPPEN thru the de-auth and re-auth the
DHCP server symbol remained green?

I also ran netdiag /fix and dcdiag /fix

rebooted server

but still when running netsh dhcp show server it reports still reports
the "rogue" server

running the command you suggest fails due to a syntax problem , netsh
dhcp show \\192.168.1.2 - have i got that right ?

I guess I need to use AdsiEdit then? any tips I understand its not to
be taken lightly

What am I looking for with in adsiedit or is there any other way to
remove this rogue server

Thanks in advance for your time

Regards

Simon

--
pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

HI

Still not managed to resolve this issue - have been messing about all
day so far to no avail

I think i may be able to remove this reference to the rogue dhcp server
using dsrm but i am having difficutly workingout the syntax with either
dsquery or dsget to actually locate the rogue dhcp server

when running netsh dhcp show server it reports the cn=192.168.1.2 but i
cannot find this refence using any of the DS tools

Maybe adsiedit is the only way but no-one seems to be able to help

i am rapidly losing my hair on this one now i can work out where the
rogue came from and that i should have probably de-authed the dhcp in
AD before changing its IP but as I didnt HOW CAN I FIX the issue I have
caused

I am sure i cannot be the only person in the world to ever change the
ip of their dhcp and cause the rogue issue, bearing in mind this is a
change i made over 1 month ago

Please please please help or is it just not fixable , i mean if netsh
gave a valid DN for the server i could use the DS tools to locate and
remove but it doesnt

Whats going on people, if anyone solves this may you help yourself to a
hearty pat on the back , a cigar and drink of your choosing. you will
also maybe prevent my wig maker enlisting a new client

Best regards

Simon

--
pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Have you tried simply uninstalling the entire DHCP service (using Windows components in add/remove programs) and then reinstalling?
If your scope has complex reservations you should export your existing configuration first, this is different in 2000 vs 2003, but
is covered in a KB article on the topic.

I have no idea offhand where the DHCP container in AD is in the namespace; I'm sure it's locatable, but you're right that is a last
resort.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"pscyime" <pscyime.1rlp1a@> wrote in message news:-fOdnQYzCbyglFXfRVn_vg@giganews.com...

> HI
>
> Still not managed to resolve this issue - have been messing about all
> day so far to no avail
>
> I think i may be able to remove this reference to the rogue dhcp server
> using dsrm but i am having difficutly workingout the syntax with either
> dsquery or dsget to actually locate the rogue dhcp server
>
> when running netsh dhcp show server it reports the cn=192.168.1.2 but i
> cannot find this refence using any of the DS tools
>
> Maybe adsiedit is the only way but no-one seems to be able to help
>
> i am rapidly losing my hair on this one now i can work out where the
> rogue came from and that i should have probably de-authed the dhcp in
> AD before changing its IP but as I didnt HOW CAN I FIX the issue I have
> caused
>
> I am sure i cannot be the only person in the world to ever change the
> ip of their dhcp and cause the rogue issue, bearing in mind this is a
> change i made over 1 month ago
>
> Please please please help or is it just not fixable , i mean if netsh
> gave a valid DN for the server i could use the DS tools to locate and
> remove but it doesnt
>
> Whats going on people, if anyone solves this may you help yourself to a
> hearty pat on the back , a cigar and drink of your choosing. you will
> also maybe prevent my wig maker enlisting a new client
>

> Best regards
>
> Simon
>

> --
> pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Steve

Issue resolved see above post

the location of dhcp server in the AD is

cn=netservices cn=services cn=configuration dc=domain dc=local

in here you will find objects in the Dhcpclass, it is here where dhcp
servers are located, removed offending OLD cn=192.168.1.2 , leaving
10.0.0.2 and now the issue is resolved

thanks for the advice on ADSIedit , and to answer your post
uninstalling and reinstalling the DHCP role on the server did again not
resolve the issue.

Regards

Simon

--