Sign in with
Your question

Help Build Conroe System; Want Most Bang For Buck, $1500MAX

Last response: in Systems
August 22, 2006 10:35:05 AM

Let me first start off by saying that this forum looks promising; Stumbled upon it from google and word of mouth. Anyways, here are with my dilemma.

I have $1500 that I can spend on a system, but I keep getting around $1800 so it appears I will need some things "slashed" from my proposed build. Please, any advice will be taken seriously as this is my first, non-stoneage build (I have been building Socket 370 Computers for about three years now with NO Newer technology; I was given a dozen old boards and made them work)

THIS $1500 Budget is for hardware only. I will buy software once this is completed so please don't take Windows/Apps into consideration.
I WILL BE USING THIS COMPUTER FOR DAY-TO-DAY TASKS INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO CHECKING E-MAIL, SURFING THE WEB, DOWNLOADING AND TRYING NEW APPS, VIRTUAL PC, MULTIMEDIA (MUSIC; MP3 EXTRACTING AND BURNING, VIDEO; DVD RIPPING, ENCODING, BURNING; VIDEO EDITING, AND I WOULD LIKE THE ABILITY TO GO TO BESTBUY AND BUY THE LATEST GAME AND PLAY IT WITHOUT A HITCH. OK, I am done yelling. Well, anyway here is the system/prices for my build

A SILENT COMPUTER IS IMPORTANT AS WELL

E6600 Conroe Processor $360
Motherboard P532SLN-SLI SE Deluxe $250
***Note, I am not 100% sure of this board yet, I may be patient and wait for a newer more overclockable board to emerge with SLI compatibility and possibly the INTEL chip that everyone is raving for
Corsair 2 x 1 GB (Total 2GB) 6400C4 $254
Seasonic S12-330 (330 Watt PSU) $ 54
Benq DW1650 DVD-RW $ 35
Lite-On CD/CD-RW/DVD Combo $ 30
Asus EN7600GT Silent Video Card $210
Keyboard + Mouse NEW; I"M SICK OF MINE!!! $20

After shipping and everything it comes about $1850 or so...
I have spent $610 on a Moniter, Case, and hard drive so I have about
$890 ($900) to spend on the above. The total of the above is 1200$ so, I nee to shave off $300, if possible. Thank you.

I mean, do I need all this? Is anything excessive. I think I am having the hardest time selecting the RAM for the machine. I am new to the newer Ram technology, but I am mainly confused with overclocking. I want to overclock, but not too extreme. Just whatever I can get away with with the stock fan/heatsink I guess
August 22, 2006 12:30:19 PM

Quote:
Let me first start off by saying that this forum looks promising; Stumbled upon it from google and word of mouth. Anyways, here are with my dilemma.

I have $1500 that I can spend on a system, but I keep getting around $1800 so it appears I will need some things "slashed" from my proposed build. Please, any advice will be taken seriously as this is my first, non-stoneage build (I have been building Socket 370 Computers for about three years now with NO Newer technology; I was given a dozen old boards and made them work)

THIS $1500 Budget is for hardware only. I will buy software once this is completed so please don't take Windows/Apps into consideration.
I WILL BE USING THIS COMPUTER FOR DAY-TO-DAY TASKS INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO CHECKING E-MAIL, SURFING THE WEB, DOWNLOADING AND TRYING NEW APPS, VIRTUAL PC, MULTIMEDIA (MUSIC; MP3 EXTRACTING AND BURNING, VIDEO; DVD RIPPING, ENCODING, BURNING; VIDEO EDITING, AND I WOULD LIKE THE ABILITY TO GO TO BESTBUY AND BUY THE LATEST GAME AND PLAY IT WITHOUT A HITCH. OK, I am done yelling. Well, anyway here is the system/prices for my build

A SILENT COMPUTER IS IMPORTANT AS WELL

***Note, I am not 100% sure of this board yet, I may be patient and wait for a newer more overclockable board to emerge with SLI compatibility and possibly the INTEL chip that everyone is raving for
Antec 180-B Case $130
*Not budging here as I love this case
Benq DW1650 DVD-RW $ 35
Seagate 320 GB Sata Drive $ 99
Samsung 204B 20" LCD Monitor $340

After shipping and everything it comes about $1850 or so...

I mean, do I need all this? Is anything excessive. I think I am having the hardest time selecting the RAM for the machine. I am new to the newer Ram technology, but I am mainly confused with overclocking. I want to overclock, but not too extreme. Just whatever I can get away with with the stock fan/heatsink I guess

Using a stock heatsink/fan isnt ideal, I wouldn't try, for OCing as the little gain isnt worth the warranty. For about $50 you can buy a top of the line heatsink /fan and thermal gel. If you going to OC the best CPU would be the E6300 as OC'ers are getting over 3GHz on air alone.

OEM E6300 and OCing heatsink/Fan with thermal gel should save about $130 over the E6600 price. The E6600 currently is hard to find and where I've found it, its on backorder. If you dont want to endure the process of OCing I would suggest the stock E6400 which is easy to find and will save you around $100.

Nvidia 570 mobo's are comming with prices around $139 and most all Nvidia chipsets are highly overclockable. The rave about the new Intel chipset is due to the DX10 integrated chip and better C2D compatibility. The nvidia 570/590's already has these features at a price Intel most likly cant touch.

The Nvidia DX10 G80 are set to lunch around the next 2 months. The mid range G80's should have better performance over the 7600GT and a greatly increased life span.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nvidia-ATI-Launch-G80-an...
August 22, 2006 12:32:20 PM

Well the first thing that stood out when i read your build was the Power Supply. I'm not quite sure if 330W will get the job done. You should think along the lines of maybe 500- 550 watts and take it from there. Which, depending on the PSU you choose, wont cost you more than 60 - 65 USD.

Do you absolutley 100% need SLI? I mean, you aren't going to get the best bang for you're buck and you sure aren't going to get the performance increase that you're money is going towards. I would personally get a single PCI-E mobo and put more money towards you're gpu. Like say a Radeon X1900XT and you will get a big performance boost from that 7600gt and probably save a few bucks in the end anyways.

The monitor is nice, but you should consider the ViewSonic VX922. Its about 270.00 on newegg and is a VERY nice monitor. You're bumping down one inch but adding around 70 dollars back into you're budget. So i think its a worthy sacrifice.

Do you really need 2 DVD drives? Just curious...

Well, thats all the advice i can give because my boss keeps on staring at me like im doing something im not supposed to be doing.. which i am. So whenever you get what you decide let us know.

Cheers
August 22, 2006 12:35:48 PM

Quote:

Benq DW1650 DVD-RW $ 35

1. If you want SLI then why the Seasonic S12 330? You'll need more power.

2. SLI isn't really worth it unless you are dealing with the higher end 7900GT or GTX.

3. Based on 1 & 2 ditch the SLI motherboard and get a regular mobo with 1 PCI-e x16 slot to save some money.

4. You can save some money on RAM. Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4 2GB DDR2-675 XMS2-5400 for $189. There is also a $30 mail-in rebate.
!