DNS-server

yvonne

Hi!

I have just got my own top-level domain and want to try it on my own server.
I have registered my domain with a swedish registrar, Loopia.se. Before I
used no-ip (since my IP is changing sometimes), but since I have my own
domain now it isn't free anymore. I really don't want to pay for the service
right now since I'm only testing everything for educational purposes.

I have a server that works with my IP-adress and I use Windows 2000 with
apache. I also have a netgear router.

I did find another free service, dnsexit.com and did signup for that
service, but when I did sign in at Loopia and tried to change the
nameservers to point to dnsexit I couldn't do that since they wanted the
IP-numbers for dnsexit as well, but I can't find it anywhere at their site.
I am waitng for a response from dnsexit but I have been waiting for a while
and have no patience to wait.

Then I tried another service that was recommended by Loopia, DNSer (
http://www.access.si/DNSer/DNSer.htm ). I did place the two files in
c:/winnt and did configure the ini-file and installed and started the
service as described.

Does anyone know some better free dns service? I also like to get better
knowledge about how to set up my own dns-server. I would like to know how I
can set up a server with my top-level domain on my own machine and use as
little as possible of services outside. What I mean is I want to learn to
make as much as possible myself.

Can somebody help me? I hope you understand!

Thanks
Yvonne

In news:l5vxe.28424$d5.181595@newsb.telia.net,
Yvonne <clownen2005@telia.com> posted this:
> Hi!
>
> I have just got my own top-level domain and want to try it on my own
> server. I have registered my domain with a swedish registrar,
> Loopia.se. Before I used no-ip (since my IP is changing sometimes),
> but since I have my own domain now it isn't free anymore. I really
> don't want to pay for the service right now since I'm only testing
> everything for educational purposes.
>
> I have a server that works with my IP-adress and I use Windows 2000
> with apache. I also have a netgear router.
>
> I did find another free service, dnsexit.com and did signup for that
> service, but when I did sign in at Loopia and tried to change the
> nameservers to point to dnsexit I couldn't do that since they wanted
> the IP-numbers for dnsexit as well, but I can't find it anywhere at
> their site. I am waitng for a response from dnsexit but I have been
> waiting for a while and have no patience to wait.
>
> Then I tried another service that was recommended by Loopia, DNSer (
> http://www.access.si/DNSer/DNSer.htm ). I did place the two files in
> c:/winnt and did configure the ini-file and installed and started the
> service as described.
>
> Does anyone know some better free dns service? I also like to get
> better knowledge about how to set up my own dns-server. I would like
> to know how I can set up a server with my top-level domain on my own
> machine and use as little as possible of services outside. What I
> mean is I want to learn to make as much as possible myself.
>
> Can somebody help me? I hope you understand!

Does your registrar not have their own DNS service for you to use?

Is it the dynamic IP you are concerned with?

You can try TZO, for about $25 US a year you can use an alias to resolve
your domain, or for $60 US per year you can have TZO host your DNS service.
The free ones are going by the wayside due to supply and demand, and some
that say they are free have other little things (like ads) you didn't figure
on.
If it is just a temporary site, you might choose the alias method that gives
you a 30 day trial.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
with OEBackup:

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

Not to plug them again, but I also use TZO without any problems.