benne911

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I dont know if this is in the right spot....but it should be :?:

Hi, my ive had my pc for about 9-10 months (built it myself) and have always had an overheating problem since ive built the computer. games actually run slower now than they did on my old setup. But now i actually want to fix that after not playing games for about that amount of time. my setup is as follows.
MOBO: MSI 925X NEO-54G
Processor: 3.0 GHZ LGA775 P4 530J / with aftermarket fan freezer 7
Vid Card: 256mb radeon x800 xl pci-express
ram: 1GB Patriot extreme ddr2
HD: Western Digital 80 GB IDE
PSU: 450W antec

The problem is under any load the computer seems to slow down extremely. when i run a game its usually stop and go every few frames. I dont understand this because my old pc ran the same games perfrectly. I also ran a throttle watch program and during games it showed a ridiculous amount of throttling goin on. Does anyone know why this is happening because its driving me crazy and id like to start playing my games again. Is it possible that something is deffective or is there some problem that im not realizing that needs to be adressed. Thankyou, any help is greatly appreciated. (also when the computer is under the simplest load it seems to make some weird noise that sounds really similar to the sound a door makes when it slowly creaks open except it does it fast.)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I dont know if this is in the right spot....but it should be :?:

Hi, my ive had my pc for about 9-10 months (built it myself) and have always had an overheating problem since ive built the computer. games actually run slower now than they did on my old setup. But now i actually want to fix that after not playing games for about that amount of time. my setup is as follows.
MOBO: MSI 925X NEO-54G
Processor: 3.0 GHZ LGA775 P4 530J / with aftermarket fan freezer 7
Vid Card: 256mb radeon x800 xl pci-express
ram: 1GB Patriot extreme ddr2
HD: Western Digital 80 GB IDE
PSU: 450W antec

The problem is under any load the computer seems to slow down extremely. when i run a game its usually stop and go every few frames. I dont understand this because my old pc ran the same games perfrectly. I also ran a throttle watch program and during games it showed a ridiculous amount of throttling goin on. Does anyone know why this is happening because its driving me crazy and id like to start playing my games again. Is it possible that something is deffective or is there some problem that im not realizing that needs to be adressed. Thankyou, any help is greatly appreciated. (also when the computer is under the simplest load it seems to make some weird noise that sounds really similar to the sound a door makes when it slowly creaks open except it does it fast.)
The creeking noise is likely your CPU heatsink's fan dying. It's probably starting and stopping sporatically, causing the CPU to overheat and throttle. Open the case, and watch the fan for signs of slowing and/or stopping. Also listen to it for the creeky noise. You may just have to get a new fan for the heatsink. If it isn't that, then maybe it's a case fan or the PSU fan dying. GL :)

benne911

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
The heatsink fan is actually running fine. Too bad i cant see the psu fans lol but it the sound seems to be coming from the processor itself. Its really hard to explain. I guess i will just write intel and msi and try to get new parts. Ive been successful in the past with other companies.

ExtremeOC

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
I have the same processor as u (pentium 4 530J), and yes u are right the chip does over heat, but u can stop that with an good after market cooler, the one i installed is the coolermaster dont know what they call it... but here is a link if u want to have a look at it, i recommend it 100% because it reduced the heating problems, and the noise i had

Product Link:

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/Products.aspx?pid=1109

Good Luck

benne911

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I acutally have the arctic cooling freezer 7 but everything is still running the same as it did on the stock. I am starting to believe something is defective. I am guessing the mobo or processor due to when i was building my PC the initial stock fan would not seat because one clip would never fasten causing me to become frustrated and trying to force it down and then hold the mobo in my hand and try a whole bunch of ways. Well i guess im just going to buy another mobo and psu and write intel and see if theyll replace my processor lol. Ill see what happens. Thanks

ExtremeOC

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
I had the same problems, i hate that LGA 775 socket. it seems so complicated to put the thing in place, i had to force it in, then later i managed to get it in, but i didnt like the noise i got nor the overheating... so i removed it and i installed a better one, u can write intel about it... i dont think ur processor is defective, try adding a better CPU cooler and maybe u will notice some difference... also make sure u have case fans cause that intel processor does generate lots of heat,

good luck

ExtremeOC

benne911

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
yah i really hate the fans sockets on the lga775....they couldnt just stick with the standard earlier pentium 4 kind. my aftermarket heatsink fan combo is actually a top rated one. so i still dont understand why it is running so laggy. Its driving me crazy. I know there is a warranty with intel processors so hopefully i can get them to replace it or at least confirm its o.k. Then i will go upon replacing the motherboard. Extreme OC by any chance do you know a good or the best mobo for that processor. and also did you experience extremely laggy game performance? Thanks for your help

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
The heatsink fan is actually running fine. Too bad i cant see the psu fans lol but it the sound seems to be coming from the processor itself. Its really hard to explain. I guess i will just write intel and msi and try to get new parts. Ive been successful in the past with other companies.
Were you able to actually check the fan speed/noise while the CPU's under load? See if you can start a game, and have a friend/relative do a little gaming to heat it up. If i understand your post correctly, you have the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 HSF on it. The fan on that is PWM, and therefore will adjust it's speed according to temp(thus load). Maybe as it gets hotter and tries to spin faster, the bearings start grinding, which in-turn would slow it back down....causing an overheat/throttle.

You may have seen this page regarding that HSF, if not take a look:

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=79&data=3&disc=

GL :)

ExtremeOC

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
For the motherboard i went kinda budget, but it still gets the job well done. i chose the ASROCK 775DUAL-915GL, it is a very good motherboard and i really like it's features, it is very solid and is stable. i have been running it with the 530J for about 14 months and it seems to be fine, but the overheating and lagging at games is another story. I dont know maybe it is the design of this processor but when i play bf2 or any other game for more than 1 hours the game starts to slow down not alot, but u can feel it and the more u play the more u suffer, the temperature also rises not by a huge margin, but abuot 3'C every 1 hour... before i start playing my bf2 i am usually 35-38'C, but after 1 hour of bf2 temps hit 40's and keep rising... the last thing i did was put 2 case fans in my case and temperatures remain somewhat stable, but not always. All i can say is that if are able to to return this processor and it's mobo and get a better cpu (i.e athlon 64) u would be alot happer and not waste time trying to figure out a way to keep ur CPU cool... for me my pc running at 45'C with 3 hours of bf2 is normal... but if it bothers u then u should think of something else, also even though the cpu get's hot, i still barely hear it because of that coolermaster i gave u a link to... it is pretty silent 8)

The best thing i recommend is to take back ur cpu and mobo and get an athlon 64, it will make ur life easier

EDIT: SORRY FOR Grammar MISTAKES, i was typing really fast :oops:

regards,

ExtremeOC

benne911

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
thanks again, actually in the future i was looking towards the pentium d processors with dual cores. But i dont have the money yet. I am curious though if I can use my current 530J on the pentium d supportive boards such as the 975x. On the specs for the abit aw8d mobo 975x chipset it says it accepts P4 lga775, extreme editions and pentium D's. So i was thinking this is the way i would go. But i am just curious if this mobo accepts sli because i am going to think about switching over sometime but dont want to buy everything over again. It says it has dual pci-x16 slots but i havent read up on hardware in a few months and really need the help. Any more help is appreciated. And thanks again

ExtremeOC

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
You are welcome benne911

i am not sure u would be very happy with penitum D's performance especially the heat and noise it generates, it is bascially two pentium 4 put together. If i had the money, which i dont :( i will buy an athlon x2 just because it is very very cheap and smokes the pentium d hands down, yes u might have to return ur 530J, and ur mobo, but in the end it is really worth it... especially if u are going socket am2.

I am not sure about what mobo u are talking abuot when u say dual pci-e X16 slots with SLI technology... if u need sli then get it, but if u dont need it dont get an sli motherboard, and save ur self money, spend it on better processor, better ram etc.

Just as an advice getting Athlon 64 single-core or dual core is better than pentium 4 and pentium d, and they offer better performance, lower heat consumption, and quiet operation. if u are interested what u can do is return that 530J of urs and get a decent athlon 64 3500+ single core which will beat that 530J in almost every single benchmark at a cheaper price i think. It is just an advice, but if u are happy with ur 530J and u manage to fix that overheating and lagging in games problem then u should be fine. If u want u can get a core 2 duo, but those things are pretty expensive especially the motherboards for them, and u dont have to get the best to actually feel performance increases over that pentium 4.

Good Luck :D

benne911

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
i would like to return it and get the amd but thing is i bought my parts online from different sites about 10 months ago so i doubt id be able to figure out where and then acutally get them to accept a return. So i was figuring for the time being i would just buy the new motherboard that supports all the new pentiums including my 530J and in the future i can go either with pentium or take the 130 loss on the new mobo and go amd. Thanks

benne911

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
just one more question about this problem:
Also, I just wanted to throw this out there too. Earlier like i wrote about the clicking noise that is comparable to the sound a door makes when it creaks slowly, only that it happens rapidly. It seems as if it is coming from area of the processor but could this possibly be something wrong with the fan on the vid card thus making vid card overheat and my performance decrease? The only reason i wasnt thinking this was right is because the performance decreases during normal use and the sound is heard if you do too much such as multiple internet explorer es open at once or running a flash game online etc, thus leading me to believe there is something wrong with processor and not the vid card. the noise is heard practically when the pc is under any load small or large except for idle. i also dnt think its my cpu fan because i have corecell which monitors fans speed and the speed is staying relatively the same speed when the noise is heard or unheard. Any hints?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
just one more question about this problem:
Also, I just wanted to throw this out there too. Earlier like i wrote about the clicking noise that is comparable to the sound a door makes when it creaks slowly, only that it happens rapidly. It seems as if it is coming from area of the processor but could this possibly be something wrong with the fan on the vid card thus making vid card overheat and my performance decrease? The only reason i wasnt thinking this was right is because the performance decreases during normal use and the sound is heard if you do too much such as multiple internet explorer es open at once or running a flash game online etc, thus leading me to believe there is something wrong with processor and not the vid card. the noise is heard practically when the pc is under any load small or large except for idle. i also dnt think its my cpu fan because i have corecell which monitors fans speed and the speed is staying relatively the same speed when the noise is heard or unheard. Any hints?
You don't happen to have a cheap video card laying around, do you....even an old PCI card to try? If not, do you know someone that you can borrow a vid card from? Will only take 5 minutes to find out if that's the problem. Another possibility would be to aim a fairly powerful fan directly at the vid. cards HS, which should keep it from overheating even if it's fan is dying. Make sure to try one of these ideas, or something, before you start ordering new CPU/mobo, then end up still having the problem. GL :)

benne911

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Thats one of my problems, i have pci express and all my friends still got agp. I was wondering if i could just quickly unplug the vid card fan while pc is on and see if the noise still persists and if so i know it isnt the vid card. I wouldnt put any load such as a game on the card while the fan is briefly unplugged. Or should i turn off the computer and disconnect the video card fan and then boot and see if the noise is still there. Thanks

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Thats one of my problems, i have pci express and all my friends still got agp. I was wondering if i could just quickly unplug the vid card fan while pc is on and see if the noise still persists and if so i know it isnt the vid card. I wouldnt put any load such as a game on the card while the fan is briefly unplugged. Or should i turn off the computer and disconnect the video card fan and then boot and see if the noise is still there. Thanks
I would remove the vid cards fan altogether, and throw a spare fan on top of it...to cool the HS. Then try some graphic intensive apps(games), while keeping tabs on the GPU's HS temp(feel it frequently). This should clear up the uncertainty of whether it's the GPU fan, or something else. GL :)

benne911

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
thanks again. Im actually just trying to see if that clicking noise is my gpu fan. thats why i was wondering if i could unlpug it to see if the clicking still persists. If i still hear the sound with the fan unplugged i would know its the processor. I am still going to build my new pc anyways, ive had nothing but problems with this setup and i think its time to change. I was just wondering if its ok to unplug the fan