Wireless Laptops with Ethernet NIC

We have WinXP wireless laptops that have Ethernet NICs. Do you know of any
problems having two connections on different subnets to the same network?
These laptops will be using both the wireless NIC and the Ethernet NIC
depending on where it is located at the time. Will Microsoft Win2000 DNS,
DHCP, WINS, etc have a problem with this?
Thanks,
Warner.
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless laptops ethernet

    In news:F7ECA987-30B9-41B5-8BB0-E20EB27BFF06@microsoft.com,
    Warner@nospam.postalias <Warnernospampostalias@discussions.microsoft.com>
    stated, which I then commented below:
    > We have WinXP wireless laptops that have Ethernet NICs. Do you know
    > of any problems having two connections on different subnets to the
    > same network? These laptops will be using both the wireless NIC and
    > the Ethernet NIC depending on where it is located at the time. Will
    > Microsoft Win2000 DNS, DHCP, WINS, etc have a problem with this?
    > Thanks,
    > Warner.

    Depending on if you want to register both connections into DNS and will
    register the one connected at the time. Then you have to take the TTL of
    your DNS and WINS records into account. WINS should overwrite the current
    entry with the new reg, but DNS may make a duplicate. May not be too big of
    a deal. Just enable Scavenging in DNS.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    =================================

    In news:F7ECA987-30B9-41B5-8BB0-E20EB27BFF06@microsoft.com,
    Warner@nospam.postalias <Warnernospampostalias@discussions.microsoft.com>
    posted this:
    > We have WinXP wireless laptops that have Ethernet NICs. Do you know
    > of any problems having two connections on different subnets to the
    > same network? These laptops will be using both the wireless NIC and
    > the Ethernet NIC depending on where it is located at the time. Will
    > Microsoft Win2000 DNS, DHCP, WINS, etc have a problem with this?
    > Thanks,
    > Warner.

    The only problem you may have is if you try to just unplug the wired NIC or
    just turn off the wireless NIC. Doing this will leave the old registrations
    in DNS and possibly cause connection errors if you have shared resources on
    the laptop.

    Always run ipconfig /release before disconnecting either NIC. You can do
    this with a batch file on the desktop. You should also have a batch file
    with this command: ipconfig /renew & ipconfig /flushdns for reconnecting.

    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================

    wrote in message news:F7ECA987-30B9-41B5-8BB0-E20EB27BFF06@microsoft.com...
    > We have WinXP wireless laptops that have Ethernet NICs. Do you know of
    any
    > problems having two connections on different subnets to the same network?
    > These laptops will be using both the wireless NIC and the Ethernet NIC
    > depending on where it is located at the time. Will Microsoft Win2000 DNS,
    > DHCP, WINS, etc have a problem with this?

    Keep them on different subnets and it should be no worse than the
    other posters have indicated.

    Do NOT put two NICs from the same machine on the same "bridged"
    network -- and yes, todays wireless hubs can commonly bridge a
    wireless net to a wired Ethernet. This is fine for very small networks
    using a single subnet but it will play havoc with that machines
    connectivity if both NICs are ever active concurrently.

    (Bridged network = single broadcast domain)

    Train users (good luck but necessary) to RELEASE DHCP which
    should de-register dynamic addresses in DNS, especially if the
    DHCP server is setup to handle DNS and deregister the clients.

    ipconfig /release
    (and /renew when reaching the new subnet...)

    A batch file is good for this -- it is much easier to teach them
    to run the batch file than why or how to perform the commands.
    (Icon/shortcut on desktop, or better on quicklaunch or Start Menu.

    Also consider including commands to nbtstat -RR (caps are needed)
    "Re-Register" NetBIOS with WINS, and IPConfig /registerDNS
    AFTER the switch -- this will get them properly registered with the
    new addresses (and in the case of WINS undo the 'other' net.)

    Make sure the clients use the SAME WINS server. It makes such
    registrations more likely to work cleanly. Although WINS is in
    some sense multi-mastered, there are ways in which it is not, and
    these may cause trouble under some circumstance -- so just avoid
    as much of that as possible.

    Most of the problems will be with contacting the stations for things
    like peer file sharing and personal web sites but not with the use
    by that client of "real servers."

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

Wireless Laptops Ethernet Card NIC Windows