26 bit reverse zone

How to configure a 26bit reverse zone using windows 2000?

If this is a delegated, publicly-available reverse from your ISP then you need to follow their naming conventions for the
delegation. These days this is usually from RFC2317, but there are lots of conventions in use. You have to ask them.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=174419 has more details.

If this is a private delegation and you can't simply subsume the entire class-C range, then it is easy enough to just create 64
separate zones for each of the IP addresses in your range.

You can see how this works if you open the DNS MMC. Create a reverse primary zone, but click the box to name the zone explicitly.
Reverse your four IP octets and add the .in-addr.arpa suffix to that to get the zone name. Then when the zone is created add a
no-name ("same as parent folder") ptr RR record and point it to the name you desire for this IP.

You have to repeat this for each IP in the range, so unless you are very fast on the mouse a text editor on a .dns file is highly
recommended to speed things along.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"" wrote:
> How to configure a 26bit reverse zone using windows 2000?

you cannot...

you can only create 8, 16 or 24 bit zones

cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/DNS-26-bit-reverse-zone-ftopict554618.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1761417

In news:O477qv8gFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Jean Carlos Bormanieri <jean.bormanieri@cetil.com.br> posted this:
> How to configure a 26bit reverse zone using windows 2000?

There is no reason why you cannot. There are basically two ways the ISP
delegates this to you.

1. Delegation to your domain name. This sort of reverse delegation follows
your domain name to the current authoritative DNS for your domain name. Your
ISP will create a Cname for the PTR 0.0.168.192.in-addr.domain.com.
In this type of delegation you create a sub domain in the forward zone for
the domain names "in-addr", then in that create a sub domain named 192, in
the 192 create a sub domain named 168, in the 168 create a sub domain named
0. In the 0 sub domain create PTRs with the IP number and give it the host
name.
To see how this delegation works look at this one I did:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ptr.ch?ip=68.95.28.153

For this type of delegation to work, the DNS hosting provider must allow you
to create PTR records in the forward lookup zone. Not all allow that.

2, Delegation to an authoritative DNS server that has a glue record in the
gTLD servers. This delegation is the simplest and least confusing to set up.
An example using 192.168.0.0. You have to create the reverse lookup zone
based on the name the ISP delegates it to by Cname, it could be
0.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.or
0-63.0.0.3168.192.in-addr.arpa., Whatever name they use create a reverse
lookup zone for that name, then create the PTR for the IP number in that
zone. Here is a working example of this type of delegation:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ptr.ch?ip=65.65.91.209

Notice what seems to be an extra Octet in the IP address?
It is because it was delegated to an unusable IP address in the block of
addresses.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

In news:3_1761417_f87991f4c859aea03385963d0cd5eb5a@windowsforumz.com,
Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> stated, which I
then commented on below:
> "" wrote:
>> How to configure a 26bit reverse zone using windows 2000?
>
> you cannot...
>
> you can only create 8, 16 or 24 bit zones
>
> cheers,

Actually you can. Steve Duff [MVP] provided the article that shows you how:

How to configure a subnetted reverse lookup zone on Windows NT, Windows
2000, or Windows Server 2003:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=174419

--
Regards,