How to Reinstall DNS

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Guys,

I am having DC name rillet.com, it was previously configured with Active
Directory integrated DNS. sometimes back when i check there are no Entries
in DNS so i removed DNS server and reinstalled.. still i am not sure how to
setup Active directory DNS server in that domain.

any step by step procedure to configure DNS Server in the Domain?

Please let me know....

Thom.

"Thomas" <thomas_dost@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Guys,
>
> I am having DC name rillet.com, it was previously configured with Active
> Directory integrated DNS. sometimes back when i check there are no Entries
> in DNS so i removed DNS server and reinstalled.. still i am not sure how
> setup Active directory DNS server in that domain.
>
> any step by step procedure to configure DNS Server in the Domain?

Seach built-in help for [ DNS checklist ] or Google for:

[ "DNS server" Step-by-step site:microsoft.com ]

But the simple answer is to open Add/Remove programs,
Windows Components, Network Services and make sure
the DNS server is choose to install.

Configure the server and create any zones you need. (Right
click "new zone" wizard.)

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

"" wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I am having DC name rillet.com, it was previously configured
> with Active
> Directory integrated DNS. sometimes back when i check there
> are no Entries
> in DNS so i removed DNS server and reinstalled.. still i am
> not sure how to
> setup Active directory DNS server in that domain.
>
> any step by step procedure to configure DNS Server in the
> Domain?
>
> Please let me know....
>
> Thom.

First of all: DON’T USE SINGLE LABLE DNS DOMAIN NAMES like only
DOMAIN. Always use 2 or more lable DNS domain like DOMAIN.COM

Lets say you want to call your AD domain TEST.NET and your server’s
name is SRVR and its IP address is 10.1.1.1. (these are just examples
so be happy to replace with your own names!)
The FQDN of the server wull be: SRVR.TEST.NET

* Install a w2k3 server and assigned the name SRVR and assign it the
IP address 10.1.1.1 with lets say 255.255.255.0. For DNS and WINS also
assign 10.1.1.1
* After installation install DNS and WINS with Add/Remove Programs
* After DNS install create the PRIMARY zone called TEST.NET and allow
dynamic updates
* Also create the zone called _MSDCS.TEST.NET and also allow dynamic
updates
* Promote the server to a DC using DCPROMO. Use as DNS domain for the
AD domain TEST.NET and use as NetBIOS name for the AD domain TEST
* After DCPROMO is finished reboot the server
* After the Reboot start the DNS console
* Change the zone TEST.NET from primary to AD integrated, set as
replication scope (only in w2k3) all the DNS servers in the domain and
allow only secure updates
* Optional for this zone: enable AGING with the default values
* Change the zone _MSDCS.TEST.NET from primary to AD integrated, set
as replication scope (only in w2k3) all the DNS servers in the forest
and allow only secure updates
* Optional for this zone: enable AGING with the default values
* At DNS server level enable scavenging (advanced TAB) with the
default values

you’re done!

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/DNS-Reinstall-ftopict552131.html