Can one DNS Server support 2 or more zone for dynamic upda..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 14, 2005 4:35:41 AM

CASE 1: server : sps
primary DNS suffix : test.com
Zone1 test.com
Zone2 test10000.com

client :NB001
primary DNS suffix : abc.com
connection suffix : test.com
(have enable "Using this connection suffix for DNS
registration)
RESULT: A record can be register to test.com

CASE 1: server : sps
primary DNS suffix : test.com
Zone1 test.com
Zone2 test10000.com

client :NB001
primary DNS suffix : abc.com
connection suffix : test10000.com
(have enable "Using this connection suffix for DNS
registration)
RESULT: None of the record can be register.

It seems that only test.com can support ddns. I have check test10000.com
already support DDNS. Please help, thanks.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 4:35:42 AM

Yes.

A DNS server can support an unlimited number of zones.

Each zone may be of any type (Primary, Secondary, or if a DC it
can be AD Integrated).

If a zone is AD-Integrated or Primary it can be dynamic -- this
is all independent of other zones.

<php> wrote in message news:o uzSli8hFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> CASE 1: server : sps
> primary DNS suffix : test.com

Irrelevant to acting as a DNS server.

> Zone1 test.com
> Zone2 test10000.com
>
> client :NB001
> primary DNS suffix : abc.com
> connection suffix : test.com
> (have enable "Using this connection suffix for DNS
> registration)

Why? Shouldn't it register as it's primary suffix (the one in system
control panel)?

> RESULT: A record can be register to test.com
>
> CASE 1: server : sps
> primary DNS suffix : test.com
> Zone1 test.com
> Zone2 test10000.com
>
> client :NB001
> primary DNS suffix : abc.com
> connection suffix : test10000.com
> (have enable "Using this connection suffix for DNS
> registration)
> RESULT: None of the record can be register.
>
> It seems that only test.com can support ddns. I have check test10000.com
> already support DDNS. Please help, thanks.

What are you really trying to do?

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

In news:o uzSli8hFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
php <php> stated, which I then commented on below:
> CASE 1: server : sps
> primary DNS suffix : test.com
> Zone1 test.com
> Zone2 test10000.com
>
> client :NB001
> primary DNS suffix : abc.com
> connection suffix : test.com
> (have enable "Using this connection suffix for DNS
> registration)
> RESULT: A record can be register to test.com
>
> CASE 1: server : sps
> primary DNS suffix : test.com
> Zone1 test.com
> Zone2 test10000.com
>
> client :NB001
> primary DNS suffix : abc.com
> connection suffix : test10000.com
> (have enable "Using this connection suffix for DNS
> registration)
> RESULT: None of the record can be register.
>
> It seems that only test.com can support ddns. I have check
> test10000.com already support DDNS. Please help, thanks.

Make sure in IP properties, Advanced, DNS tab, you have listed all relevant
zones you want to register in after you click on the radio button that says
"Append these DNS suffixes [in order] and the checkbox below is is set to
"Register this connection's address in DNS.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

=================================
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:02:57 PM

In news:o uzSli8hFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
php <php> posted this:
> CASE 1: server : sps
> primary DNS suffix : test.com
> Zone1 test.com
> Zone2 test10000.com
>
> client :NB001
> primary DNS suffix : abc.com
> connection suffix : test.com
> (have enable "Using this connection suffix for DNS
> registration)
> RESULT: A record can be register to test.com
>
> CASE 1: server : sps
> primary DNS suffix : test.com
> Zone1 test.com
> Zone2 test10000.com
>
> client :NB001
> primary DNS suffix : abc.com
> connection suffix : test10000.com
> (have enable "Using this connection suffix for DNS
> registration)
> RESULT: None of the record can be register.
>
> It seems that only test.com can support ddns. I have check
> test10000.com already support DDNS. Please help, thanks.

Yes, a client can register in zones for both the Primary and Connection DNS
suffix.
If only one zone is being registered in, that would suggest a possible
permission or security issue, if the zones are stored in AD.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps