having root hints work for internal domains other then my ..

any way to add a new domain that is on my intrenet to my root hints? I have
tryed adding the domain newdomain.com and the IP address of the SOA with no
luck.
5 answers Last reply
More about having root hints work internal domains

    Hi mark,

    I think you are asking for modifying the hosts file.

    The hosts file is located at

    C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

    TCP/IP Name Resolution
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;108295

    br,
    Denis

    In news:77AF789C-0712-4A67-9923-B05AD301A378@microsoft.com,
    mark decker <markdecker@discussions.microsoft.com> posted this:
    > any way to add a new domain that is on my intrenet to my root hints?
    > I have tryed adding the domain newdomain.com and the IP address of
    > the SOA with no luck.

    Unless you are using another root other than the ICANN Root you should not
    modify the root hints.
    That said, your question is very unclear, can you clarify your problem and
    question?

    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================

    I hope this clears up my Q. We have set up a network link with a company
    that we will work with. That link is only 1MB in size and I do not wish to
    set up a secondary zone for the " other.domain.com" if I can help it. I do
    need to have the systems about 500 in all access and resolve for FQDN on the
    "other" domain. I have try to set up new root hints in side the DNS to point
    to the SOA of the "other.domain.com" but I was not able resolve to that
    doamin. I hope you can help, thank you

    In news:6F54AC4B-437B-4508-979F-8A56EF5FD1F2@microsoft.com,
    mark decker <markdecker@discussions.microsoft.com> posted this:
    > I hope this clears up my Q. We have set up a network link with a
    > company that we will work with. That link is only 1MB in size and I
    > do not wish to set up a secondary zone for the " other.domain.com" if
    > I can help it. I do need to have the systems about 500 in all access
    > and resolve for FQDN on the "other" domain. I have try to set up new
    > root hints in side the DNS to point to the SOA of the
    > "other.domain.com" but I was not able resolve to that doamin. I hope
    > you can help, thank you

    As I previously stated, you shouldn't modify Root Hints. DNS will not send a
    recursive Query to a Root hint server. If this is Win2k3 you can configure a
    conditional forwarder for the other domain. If you have Win2k, you have to
    set up a secondary zone for the other domain or use the other DNS as a
    forwarder, which is generally not recommended because then all external
    queries will go to it first before it starts using root hints to make
    iteritave queries.

    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    with OEBackup:

    Hi mark,

    Really never came across this situation. But how about if you forward the
    dns requests from your dns server to their dns server using the Forwarders
    tab?

Domain Microsoft Windows