Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Kiss expensive mobile rates in Australia goodbye ?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 4:01:30 PM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

I have downloaded and installed the Skype software. It only costs 3cents a
minute to call a mobile or landline anywhere in Australia. ALOT cheaper than
what mobile phone companies charge.

A question I have though is if I purchase a pocket PC phone (probably
i-mate) and install the skype software and ring people using it thats fine,
however my 2 year contract is up with telstra mobile shortly and I was
wondering how people would be able to contact me.

Would it be as simple as buying a pre-paid sim and putting it in the pocket
pc. If it is that easy, am I able to take my mobile phone number with me or
do I get any old number on a pre paid card ?

Is there another way to do it ? Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Adam
Adam_Slattery@hotmail.com
January 4, 2005 4:18:32 PM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Hulkster" <Youwish@home.com> wrote in message
news:KswCd.103466$K7.40771@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> I have downloaded and installed the Skype software. It only costs 3cents a
> minute to call a mobile or landline anywhere in Australia. ALOT cheaper
than
> what mobile phone companies charge.
>
> A question I have though is if I purchase a pocket PC phone (probably
> i-mate) and install the skype software and ring people using it thats
fine,
> however my 2 year contract is up with telstra mobile shortly and I was
> wondering how people would be able to contact me.
>
> Would it be as simple as buying a pre-paid sim and putting it in the
pocket
> pc. If it is that easy, am I able to take my mobile phone number with me
or
> do I get any old number on a pre paid card ?

Just convert your postpaid service to a prepaid service. Easy
Keep same number
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:08:18 AM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:01:30 GMT, "Hulkster" <Youwish@home.com> wrote:

>I have downloaded and installed the Skype software. It only costs 3cents a
>minute to call a mobile or landline anywhere in Australia. ALOT cheaper than
>what mobile phone companies charge.

You are wrong about the rate to Australian mobile numbers. See
<http://www.skype.com/products/skypeout/rates/all_rates....;
Related resources
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:08:19 AM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Australia AUD 0.030 AUD 0.034


Looks like 3 cents to me

"Charlie Wong" <willwasteyou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:q55lt053r8rejjqio9eotel5hblvcugpmt@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:01:30 GMT, "Hulkster" <Youwish@home.com> wrote:
>
> >I have downloaded and installed the Skype software. It only costs 3cents
a
> >minute to call a mobile or landline anywhere in Australia. ALOT cheaper
than
> >what mobile phone companies charge.
>
> You are wrong about the rate to Australian mobile numbers. See
> <http://www.skype.com/products/skypeout/rates/all_rates....;
January 5, 2005 3:08:20 AM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Hulkster" <Youwish@home.com> wrote in message
news:GHwCd.103480$K7.25702@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Australia AUD 0.030 AUD 0.034
>
> Looks like 3 cents to me

Trying looking at the line under it which says "Australia (mobile)" and its
something like 22c per minute
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 4:03:16 AM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:17:26 GMT, "Hulkster" <Youwish@home.com> wrote:

> Australia AUD 0.030 AUD 0.034
>
>
>Looks like 3 cents to me

Australia AUD 0.030 AUD 0.034
Australia - Mobile AUD 0.288 AUD 0.332
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 9:25:54 AM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Hulkster wrote:
> I have downloaded and installed the Skype software. It only costs 3cents a
> minute to call a mobile or landline anywhere in Australia. ALOT cheaper than
> what mobile phone companies charge.
>
> A question I have though is if I purchase a pocket PC phone (probably
> i-mate) and install the skype software and ring people using it thats fine,
> however my 2 year contract is up with telstra mobile shortly and I was
> wondering how people would be able to contact me.

The Skype software for pocket PC is principally designed for use with
high speed low latency networks like WiFi. If you use it with GPRS or
1xRTT you'll have very poor call quality.

> Would it be as simple as buying a pre-paid sim and putting it in the pocket
> pc. If it is that easy, am I able to take my mobile phone number with me or
> do I get any old number on a pre paid card ?
>
> Is there another way to do it ? Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Adam
> Adam_Slattery@hotmail.com
>
>
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 10:18:25 AM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:01:30 GMT, "Hulkster" <Youwish@home.com> wrote:

>I have downloaded and installed the Skype software. It only costs 3cents a
>minute to call a mobile or landline anywhere in Australia. ALOT cheaper than
>what mobile phone companies charge.
>
>A question I have though is if I purchase a pocket PC phone (probably
>i-mate) and install the skype software and ring people using it thats fine,
>however my 2 year contract is up with telstra mobile shortly and I was
>wondering how people would be able to contact me.
>
>Would it be as simple as buying a pre-paid sim and putting it in the pocket
>pc. If it is that easy, am I able to take my mobile phone number with me or
>do I get any old number on a pre paid card ?
>
>Is there another way to do it ? Any suggestions would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Adam
>Adam_Slattery@hotmail.com
>

Try www.sipphone.com standards compliant VOIP, not like SKYPE and free
to all Australian landlines at the moment.

Just a happy customer.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 10:18:26 AM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

In article <8v1mt09mp3kkk7dqbsaebjcp0emsc5hdfd@4ax.com>, A User
<serge-newnew2715@mailblocks.com> wrote:

> Try www.sipphone.com standards compliant VOIP, not like SKYPE and free
> to all Australian landlines at the moment.

The caveat... With major limits. 5mins/day if you've credited US$20 in
your account. Otherwise it's 1min call for a combined 5mins/day max.
Not practical for most.

--
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 8:44:15 PM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 01:58:45 GMT, Whytoi <whytoi@hotmail.com> wrote:

>In article <8v1mt09mp3kkk7dqbsaebjcp0emsc5hdfd@4ax.com>, A User
><serge-newnew2715@mailblocks.com> wrote:
>
>> Try www.sipphone.com standards compliant VOIP, not like SKYPE and free
>> to all Australian landlines at the moment.
>
>The caveat... With major limits. 5mins/day if you've credited US$20 in
>your account. Otherwise it's 1min call for a combined 5mins/day max.
>Not practical for most.

That would not be worth it if it was 5 minutes.

But it's acutally free http://sipphone.com/5free1/

Been that way for about a month.

"Free calls to Australian landlines

Now use your SIPphone to make free unlimited calls to Australian
landline (PSTN) phones. If you have SIP Minutes dial 051 and then the
Australian number. Like this: 051-61-2-9245-XXXX

* For a limited time
* SIPphone reserves the right to cancel this promotion at any
time"
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:11:43 AM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Sounds complicated and won't work too well unless you're using broadband.

A further problem: Skype doesn't have servers in Australia and is prone to
considerable latency.

A further problem: Skype charges around 30c/min to call an Aus mobile, not
3c. I do agree, however, that Skype's price to Aus landlines is amongst the
best in the VoIP consumer space. But beware the latency issue.


"Hulkster" <Youwish@home.com> wrote in message
news:KswCd.103466$K7.40771@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>I have downloaded and installed the Skype software. It only costs 3cents a
> minute to call a mobile or landline anywhere in Australia. ALOT cheaper
> than
> what mobile phone companies charge.
>
> A question I have though is if I purchase a pocket PC phone (probably
> i-mate) and install the skype software and ring people using it thats
> fine,
> however my 2 year contract is up with telstra mobile shortly and I was
> wondering how people would be able to contact me.
>
> Would it be as simple as buying a pre-paid sim and putting it in the
> pocket
> pc. If it is that easy, am I able to take my mobile phone number with me
> or
> do I get any old number on a pre paid card ?
>
> Is there another way to do it ? Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Adam
> Adam_Slattery@hotmail.com
>
>
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:11:44 AM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 02:11:43 +1030, "The Family"
<someone@somewhere.com> wrote:

>A further problem: Skype doesn't have servers in Australia and is prone to
>considerable latency.

I don't think that calls go through servers on Skype. It uses p2p
techniques, with p2p providing distributed servers as "directory
enquiries", AFAIK.



--

Iain
the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
Browse now while stocks last!
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:37:38 AM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

you have to pay gprs charges too...
well thats without reading the post carefully at all...

"Hulkster" <Youwish@home.com> wrote in message
news:KswCd.103466$K7.40771@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>I have downloaded and installed the Skype software. It only costs 3cents a
> minute to call a mobile or landline anywhere in Australia. ALOT cheaper
> than
> what mobile phone companies charge.
>
> A question I have though is if I purchase a pocket PC phone (probably
> i-mate) and install the skype software and ring people using it thats
> fine,
> however my 2 year contract is up with telstra mobile shortly and I was
> wondering how people would be able to contact me.
>
> Would it be as simple as buying a pre-paid sim and putting it in the
> pocket
> pc. If it is that easy, am I able to take my mobile phone number with me
> or
> do I get any old number on a pre paid card ?
>
> Is there another way to do it ? Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Adam
> Adam_Slattery@hotmail.com
>
>
January 6, 2005 5:37:39 AM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Simon Templar" <usenet@vk3xem.net> wrote in message
news:41dc0c5b$1_3@news.melbourne.pipenetworks.com...
> Daniel Juhn wrote:
> > you have to pay gprs charges too...
> > well thats without reading the post carefully at all...
> >
>
> Get a Vodafone pre-paid ($2 at numerous outlets) and hammer GPRS as much
> as you want without any credit!


Hmmm must get one of those.
Big W (Woolies) are much more careful now, there advertising of the product
indicates now that you must buy a recharge with it.

hmmm
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:57:35 AM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:00:18 +0000, hairydog@despammed.com wrote:

>On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 02:11:43 +1030, "The Family"
><someone@somewhere.com> wrote:
>
>>A further problem: Skype doesn't have servers in Australia and is prone to
>>considerable latency.
>
>I don't think that calls go through servers on Skype. It uses p2p
>techniques, with p2p providing distributed servers as "directory
>enquiries", AFAIK.

It goes through servers for connection to PSTN. It's P2P for Skype to
Skype calls.

And people mislable it as VOIP, it's not standards based, ir's
proprietary.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:57:36 AM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 06:57:35 +1000, A User
<serge-newnew2715@mailblocks.com > wrote:

>It goes through servers for connection to PSTN. It's P2P for Skype to
>Skype calls.

True, but as 18866 is cheaper than SkypeOut, and SkypeOut is not very
good, I'm not interested. Particularly in the absence of SkypeIn.

I suspect that the Skype gateway is in Holland, so calls to and from
Aus may have a fair bit of latency whatever: that's quite a few
thousand miles.

>And people mislable it as VOIP, it's not standards based, ir's
>proprietary.

It is VOIP. That's not mislabelling. It's just not SIP VOIP. Skype is
wonderful: good quality over low bandwidth, a doddle to install, even
behind a firewall. Even my Mum could do it - if she had a computer.

It seems to be a better protocol than SIP, but as you say, it is not
"standard", and because Skype won't let others use the protocol for
free (if at all), it's a dead end.

The future is VOIP, but SIP, probably using PCN G771

It's a pity, but unless Skype open up their protocol, it's dead in the
long term. Remember Betamax? That was technically better too, but it
became "non-standard" and VHS won.


--

Iain
the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
Browse now while stocks last!
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 3:45:44 PM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:37:40 +0000, hairydog@despammed.com wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 06:57:35 +1000, A User
><serge-newnew2715@mailblocks.com > wrote:
>
>>It goes through servers for connection to PSTN. It's P2P for Skype to
>>Skype calls.
>
>True, but as 18866 is cheaper than SkypeOut, and SkypeOut is not very
>good, I'm not interested. Particularly in the absence of SkypeIn.
>
What is 18866? Seems to be a UK service. Not real obvious from the
gaudy web page. Do you use it?

>I suspect that the Skype gateway is in Holland, so calls to and from
>Aus may have a fair bit of latency whatever: that's quite a few
>thousand miles.
>
>>And people mislable it as VOIP, it's not standards based, ir's
>>proprietary.
>
>It is VOIP. That's not mislabelling. It's just not SIP VOIP. Skype is
>wonderful: good quality over low bandwidth, a doddle to install, even
>behind a firewall. Even my Mum could do it - if she had a computer.

Technically correct, but it is proprietary and not standards based.

>It seems to be a better protocol than SIP, but as you say, it is not
>"standard", and because Skype won't let others use the protocol for
>free (if at all), it's a dead end.
>
>The future is VOIP, but SIP, probably using PCN G771

G729 is preferref by some suppliers, especially here in Aus.
>
>It's a pity, but unless Skype open up their protocol, it's dead in the
>long term. Remember Betamax? That was technically better too, but it
>became "non-standard" and VHS won.

Skype will probably have an application, but they will have
competition. They can't compete with Soft PABXs that are now
available.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:49:26 PM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 12:45:44 +1000, A User
<serge-newnew2715@mailblocks.com > wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:37:40 +0000, hairydog@despammed.com wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 06:57:35 +1000, A User
>><serge-newnew2715@mailblocks.com > wrote:
>>
>>>It goes through servers for connection to PSTN. It's P2P for Skype to
>>>Skype calls.
>>
>>True, but as 18866 is cheaper than SkypeOut, and SkypeOut is not very
>>good, I'm not interested. Particularly in the absence of SkypeIn.
>>
>What is 18866? Seems to be a UK service. Not real obvious from the
>gaudy web page. Do you use it?

Yes, it is a UK service. Calls to UK landline numbers for 1p per call.
I've been using it for over 15 months.

>>It is VOIP. That's not mislabelling. It's just not SIP VOIP. Skype is
>>wonderful: good quality over low bandwidth, a doddle to install, even
>>behind a firewall. Even my Mum could do it - if she had a computer.
>
>Technically correct, but it is proprietary and not standards based.

You are wrong. It is VOIP, and it is standards based. However, it is
not open standards based, and Skype have decided not to let others use
their system. It is clearly better for carrying voice over IP, but
unless they open it up, it is doomed.

>>The future is VOIP, but SIP, probably using PCN G771
>
>G729 is preferref by some suppliers, especially here in Aus.

Could be. I have no knowledge of (or interest in) what is used there.

>Skype will probably have an application, but they will have
>competition. They can't compete with Soft PABXs that are now
>available.

I think you are completely missing the point of Skype. It is a
complete no-brainer. You download the .exe install file, double-click
it, and then you only have to enter a username and password to get set
up. Nothing techie to do at all: no port forwarding, no configuration
files to edit. It works out of the box.

It does not seek to offer PBX facilities: it is clearly aimed at the
home or SOHO user, who may want conference calling (it does that) or
answerphone (soon, I understand) but has no need of a PBX.

The Skype protocol is clearly better than the SIP one, but as I said,
it has no real future. Pity.



--

Iain
the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
Browse now while stocks last!
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 3:46:03 AM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

In article <41dc0ab9@duster.adelaide.on.net>, The Family
<someone@somewhere.com> wrote:

> A further problem: Skype doesn't have servers in Australia and is prone to
> considerable latency.
>
> A further problem: Skype charges around 30c/min to call an Aus mobile, not
> 3c. I do agree, however, that Skype's price to Aus landlines is amongst the
> best in the VoIP consumer space. But beware the latency issue.

You are way off the mark on that one. Skype differentiates itself with
other VoIP service by account of its P2P structure. But the issue of
expensive mobile call is true, yet that's the same all round.

--
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 11:06:34 AM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

<hairydog@despammed.com> wrote:

> True, but as 18866 is cheaper than SkypeOut, and SkypeOut is not very
> good, I'm not interested. Particularly in the absence of SkypeIn.

It's cheaper? It's 2p a minute (including VAT) to australia, and skype
out is 1.7 euro cents + vat, which is something like 1.4p per minute all
up.

The other thing I have found is I often have to try 2 or 3 times with
18866 before a get a line that is good enough with my fathers hearing.
Skype out as (so far) been first time everytime.

but this is only a same of a few calls. Until I get my bluetooth
headset working with Skype, I'm sticking to the cordless phone.

joan
--
Joan McGalliard, UK http://www.mcgalliard.org
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:56:11 PM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

hasnt vodafone always sold its starter packs at no extra charge on top of
how much credit you get with it???

"Michael" <michael@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:tv%Cd.105284$K7.52795@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
> "Simon Templar" <usenet@vk3xem.net> wrote in message
> news:41dc0c5b$1_3@news.melbourne.pipenetworks.com...
>> Daniel Juhn wrote:
>> > you have to pay gprs charges too...
>> > well thats without reading the post carefully at all...
>> >
>>
>> Get a Vodafone pre-paid ($2 at numerous outlets) and hammer GPRS as much
>> as you want without any credit!
>
>
> Hmmm must get one of those.
> Big W (Woolies) are much more careful now, there advertising of the
> product
> indicates now that you must buy a recharge with it.
>
> hmmm
>
>
January 7, 2005 2:56:12 PM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Daniel Juhn" <j.u.h.n.remove.the.periods@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:41ddde54$0$3855$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
> hasnt vodafone always sold its starter packs at no extra charge on top of
> how much credit you get with it???

Whats your point?
Everyone does
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:50:05 PM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 08:06:34 +0000, jem*NO-SPAM*@netspace.net.au (Joan
McGalliard) wrote:

>It's cheaper? It's 2p a minute (including VAT) to australia, and skype
>out is 1.7 euro cents + vat, which is something like 1.4p per minute all
>up.

Cheaper for calls to the UK. I have never called a number in Australia
in my entire life, and I doubt I ever shall.

Skype Out call quality is pretty poor, IME.

--

Iain
the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
Browse now while stocks last!
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 10:21:35 PM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

well i spose that makes the $2 starter kits absolutely nothing to take note
of then?

"Michael" <michael@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:9mqDd.107822$K7.33241@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
> "Daniel Juhn" <j.u.h.n.remove.the.periods@optusnet.com.au> wrote in
> message
> news:41ddde54$0$3855$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
>> hasnt vodafone always sold its starter packs at no extra charge on top of
>> how much credit you get with it???
>
> Whats your point?
> Everyone does
>
>
January 7, 2005 10:21:36 PM

Archived from groups: aus.comms.mobile,microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Daniel Juhn" <j.u.h.n.remove.the.periods@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:41de46bd$0$23531$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
> well i spose that makes the $2 starter kits absolutely nothing to take
note
> of then?

Yes, in a lot of situations.

However perfect for
- checking the coverage in your area. no point wasting $20/$25 on a starter
kit if your coverage is shite
- porting in and porting out your number
- hammering gprs for nothing

>
> "Michael" <michael@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:9mqDd.107822$K7.33241@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> >
> > "Daniel Juhn" <j.u.h.n.remove.the.periods@optusnet.com.au> wrote in
> > message
> > news:41ddde54$0$3855$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
> >> hasnt vodafone always sold its starter packs at no extra charge on top
of
> >> how much credit you get with it???
> >
> > Whats your point?
> > Everyone does
> >
> >
>
>
!