AMD's Dual Core Laptops Have Arrived: Introducing the Turio

pschmid

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
AMD's mobile 64 bit dual core CPU 64 X2 is neck and neck with Intel competitor Core Duo - at least in some areas. Is there enough here to convince you to opt for a Turion 64 X2 laptop?

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Might want to proof read posts before submitting them. .com.com isn't a valid domain :tongue:
it was probably a typo. If you weren't so lazy you could have removed the second .com and see that the link works

Alyarbank

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
So far I'm reluctant. I would love an AMD laptop with a more powerful graphics solution and a Dual core CPU. I have a mobile athlonXP 2800+ at the moment and like it a lot, but the graphics aren't up to snuff. For my personal (non-work related) laptop I had to get a Intel CPU because this is the only option if you would like a good graphics solution in a laptop for a reasonable price. I was looking at the Clevo notebooks for a while but they're just too expensive. I could build Two decent desktops for that kind of money. I was excited when I first heard of th Turion X2's but now it looks as if the Intel platform is just a smarter buy. I can get a 7900GTX or even 7900GTX SLI with a Core Duo, but with AMD we are limited to IGP and Hyper-Memory, descreat = 128MB+system RAM. :roll:

geralt

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I wonder why there is no gaming benchmarks?
Turion's IGP appears to be better than Intel IGP and this should help it to achieve significantly higher scores.
Is Tom omitting the gaming performance on purpose? :?

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I might be convinced, if it's cheap enough. Turion X2 will be competing against Merom by then so hopefully AMD's pricing will be agressive. My next laptop will have a dual-core CPU and I'll evaluate the offerings of both companies at that time, like I always do. While Merom will probably outperform the X2, when it comes to laptops I'll settle for less performance if the price is good.

Windaria

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
You know... it is funny. Remember back when AMD released the first x86 64 bit processor, and it blew the Itanium 64 bit solution out of the way and everyone was salivating at the thought of a working 64 bit version of Windows? Remember how Microsoft announced delay after delay at even introducing the first 64 bit version and how, when they did, it was so pitiful and obviously didn't have any real driver support?

Remember how, as a result of that, everyone was quite peeved at Microsoft, saying that the only reason that they were holding back was because they didn't want to embarras Intel so badly since Intel didn't have a good 64 bit core out at the time?

We know that Vista will supposedly have a good 64 bit version at launch (unless they hold back because Intel is only releasing 32 bit laptop processors again). Well, if you want to upgrade to Vista in the future, which may not be too far away now, then you will want the option of 64 bit, I would think.

Well, now there is a 64 bit laptop processor out there, and no one is really even mentioning that, by comparison, the Core processor is absolutely crippled in terms of future upgrades.

I'm not saying that this should warrant a lot of attention or anything, but it should at the least be MENTIONED. Instead, at the end of this article, they give this patronizing garbage about "well, maybe someone should buy some Turion 64 X2s so that they can keep Intel from taking over" kind of line. Why not mention a real, solid, reason based on the technical merits of the platform, like saying that "While you may get the fastest dual core laptop out at the moment by buying a Core Duo laptop, buying a Turion 64 X2 will provide a better software upgrade path in the future."

I just wish that the review sites would stop sweeping this glaring omission on the part of Intel under the rug and pretending it doesn't exist. Just a mention, that's all, just mention it...

Particularly for those of us who will be running Linux on their laptops... as I couldn't imagine not getting a 64-bit capable laptop.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
You know... it is funny. Remember back when AMD released the first x86 64 bit processor, and it blew the Itanium 64 bit solution out of the way and everyone was salivating at the thought of a working 64 bit version of Windows? Remember how Microsoft announced delay after delay at even introducing the first 64 bit version and how, when they did, it was so pitiful and obviously didn't have any real driver support?

Remember how, as a result of that, everyone was quite peeved at Microsoft, saying that the only reason that they were holding back was because they didn't want to embarras Intel so badly since Intel didn't have a good 64 bit core out at the time?

We know that Vista will supposedly have a good 64 bit version at launch (unless they hold back because Intel is only releasing 32 bit laptop processors again). Well, if you want to upgrade to Vista in the future, which may not be too far away now, then you will want the option of 64 bit, I would think.

Well, now there is a 64 bit laptop processor out there, and no one is really even mentioning that, by comparison, the Core processor is absolutely crippled in terms of future upgrades.

I'm not saying that this should warrant a lot of attention or anything, but it should at the least be MENTIONED. Instead, at the end of this article, they give this patronizing garbage about "well, maybe someone should buy some Turion 64 X2s so that they can keep Intel from taking over" kind of line. Why not mention a real, solid, reason based on the technical merits of the platform, like saying that "While you may get the fastest dual core laptop out at the moment by buying a Core Duo laptop, buying a Turion 64 X2 will provide a better software upgrade path in the future."

I just wish that the review sites would stop sweeping this glaring omission on the part of Intel under the rug and pretending it doesn't exist. Just a mention, that's all, just mention it...

Particularly for those of us who will be running Linux on their laptops... as I couldn't imagine not getting a 64-bit capable laptop.

I think the new Intel Merom are 64-bit enabled. You realize that in a world whre 99.99 percent of programs are native 32-bit, preformance gained by a 64-bits operating system is next to nothing. In a prefect world it would take you an eye blink to convert them all, in reality it takes years. It is just childish to think everybody switches to 64-bit as soon as Microsoft put a 64-bit OS out. There is much more involved and has nothing to do with hardware

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Might want to proof read posts before submitting them. .com.com isn't a valid domain :tongue:
it was probably a typo. If you weren't so lazy you could have removed the second .com and see that the link works

I did remove the extra .com to read the article, I was mainly warning others that if they click the link it won't work.

Windaria

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
I think the new Intel Merom are 64-bit enabled. You realize that in a world whre 99.99 percent of programs are native 32-bit, preformance gained by a 64-bits operating system is next to nothing. In a prefect world it would take you an eye blink to convert them all, in reality it takes years. It is just childish to think everybody switches to 64-bit as soon as Microsoft put a 64-bit OS out. There is much more involved and has nothing to do with hardware.

Your post actually cites several of the problems with tech journalists that don't even mention 64 bit when it comes to Intel... think. You think Intel Merom are 64-bit enabled? Problem is, not too many people know because no one really mentions it when writing these articles, and you really have to search to find that information. As a result it hasn't really entered the public consciousness in the way it has with AMD.

Next, 99.99 percent of programs are native 32-bit. In the windows world, absolutely true. In the linux world, far more open source programs are 64 and 32 bit (and I had specifically cited Linux in my post...)

Finally, you are absolutely correct, it would be childish to believe that everyone would switch to 64 bit when Microsoft released a 64 bit OS. Did I even insinuate that? No... I was insinuating that Microsoft was trying to hold back AMD's advantage by slowing down the 64 bit adoption in order to not embarrass Intel, thusly putting off the beginning of the transition to 64 bit.

I'm not saying let's wave a magic wand and watch it happen, but we should be working on the transition by doing no more than at the very least MENTIONING this aspect.

Alyarbank

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I agree...
In fact I run SuSE 10.1 x86_64 and I will be looking for a 64bit CPU in my next laptop. This makes my dilema that much more annoying. I haven't made a move on Core Duo because it's only 32bit, I think Merom is supposed to be 64bit. So it looks like I'm going to have to wait until Core Octo or something like that before Merom is affordable. And hence I still have the graphics problem as well. Hopefully the AMD-ATI deal could change the GPU situation for the better. Until then I'm waiting patiently :)

Windaria

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Also... with regards to the mentioned AMD Notebook Portal. What a nice site. Can anyone actually find it in English though?

I mean, I don't mind reading it in German. I am mildly familiar with the language but, unfortunately, when it comes to technical terms I am unfamiliar with them when they are not in English.

Be nice if the article also mentioned that the sites it was referring to weren't even available in English, considering the article was displayed in English...

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
oh, sorry then

No problem.

I am looking forward merom ... not so much a fan of Turion X2. I could go into details, but lets face it Intel just makes a better mobile chip. Turion X2 makes a nice shot at the title but still got knocked out in the 2nd round.

Windaria

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
I agree...
In fact I run SuSE 10.1 x86_64 and I will be looking for a 64bit CPU in my next laptop. This makes my dilema that much more annoying. I haven't made a move on Core Duo because it's only 32bit, I think Merom is supposed to be 64bit. So it looks like I'm going to have to wait until Core Octo or something like that before Merom is affordable. And hence I still have the graphics problem as well. Hopefully the AMD-ATI deal could change the GPU situation for the better. Until then I'm waiting patiently :)

Thank you for illustrating my point. You posted before I ever did, and indicated you were leaning toward a Core 2. Then you stop and think of the 64 bit and that throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing.

The fact is, particularly for those of us who run Linux or who will be possibly looking at upgrading when Vista comes out, 64 bit MATTERS, and as a result should at the very least be MENTIONED every time one of these articles comes out.

After all, most new processors that are coming out are fast enough to handle most any program other than games quite well (well, unless you are compiling code or running some cool 3d graphics software). As a result, I would argue that features are more important than speed, so when a key feature is MISSING from a processor, that should be important enough to mention.

You'd almost think that Intel threatened hardware reviewers and told them that those of them who make a deal out of this were going to be cut off...

Oh well, after looking at Core 2 Duo, it looks like it will be 64 bit, so now I will likely just have to wait even longer to get a laptop with one. Particularly since I am hoping to get an Acer TravelMate that is multi-core and 64 bit (I like their curved keyboards), and if it is Core 2 Duo, then so be it--I'm not beholden to Intel or AMD.

Then again, by the time Core 2 Duo starts actually showing up in laptops, maybe the Turion 64 X4s will be out (could have sworn that I saw something about that for '07, or was that just for desktops?).

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

HUH? Itanium running windoz? AMD blowing Itanium out of the way? Did I miss something?

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Then again, by the time Core 2 Duo starts actually showing up in laptops, maybe the Turion 64 X4s will be out (could have sworn that I saw something about that for '07, or was that just for desktops?).

The processor you are talking about is Merom, it is the mobile version of Core 2 Duo. I don't know the actual name it will be given. From what I recall, its supposed to ship late August or early September.

ntrepid8

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
I think ultimately it will come down to where these CPUs fall on the price/performance curve. Intel’s offering with the Core 2 Duo product will be pretty nice, but if AMD prices the Turion X2 properly it should be very competitive.

I think you hit it on the head. The x86_64 spec has been out there for years and there are three well-developed, robust, stable OSes with good driver and application support for them that run on those chips. One would be a fool not to get a CPU that supports it as x86_64 has proven to be the next dominant PC CPU architecture over IA64 and PPC64. Many of us plan to keep a computer for more than a year or so and it will be increasingly hard to run everything you want to run in the 2-3GB address space that's (easily) given by 32-bit OSes.

I run 64-bit Linux on my dual-core 64-bit desktop and I can say that I have had just about zero problems with running it compared to the i686 version. The x86_64 version is faster- significantly faster in floating-point heavy applications like encoding or intensive mathematical programs. Those same programs also can benefit from higher precision by being able to use far longer integer values. Driver support? If it's available in i686, it's available in 64-bit. Yes, even the ATI and NVIDIA binaries. App support? Ditto, and if your application you want to run is a 32-bit binary, a multilib system with the emul-32-bit packages will execute 32-bit programs with little to no speed decrease. That is the default setup on just about every x86_64 Linux out there. About the only thing I have noticed is that you will want to use a 32-bit binary version of Firefox rather than the 64-bit Konqueror to see Flash websites, and a binary 32-bit XMMS/Mplayer/Xine to use the win32codecs. Those are very small potatoes.

I can't say much about Windows as I do not run Windows on my system. Supposedly XP x86_64 is the Win 3.11s of the modern day and Vista x64 isn't anywhere near shipping quality, even by Redmond's standards.

hucklongfin

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
"Therefore, under equal conditions, it can only be regarded as the second choice - if it is worth getting at all... Nevertheless, we continue to encourage users to purchase AMD laptops. Otherwise, Intel may become a second Waterloo for all users, relegating AMD laptop processors to the dustbins of history."

I think it's a good idea to encourage people to take their hard earned dollars to buy second rate products just to keep the mfg in busiiness. However, I think they should go first.

mjp1618

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
I was insinuating that Microsoft was trying to hold back AMD's advantage by slowing down the 64 bit adoption in order to not embarrass Intel, thusly putting off the beginning of the transition to 64 bit.

How much market share does AMD have? How much did they have in 2003?

MS probably did not want to waste time releasing an OS that would be useful to only 20% of the PC market.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Tom's mentioned something about not wanting to test 3d performance just yet... however, I did find this if it may interest you: AMD's 3D Gaming Overall Benchmarks

Sure, I know that it can be bias, but think what you will. The test systems benchmarked were an integrated Geforce 6150 (Turion X2 TL60) platform vs. an integrated Intel GMA 950 (Core Duo T2500) platform.

Anyways, does anyone know when more barebone laptop systems for the Turion X2 will begin showing up? Also, when will the prices for the TL60 come down? I'm finding them at around $420, compared to AMD's 1000 unit pricing of around $356.

pollom

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Recommendation for MSI s271 users, change thermal grease to Artic Silver 5. 8)
Increase battery life like 15 minutes :D
i have msi s271 and run's great, only for $1,100